Actress killed in car crash in Ayutthaya

rooster59

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any airbags having been inflated. I wonder if she was wearing a seat belt?

Yeah yeah - you can still die with them but there is a chance you may not (if they were in use) also.

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

A car accident with no witness can be the result of many problems,

not least, driving while tired, under the influence of some substances,

busy with electronic device, not paying attention to proper driving

manners and so on, pity that the life's end of such a young lady 

could be the result of any of the above....

And how is that any different from a car accident WITH a witness?

11 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Excess speed, polished road surface, tyres inflated like rocks, lack of training and experience. Any combination of these makes a collision a likelihood. And trees don’t give, one of the worst things to hit. 

Nah... bridges are easy. It's Chuck Norris that ya gotta watch out for.

Saw the television report this morning with video footage of the crash site. She was extremely unlucky, as the BMW has hit the only tree within sight.

Had she missed the tree, the car would've ended up relatively harmlessly in a flat rice paddy.

The car has nearly folded in half from the impact, so yes, I agree this was not a slow speed impact.

14 hours ago, catman20 said:

more like, most Thai driver are just bad.

Easy to say it's the Thai drivers, but I've been here long enough and paid enough attention to see hundreds, perhaps thousands, of foreigners who have gone native and picked up the same driving habits we love to bash the locals for.  I don't think the drivers are inherently bad, but they do their driving in a system that's rotten to the core.

Personally, I'm favorably impressed by the defensive driving skills I've witnessed in Thailand.   Obviously, it would be better if the cops actually enforced the traffic laws and drivers and riders didn't have to get real good at dodging other drivers.  But I have a lot of respect for their ability to react to other vehicles violating their right of way.  Back home, we'd call them close calls and talk about them for weeks.  Here, they're just part of a day's driving.

22 hours ago, Hupaponics said:

It’s just so sad that pic’s and clips are shown to the public. 

Maybe it’s just me:(

Unfortunately, as in this case, a confronting picture speaks a thousand words.

So many people will not or do not want to take any notice of what is written or told, thus the picture becomes the viable alternative 'horror' message. :coffee1:

10 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't think the drivers are inherently bad

Well they are because they are a part of a system that is rotten to the core (as you state) due to lack of education/training and enforcement in the licencing system. Just for starters.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Easy to say it's the Thai drivers, but I've been here long enough and paid enough attention to see hundreds, perhaps thousands, of foreigners who have gone native and picked up the same driving habits we love to bash the locals for.  I don't think the drivers are inherently bad, but they do their driving in a system that's rotten to the core.

Personally, I'm favorably impressed by the defensive driving skills I've witnessed in Thailand.   Obviously, it would be better if the cops actually enforced the traffic laws and drivers and riders didn't have to get real good at dodging other drivers.  But I have a lot of respect for their ability to react to other vehicles violating their right of way.  Back home, we'd call them close calls and talk about them for weeks.  Here, they're just part of a day's driving.

I never cease to be amazed at how many near misses I witness every day: the pedestrian crossing the road just in time to avoid the approaching car: the motorbike driving against the traffic, its handlebars barely having enough room to avoid scraping the sides of oncoming traffic, and of course, the overtaking into oncoming traffic.

Most Thais drivers seemed to have fine tuned their driving instincts into knowing just how much they can get away with to avoid an accident.

The Thai news had the grieving mother calling for a lawsuit against BMW because the airbags did not prevent her daughter from dying. Pictures of the car at the crash scene show the metal of the car literally wrapped around the tree that it struck. High speed was involved based on the pictures. RIP young woman.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

The Thai news had the grieving mother calling for a lawsuit against BMW because the airbags did not prevent her daughter from dying. Pictures of the car at the crash scene show the metal of the car literally wrapped around the tree that it struck. High speed was involved based on the pictures. RIP young woman.

That is typical of LOS, blame someone else....

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:
12 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't think the drivers are inherently bad

Well they are because they are a part of a system that is rotten to the core (as you state) due to lack of education/training and enforcement in the licencing system. Just for starters.

I don't disagree, but part of my point was that a lot of expats seem to adapt very nicely (?) into that dysfunctional system, so I chalk it up to lack of enforcement and not so much to education, training, or some inherent flaw in the locals' mindset. 

We're all vulnerable to the human tendency to behave in a manner that maximizes personal benefit.  Back home, that means avoiding tickets, fines and points on our DL's.  It's no coincidence that the habits for avoiding tickets back home are the same habits that reduce accidents. 

In Thailand, with minimal enforcement, those aren't the primary drivers.  And habits that serve quite well in one environment don't necessarily make sense in a different environment. 

Apparently her car was airborne in a driver-side to tree position when it hit the tree and missed the guardrail entirely. The guardrail did not cover the entire roadside in that stretch (seemingly only the higher portion) by this video.  I was wondering, from the earlier videos, how her car managed to jump the guardrail. This answers that question.She might have suddenly hit the brakes hard and unintentionally spun the car - did that once myself on a wet road with a similar result.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I don't disagree, but part of my point was that a lot of expats seem to adapt very nicely (?) into that dysfunctional system, so I chalk it up to lack of enforcement and not so much to education, training, or some inherent flaw in the locals' mindset. 

We're all vulnerable to the human tendency to behave in a manner that maximizes personal benefit.  Back home, that means avoiding tickets, fines and points on our DL's.  It's no coincidence that the habits for avoiding tickets back home are the same habits that reduce accidents. 

In Thailand, with minimal enforcement, those aren't the primary drivers.  And habits that serve quite well in one environment don't necessarily make sense in a different environment. 

The expats should know better and try and maintain the standards they have been taught. Laziness I guess.

But it is too many of the local Thai drivers causing the road trauma, sadly.

On 07/04/2018 at 6:05 PM, Xaos said:

How fast u have to go to wreck BMW like that? They solid cars

She hit a big tree at full impact - debarked the tree where impact occurred. No amount of airbags gonna save you in this situation. The family must have money, but cannot educate their kid about road and driving safety (though they probably have no idea themselves). A sad end to a young life. 

40 minutes ago, gaff said:

If Thai could build their own cars, there would be no more accidents in Thailand ! Foreigners only make bad cars that create accidents !

They should stick to riding buffalos....they have a mind of their own, seemingly like the cars here lol

On 07/04/2018 at 12:49 PM, NCC1701A said:

Police suspect the car was speeding.

maybe the car was depressed and committed suicide.

RIP young Thai woman.

Exacery!  Just what i was thinking.  Hope the poor girl did not do herself in.  Some of these child stars do not respond well to adulthood and not being so cute and in-demand any more. Lots of Hollywood examples. McCauley Culkin being one judging by some photos taken of him in recent times.  Sad in any event or reason.

Archived