Oat pancakes (for the non carb fearing members)

robblok

On 12/04/2018 at 5:04 PM, Taggart said:

I don't make oat pancakes as much as I used to, but oats are still a big part of my diet.

Most mornings it's steel cut oats cooked in liquid banana.  Tastes good on it's own, but I usually jazz it up in the blender with some ground black pepper and turmeric, unsweetened cacao powder, cinnamon and vanilla.

Last snack of the day is usually raw oats with added chia seeds, cacao powder, cinnamon and a few raisins.  Let it steep in soy drink for about fifteen minutes, add some ground flax seed and fruit on top and it's ready to eat.  Delicious.

Where do you buy the ground flax seeds?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I ant seen ground seeds here but I chuck whole ones in a blender and chop them up.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Which is the best way to do it. Ground flaxseeds would deteriorate quickly as the Omega 3 fatty acids are very sensitive to heat and light. It's best to keep the whole seeds in the refrigerator until needed.

1 hour ago, juice777 said:

I ant seen ground seeds here but I chuck whole ones in a blender and chop them up.

I'm much the same, except I use a coffee grinder.  Enough for at least a few days.  Ground flax seeds keep fresh in the fridge.

3 hours ago, juice777 said:

Where do you buy them? I have looked in Tops and Big C, but no joy.

Where do you buy them? I have looked at Tops and Big C, but no joy.

I bought mine in foodland but I've seen them in food mart(Jomtien) as well.

I've noticed that food land is the best shop for dried seeds and grains and beans and all things like that.

On 4/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, Bonio said:

I still have a dozen in my freezer in Bkk. Went back to the UK at Xmas and my wife bought 4 dozen back with her. She loves them and they freeze reasonably well. 

I am from Stoke and I use High Lane Oatcake shop. Always buy a load whenever I am back in the UK. The wife eats them with nothing on or with some syrup. 

They are very healthy...a much better alternative to bread. However, I eat them with bacon,eggs,sausages,cheese etc so they tend to lose their health benefits with me.

But are they pure oats? Surely they have wheat in them too. All the oat products I checked last year in the UK were mainly wheat.  I make my own oat porridge with Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit.

It's been many years since I last ate any Scottish oatcakes, so I'm no expert.  I just did a search for oatcake brands and the first one that came up was Nairn's.  I looked at three of their different oatcakes choices and all of them said specifically they were wheat free and made with whole grain oats.

7 minutes ago, Taggart said:

It's been many years since I last ate any Scottish oatcakes, so I'm no expert.  I just did a search for oatcake brands and the first one that came up was Nairn's.  I looked at three of their different oatcakes choices and all of them said specifically they were wheat free and made with whole grain oats.

Thanks..

1 hour ago, The manic said:

But are they pure oats? Surely they have wheat in them too. All the oat products I checked last year in the UK were mainly wheat.  I make my own oat porridge with Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit.

No it wrong with bacon, eggs cheese and real sausages...all good.

On 08/04/2018 at 11:57 AM, Bonio said:

I still have a dozen in my freezer in Bkk. Went back to the UK at Xmas and my wife bought 4 dozen back with her. She loves them and they freeze reasonably well. 

I am from Stoke and I use High Lane Oatcake shop. Always buy a load whenever I am back in the UK. The wife eats them with nothing on or with some syrup. 

They are very healthy...a much better alternative to bread. However, I eat them with bacon,eggs,sausages,cheese etc so they tend to lose their health benefits with me.

High Lane are the best Staffordshire oatcakes in the City (therefore, in the world), but it is sacrilege to eat them with syrup. Your missus should buy some pikelets if she has a sweet tooth.:smile: Bacon grease is the preferred oatcake topping for dieters.

I make my own using a Staffordshire oatcake recipe which is similar to High Lane. All the ingredients are easily available here (oatmeal, wholewheat flour, water, milk, yeast, salt, sugar). They turn out OK but, using a frying pan, it takes a lot of time and sweat to make a dozen or two, so I only make them once or twice a year.

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Staffordshire oatcakes are approximately 50/50 oatmeal/wholewheat flour. They are a savoury pancake made with milk and yeast.

I have read that the Staffordshire oatcake was an attempt, by returning British soldiers, to reproduce the Chapati.

On 4/10/2018 at 10:23 AM, alfieconn said:

Cholesterol level went up from 202 mg/dl in June to 251 mg/dl in Feb with eating healthier but consuming more egg's, no eggs since Feb and another check on Thursday !!

Just to clarify, prior to the test at the beginning of Feb was probably eating minimum of 2 eggs every day for approx 3 month's, anyway latest result's  showed  215 mg/dl, would have liked to have done the test over a longer period but going back to the UK on Thursday so no chance of eating as healthy as i do in Thailand.

Just to clarify, prior to the test at the beginning of Feb was probably eating minimum of 2 eggs every day for approx 3 month's, anyway latest result's  showed  215 mg/dl, would have liked to have done the test over a longer period but going back to the UK on Thursday so no chance of eating as healthy as i do in Thailand.

I find it a lot healthy to eat in the UK as long as you have will power and do all your own cooking.

3 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Eating eggs should either have no effect on Cholesterol levels or lower them.

7 minutes ago, The manic said:

Eating eggs should either have no effect on Cholesterol levels or lower them.

When I was doing the (mad) Vince Gironda bodybuilding diet I was drinking 30 a day. I routinely ate six a day for years. My cholesterol was 3.94, and - given the amount of aerobic exercise I was doing - it would have been mainly HDL. 

A few people have a funny reaction to consumed cholesterol, but really it's the twice a day dump of biliary cholesterol that whacks the numbers up, and that's a function of total fat consumption and underlying illness. 

I don't worry about that. This is Thailand, the home of coconuts. I wouldn't expect basic coconut oil to be expensive. All the coconut cooking oil is around the same price in the same type of bottles so there really isn't a "cheap one". The virgin oil is very expensive, but you don't really want to cook with that anyway because it has a very strong coconut flavour.

I find everything to do with coconuts to be extremely expensive in Thailand, like many other things. Oil, water, milk, cream, the things themselves. All very overpriced for something that really does grow on trees (well, on palms).

The 200B price mentioned for "cheap" coconut oil is more expensive than any other locally bottled cooking oil that I know of, including rice bran oil, canola, sunflower, corn etc. Only imported olive oil is more expensive, as one might expect given its origin. And in fact you can get olive oil here for under 250B that is perfectly suitable for cooking, in as much as any olive oil is suitable for cooking. I use it all the time in my bread.

1 hour ago, Craig krup said:

When I was doing the (mad) Vince Gironda bodybuilding diet I was drinking 30 a day. I routinely ate six a day for years. My cholesterol was 3.94, and - given the amount of aerobic exercise I was doing - it would have been mainly HDL. 

A few people have a funny reaction to consumed cholesterol, but really it's the twice a day dump of biliary cholesterol that whacks the numbers up, and that's a function of total fat consumption and underlying illness. 

Anything under 4 is OK. Dietary cholesterol should not raise cholesterol levels because cholesterol is a reaction to inflammation.  In most people dietary cholesterol, especially eggs should lead to a reduction in Bodily cholesterol because the body needs to produce less. Cholesterol is essential to the health of every organ in the body. Just as Chlorophyll is essential to plants. However 30 or even six eggs a day is not balanced. I aim for one or two eggs a day. Dr Mercola is worth a read on Health matters,exercise and diets. 

One of the things they don't tell you is that the correlation between cholesterol and total mortality isn't great, in part because people with very low cholesterol seem to be more likely to suffer violent deaths. Getting psychologically ready to banjo an animal because you and your family are starving might be the sort of thing evolution would select for. So aggressive and daring behaviour might - at the margin - result from low cholesterol levels. So you start a fight, overtake on a corner or kill yourself all for the want of 5.6! Should have had the bacon butty. 

From someone who is actually prone to high cholesterol and high blood pressure, I go in the opposite direction.  As low as possible for both.  My MD took it down from two prescription pills a couple of years ago for each condition to one for each, so still an ongoing process.  Had my usual porridge oats this morning.

I looked harder for coconut oil in Makro, and I found it. 110B for a litre bottle which is a few Baht cheaper than the better rice bran oils, but still more expensive than most other oils. I missed it previously because they only allocate a few cms of shelf to it, unlike other oils like palm which get several yards allocated to them. I've been using it and it seems to be OK, with no strong flavour.
They also had more expensive types, but again just a few bottles of each. It obviously is not a massive seller.

Archived