Oat pancakes (for the non carb fearing members)

robblok

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, cooked said:

Yes, stupid question but as he uses baking soda I thought I was missing something. However on googling I found this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/520634/scottish-oat-cakes

which does involve baking,

So I'm working out the difference between oat pancakes and oat cakes. Pancakes go in a pan, not an oven, baking soda would be pointless if frying?

:sleepy:  :sleep:

What do you call putting them in a frying pan then ?

Try this recipe

A rice cup of oats and 2 tablespoons of seeds(I roate between pumpkin, sunflower, sesame seeds and flax)2 teas spoons of green Tea Macca in a blender until it's like a powder.

Then 500ml of coconut milk

2 Bananas

A kiwi Fruit

And 2 tablespoon of Honey

Blend again

Pour it into 2 plastic Jars with lids and leave overnight it will be like a sweet dessert type mousse but so healthy.

And if you buy all the ingredients for macros it works out about 70THB for 2 portions.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Curiuos,

the 500 ml of coconut milk won't be that healthy (or low in calories anyway) your close to a 1000 calories just on the coconut milk alone. With all the stuff your adding you will be well over 1200 calories (i try to keep my meals below 600 calories in general. 

Thanks for the tip anyway, i might try it anyway. 

Curiuos,

the 500 ml of coconut milk won't be that healthy (or low in calories anyway) your close to a 1000 calories just on the coconut milk alone. With all the stuff your adding you will be well over 1200 calories (i try to keep my meals below 600 calories in general. 

I know I worked it all out on a app but I find it keeps me full for ages.I had a one about 6 hours ago and I still am not hungry.

Also I used to be notorious farter but since I started eating that I hardly ever fart.

Curiuos,

I am thinking of citing the coconut milk in half but I am not sure if it will keep me full

That's 2 portions there plus I have 2 hard boiled eggs that's about 1900 calories a day.

I can't really say if it works because I haven't been doing it for long but I am more trying to be healthy and keep cooking simple and cheap.Screenshot_2018-04-08-20-18-21.png

1 minute ago, juice777 said:

I am thinking of citing the coconut milk in half but I am not sure if it will keep me full

That's 2 portions there plus I have 2 hard boiled eggs that's about 1900 calories a day.

I can't really say if it works because I haven't been doing it for long but I am more trying to be healthy and keep cooking simple and cheap.Screenshot_2018-04-08-20-18-21.png

So your taking 2 portions of this a day.. plus 2 hard boiled eggs.

I try to be at around 1500-1800 calories per day but I need to eat other stuff i want to be a lot higher in protein. So this meal would not really be for me. 

12 hours ago, robblok said:

Thanks, sometimes I miss the finer nuances. 

Problem was that we in the Netherlands use baking for both what you call frying and baking. Frying is something we call what is done with french fries.

One is deep frying (french fries) and the other pan frying.

I used to make oat pancakes every day back in the 90's. I'd stack them 3 high topped with ripe mangoes. Thanks for the reminder.

12 hours ago, cooked said:

Yes, stupid question but as he uses baking soda I thought I was missing something. However on googling I found this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/520634/scottish-oat-cakes

which does involve baking,

So I'm working out the difference between oat pancakes and oat cakes. Pancakes go in a pan, not an oven, baking soda would be pointless if frying?

You don't need the baking soda. That makes them thicker and lighter. I prefer to make them thin rather than thick and fluffy. That's more the American style. I'd call mine crepes to distinguish them. I'd use full cream milk rather than water.

9 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Villa or Foodland might sell sugar-free dietetic syrup.

Or just blend your favourite artificial sweetener into the mix before you cook them so you don't need to add syrup later. I used to blend in a scoop of whey protein powder too.

................with good old American Maple Syrup??  I'd give it a shot, dry without butter and maple Syrup for me would be "whats the point"  Pancakes ar supposed to be fun.............I do admire all your advise on the forum, I jus need a laugh once in a while..........:cheesy:

14 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I'm with you, man. I see pancakes, I think MAPLE SYRUP!!! Genuine, not just the flavored stuff. But I'll have to settle for less. :)

Good Vermont Country Blend Maple Syrup....................I try to carry a few bottles back with me whenever I go to New England.  Aunt Jemima's just don't cut it.

You don't need the baking soda. That makes them thicker and lighter. I prefer to make them thin rather than thick and fluffy. That's more the American style. I'd call mine crepes to distinguish them. I'd use full cream milk rather than water.
I wonder if you could use coconut milk

What trpe of oil do you fry them in?

57 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Slight hijack - given that this is the thread for all things oats. Is there any way to get oats at a reasonable price in Thailand? I pay 75p a kg in the UK (33 baht). In Tesco-Lotus (IIRC) it's two or three times that for 400g. 

Makro, and they used to have a german brand in Big C that i like in green and blue package around 50b for 500 grams

40 minutes ago, robblok said:

Makro, and they used to have a german brand in Big C that i like in green and blue package around 50b for 500 grams

You can get those for the same price at most stores here in Pattaya.

I've been buying steel cut oats, which cost over 200 baht a pack. I'll get the cheaper oats if I make pancakes.

Oats.jpg

Oats 2.jpg

10 hours ago, juice777 said:

I wonder if you could use coconut milk

What trpe of oil do you fry them in?

Sure you can use coconut milk, however, milk increases the protein value of the pancakes.

I fry pancakes in real butter, but I use a Teflon pan, so not much is required.

14 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

................with good old American Maple Syrup??  I'd give it a shot, dry without butter and maple Syrup for me would be "whats the point"  Pancakes ar supposed to be fun.............I do admire all your advise on the forum, I jus need a laugh once in a while..........:cheesy:

I've got some real maple syrup too - Canadian. It ain't cheap, that's for sure. They have quite a good selection at Tops Central Festival in Pattaya.

Slight hijack - given that this is the thread for all things oats. Is there any way to get oats at a reasonable price in Thailand? I pay 75p a kg in the UK (33 baht). In Tesco-Lotus (IIRC) it's two or three times that for 400g. 

75 a kilo in Makro big Red packet or 50THB for 500g everywhere else so not as cheap but still well cheap.

21 hours ago, robblok said:

Curiuos,

Regular canned coconut milk is going to have a ton of saturated fat, not to mention calories.

14 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Good Vermont Country Blend Maple Syrup....................I try to carry a few bottles back with me whenever I go to New England.  Aunt Jemima's just don't cut it.

Even authentic, good quality, pure maple syrup has a ton of sugar content in it.

Regular canned coconut milk is going to have a ton of saturated fat, not to mention calories.

There is a big Debate if it's the bad fat or the good fat it depends on who you want to believe.Today I cut it down to 250Mls and 250mls of water.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's some very interesting research on saturated fats of cow's milk. They appear to have no effect on LDL, LDL and TG levels. I'm not sure about the effect of SFA's in coconut milk, but I suspect it's actually good for you.

Have a read of this - it's very enlightening.

Comprehensive Review of the Impact of Dairy Foods and Dairy Fat on Cardiometabolic Risk - Advances in Nutrition - Oxford Academic.urlhttps://academic.oup.com/advances/article/7/6/1041/4568638

Half of your recommended saturated fat daily intake in just 60 ml of coconut milk.  I've never heard anyone suggesting using 500 ml of the stuff is good for one's health.

If you used the whole can of this, which is less than 500 ml, it would be 3+ times one's recommended daily saturated fat intake -- just from this one source alone. Not to mention 700 calories alone.

5acb458b54c2c_2018-04-0917_47_13.jpg.5542a5c19b4a122a51b51495668abacb.jpg

Except perhaps in Thailand, where sugar, salt and saturated fat are omnipresent.

Just now, tropo said:

There's some very interesting research on saturated fats of cow's milk. They appear to have no effect on LDL, LDL and TG levels. I'm not sure about the effect of SFA's in coconut milk, but I suspect it's actually good for you.

Have a read of this - it's very enlightening.

Comprehensive Review of the Impact of Dairy Foods and Dairy Fat on Cardiometabolic Risk - Advances in Nutrition - Oxford Academic.urlhttps://academic.oup.com/advances/article/7/6/1041/4568638

Coconut milk is not a dairy product.

46 minutes ago, juice777 said:

75 a kilo in Makro big Red packet or 50THB for 500g everywhere else so not as cheap but still well cheap.

75 a kilo is a price I can live with. I eat a kilo a week, and get moody without it! Dr Johnson defined oats as "A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.' What he couldn't have foreseen is that even when the Scots had a choice they still went for the oats. 

[If you want a load of calories in without the bulk of porridge go for soaked oats/muesli. Chop a apple, chuck in a load of nuts, a mug of oats and a mug of milk. Leave it overnight in the fridge. It's a ton of protein and starchy carbohydrate, and because the milk is soaked into the grain it keeps you full all morning. If I make porridge with the same amount of oats it takes for ever to eat and doesn't stick to the ribs.]

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Coconut milk is not a dairy product.

Really? Thanks for that.

So you're not going to read it then?

I would suggest you do. You may learn something about saturated fatty acids and how they are not as bad as people have been projecting. They can actually be very healthy. Specifically fatty acids in milk AND coconut milk.

Really? Thanks for that.

So you're not going to read it then?

I would suggest you do. You may learn something about saturated fatty acids and how they are not as bad as people have been projecting. They can actually be very healthy. Specifically fatty acids in milk AND coconut milk.
The thing is most websites say coconut milk is good for you but a few say it could be completely wrong and no one has really done any proper research.So who do you believe? I have decided that 500ml a day is probably 2 much so I am sticking to what they suggest 250ml.It seems now they all basically agree that coconut oil is no better for you then other oils,so it ant worth the high price in my opinion.But I am still going to keep the milk in my Diet.Just put the health benefits of coconut milk in google and get ready to be confused.

Archived