Oat pancakes (for the non carb fearing members)

robblok

46 minutes ago, juice777 said:

The thing is most websites say coconut milk is good for you but a few say it could be completely wrong and no one has really done any proper research.So who do you believe? I have decided that 500ml a day is probably 2 much so I am sticking to what they suggest 250ml.It seems now they all basically agree that coconut oil is no better for you then other oils,so it ant worth the high price in my opinion.But I am still going to keep the milk in my Diet.Just put the health benefits of coconut milk in google and get ready to be confused.

It is much better to fry in coconut oil than most commonly used oils because it is highly saturated and stable at higher temperatures than most. Manufacturers are always trying to sell people on this polyunsaturated vegetable oil is best for cooking bs.

Odourless cooking coconut oil is cheap enough here and conveniently it is always liquid here due to room temperatures always being above its melting point of 24C. Perhaps you were looking at the bottles of extra virgin coconut oil which is much more expensive and smells like coconuts. My wife likes to cook with that.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tropo said:

Really? Thanks for that.

So you're not going to read it then?

I would suggest you do. You may learn something about saturated fatty acids and how they are not as bad as people have been projecting. They can actually be very healthy. Specifically fatty acids in milk AND coconut milk.

I did read it, before you ever replied. From top to bottom.  And it doesn't change the fact that the article is a review of studies relating to dairy products, which coconut milk is not.  There's absolutely nothing in that article that suggests any of its findings would relate to anything other than dairy products. And even in that category, there's a lot of caveats and limitations on their conclusions.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I did read it, before you ever replied. From top to bottom.  And it doesn't change the fact that the article is a review of studies relating to dairy products, which coconut milk is not.  There's absolutely nothing in that article that suggests any of its findings would relate to anything other than dairy products. And even in that category, there's a lot of caveats and limitations on their conclusions.

The fact that SFA's of milk are proving, in studies, not to be harmful is a revelation considering how frightened people are to consume them. There's a huge low fat industry based on this fear.  

We won't be seeing similar studies specifically relating to coconut milk any time soon as it's a fringe product by comparison, but it's worth considering that the same findings could be likely. A comparison of the molecular structure of SFA's in both foods may yield some clues.

However, I don't drink coconut milk, so I'll leave it there. I thought perhaps some people may find that link very enlightening and didn't intend to get into an argument over this.

Cheers!

It is much better to fry in coconut oil than most commonly used oils because it is highly saturated and stable at higher temperatures than most. Manufacturers are always trying to sell people on this polyunsaturated vegetable oil is best for cooking bs.

Odourless cooking coconut oil is cheap enough here and conveniently it is always liquid here due to room temperatures always being above its melting point of 24C. Perhaps you were looking at the bottles of extra virgin coconut oil which is much more expensive and smells like coconuts. My wife likes to cook with that.
What brand of coconut oil do you use?

I can't remember exactly how much it was but I remember it being very expensive.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, tropo said:

However, I don't drink coconut milk, so I'll leave it there. I thought perhaps some people may find that link very enlightening and didn't intend to get into an argument over this.

I thought the article you posted evaluating past studies on dairy fat was interesting too...as it relates to dairy products consumption. But IMHO, probably not directly relevant to any scientific/medical issues relating to coconut milk, which was the subject at hand. Since coconut milk isn't a dairy product. So any linking of the two would be pure speculation.

15 minutes ago, juice777 said:

What brand of coconut oil do you use?

I can't remember exactly how much it was but I remember it being very expensive.

The one I have now has a light yellow label: "Coconut Cooking Oil" and the rest in Thai. I can't remember what I paid, but I think it was around 200 baht for 1 liter. That lasts a long time for me as I don't use much in the pan. I've seen a few different brands. This has no coconut scent. In most stores, it will be solid as they keep aircon below 24C.

I thought the article you posted evaluating past studies on dairy fat was interesting too...as it relates to dairy products consumption. But IMHO, probably not directly relevant to any scientific/medical issues relating to coconut milk, which was the subject at hand. Since coconut milk isn't a dairy product. So any linking of the two would be pure speculation.
I have read similar things on coconut milk on different websites.But then on other websites it says there hasn't been enough research.

I don't really unstand it all i don't know how something can have a high saturated fat content but zero cholesterol I thought the 2 was connected.

On 08/04/2018 at 4:00 PM, robblok said:
On 08/04/2018 at 3:33 PM, lucjoker said:

the Flemish word for pancakes is " koeken-bakken " ( cakes-baking), 

There are small differences between languages, but this can not be understood by a person who can only speak one language, that's why you have those ignorant reactions in these 

forums. So let's forgive them their ignorance.

Your Flemish is again different from our Dutch, and I believe the guy was only joking. But I really never knew that baking meant only in an oven. Anyway always happy to learn.

Where I come from in Belgium they are called pannekoeken ( pancakes ), guess there must be 2 Flemish languages then.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's not pure speculation at all. It's a valid theory to research and I'd put money down the same results will be valid for many different food sourced SFA's, including coconut milk. I've also seen research on how beef fat doesn't raise LDL cholesterol. It is not a dairy only phenomenon. There have also been studies showing that dietary cholesterol has little impact on blood cholesterol. The evidence is mounting.

It wouldn't be difficult to test if someone wanted to check how it affects their own cholesterol levels. I've already done personal tests on eggs as I consume a lot of them. (another food people are frightened to eat - which also goes into the pancake mix). I've eaten north of 6 eggs a day and had wonderful blood lipid panels upon testing.

19 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I have read similar things on coconut milk on different websites.But then on other websites it says there hasn't been enough research.

There were a lot of caveats and calls for needing more research on details that haven't been studied enough in the article Tropo posted.

But in the broader scheme of things, this current discussion is a good example of the kinds of vagaries that exist in scientific study. Margarine vs butter, oats and cholesterol, hi carb low carb no carb, saccharine and aspartame, and on and on.

Maybe it's best to get back to oat pancakes. :smile:

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There were a lot of caveats and calls for needing more research on details that haven't been studied enough in the article Tropo posted.

But in the broader scheme of things, this current discussion is a good example of the kinds of vagaries that exist in scientific study. Margarine vs butter, oats and cholesterol, hi carb low carb no carb, saccharine and aspartame, and on and on.

Unfortunately, people don't have the luxury to wait around for the studies to catch up with reality. I do a lot of blood testing to find out for myself as I'm too old to find out in 20 years time that full cream milk is healthier than low-fat milk. As it happens, I drink full cream milk, eat lots of eggs and even consume virgin coconut oil by the tablespoon... and that was before I read that article I posted here LOL.

It's not pure speculation at all. It's a valid theory to research and I'd put money down the same results will be valid for many different food sourced SFA's, including coconut milk. I've also seen research on how beef fat doesn't raise LDL cholesterol. It is not a dairy only phenomenon. There have also been studies showing that dietary cholesterol has little impact on blood cholesterol. The evidence is mounting.

It wouldn't be difficult to test if someone wanted to check how it affects their own cholesterol levels. I've already done personal tests on eggs as I consume a lot of them. (another food people are frightened to eat - which also goes into the pancake mix). I've eaten north of 6 eggs a day and had wonderful blood lipid panels upon testing.
I have 3 hard boiled eggs a day with just a tiny bit of salt and a splash of frank sauce.I also heard there is nothing wrong with them My mum use to say you can only eat 3 a week what nonsense.

15 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I have 3 hard boiled eggs a day with just a tiny bit of salt and a splash of frank sauce.I also heard there is nothing wrong with them My mum use to say you can only eat 3 a week what nonsense.

LOL> last time I visited my mother she nearly had heart failure when I asked for 4 eggs. Little did she know I would have preferred 6 but I didn't want to shock her too much. I only had 4 today.

8 hours ago, tropo said:

It seems the evidence for bad cholesterol readings and possible heart disease is now learning toward the added sugar products that are low in fat!  We might have accused the wrong man again!  :)  I also think almost all of this research seems to collapse when people are at low body fat weights.  Your own fat has more to do with your health than the fat you are eating.

It seems the evidence for bad cholesterol readings and possible heart disease is now learning toward the added sugar products that are low in fat!  We might have accused the wrong man again!  :)  I also think almost all of this research seems to collapse when people are at low body fat weights.  Your own fat has more to do with your health than the fat you are eating.

This is very interesting

7 hours ago, juice777 said:

Cholesterol level went up from 202 mg/dl in June to 251 mg/dl in Feb with eating healthier but consuming more egg's, no eggs since Feb and another check on Thursday !!

Cholesterol level went up from 202 mg/dl in June to 251 mg/dl in Feb with eating healthier but consuming more egg's, no eggs since Feb and another check on Thursday !!

Please post the results and any other changes in your diet.

10 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Where I come from in Belgium they are called pannekoeken ( pancakes ), guess there must be 2 Flemish languages then.

there are more than 2 " dialects" in Belgium,every town has it 's dialect,so more than 300 in Belgium.But officialy you have "pannekoeken", "koeke(n)bakke(n)","flensje" and "streuf", one language ,many dialects.......many"muggenzifters".

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

But wait . . .

Homemade Coconut Milk Kefir

I haven't tried making it myself, but many people that have failed as the kefir grains soon become unproductive in coconut milk. I think it will work if you cycle from cow's milk to coconut milk and back again often. Perhaps go for one batch of coconut kefir per week, using milk the rest of the week.

10 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Before you start worrying too much about these cholesterol levels, read this:

https://medium.com/the-mission/higher-cholesterol-is-associated-with-longer-life-b4090f28d96e

and this:

http://www.ravnskov.nu/2015/12/27/myth-9/

The medical and pharmaceutical industries have got world hyped up and ready to spend money on dangerous drugs to lower cholesterol and shorten their lifespans. They did a good job too. Everyone is convinced that if your levels go over 200 mg/dl, you're in imminent danger of having a heart attack or stroke.

Irrespective of whether you believe this or not, there's also plenty of research to show that dietary cholesterol has a minimal effect on blood cholesterol levels. 

23 hours ago, tropo said:

I haven't tried making it myself, but many people that have failed as the kefir grains soon become unproductive in coconut milk. I think it will work if you cycle from cow's milk to coconut milk and back again often. Perhaps go for one batch of coconut kefir per week, using milk the rest of the week.

We use 80% coconut milk and 20% cow's milk and the kefir seems happy. In between batches it is stored in the fridge with a bit of cow's milk.

I don't make oat pancakes as much as I used to, but oats are still a big part of my diet.

Most mornings it's steel cut oats cooked in liquid banana.  Tastes good on it's own, but I usually jazz it up in the blender with some ground black pepper and turmeric, unsweetened cacao powder, cinnamon and vanilla.

Last snack of the day is usually raw oats with added chia seeds, cacao powder, cinnamon and a few raisins.  Let it steep in soy drink for about fifteen minutes, add some ground flax seed and fruit on top and it's ready to eat.  Delicious.

The one I have now has a light yellow label: "Coconut Cooking Oil" and the rest in Thai. I can't remember what I paid, but I think it was around 200 baht for 1 liter. That lasts a long time for me as I don't use much in the pan. I've seen a few different brands. This has no coconut scent. In most stores, it will be solid as they keep aircon below 24C.
Is this the one you buy?

https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/products/6072987022

8 hours ago, juice777 said:

Is this the one you buy?

https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/products/6072987022

That's close enough. They're all the same. I don't go for any particular brand, but whatever is the cheapest at the time. That is about the price of most of them (1L), some a bit less, some a bit more. That's certainly not too expensive. You don't need much for frying or cooking.

That's close enough. They're all the same. I don't go for any particular brand, but whatever is the cheapest at the time. That is about the price of most of them (1L), some a bit less, some a bit more. That's certainly not too expensive. You don't need much for frying or cooking.
I was always worred that the cheap ones are not pure but i will give that 1 a go thanks.

2 hours ago, juice777 said:

I was always worred that the cheap ones are not pure but i will give that 1 a go thanks.

I don't worry about that. This is Thailand, the home of coconuts. I wouldn't expect basic coconut oil to be expensive. All the coconut cooking oil is around the same price in the same type of bottles so there really isn't a "cheap one". The virgin oil is very expensive, but you don't really want to cook with that anyway because it has a very strong coconut flavour. My wife cooks some things with that because she likes the coconut flavour. 

Archived