BANGKOK
Bubbha

Receiving SMS from USA in Thailand

If I was here more than a few months of the year I would agree with you.

But I have the service primarily for the US, and TM sucks in South Dakota, so AT&T in its alta ego of Cricket works for me.

It's one of those balancing the pro's and con's of what works

8 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

If I was here more than a few months of the year I would agree with you.

Yes, I was assessing it from the perspective of someone who's living/staying pretty much full-time in Thailand, not the reverse! :smile:

The TM $3 a month prepaid service isn't especially good for someone who's mostly in the U.S., because the per minute calling rates are comparatively high and the service has very limited and expensive options for adding data capability. The $3 a month plan is really only calls and SMS capability, no built-in data allotment. Plus, no wifi calling even on TM purchased phones, no unlimited streaming, and locked out of various other features that apply to regular monthly TM plans. But U.S.-Thai SMS use, it works well.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So for the BoA guys, just so you know, the easy way around this is their Safepass. It'll cost you an upfront $20 but it's bulletproof

safepass.jpg

11 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So for the BoA guys, just so you know, the easy way around this is their Safepass. It'll cost you an upfront $20 but it's bulletproof

safepass.jpg

I have a SafePass card but I can't agree that it's bulletproof for several reasons:

If one loses it, based on my experience with BofA customer support, I expect it would be more than a minor aggravation to get the card replaced if one was outside the U.S.

U.S banks are becoming difficult to deal with from the perspective of increasingly only wanting to send things such as a SafePass card to one's on-file physical residence. I suppose if one jumped through enough hoops with BofA CS, one might be able to get the card sent wherever one happens to be, but I wouldn't want to rely solely on that.

When my first SafePass card finally died, BofA replaced it with one from a highly publicized batch of defective cards in which some of the LCD crystals were defective and it was almost impossible to correctly read the code. To their credit, when I called and brought it to their attention, BofA promptly mailed a new card and didn't try to charge me for it.

One other thing that I found was that when my first card died, which I expect was due to the battery wearing out, there was no warning, such as the LCD crystals gradually dimming. My card was fine when I put it away and when I got it out to use it awhile later, the display was blank and no amount of pressing on the button would make it work.

And, to BofA's credit, when my last card expired, they sent me a new card and I did not have to pay for it; based on my experience, it seems that the $20 fee for the card only applies to the first card.

A quick follow-up to this thread, which I started several months ago. While in the US during April/May, I purchased and set up a prepaid SIM card from T-Mobile. This has worked without fault in Thailand over the past several months for US banking SMS two factor authentication requirements. This is a great deal for just US$3 per month. I have also been using Google Voice for voice and text, which also works quite well.

my safepass card just died with very faint numbers on the screen that never change after a almost 3 years so I need to get a new one and a US number because they keep asking me to update it. My question is can you activate the $10 t-mobile sim in thailand? 

Mintsim which uses the t-mobile network said they could but haven't found any confirmation for t-mobile yet

15 hours ago, jbob said:

My question is can you activate the $10 t-mobile sim in thailand?

While I've never tried this, I'd say probably not.

I've had T-Mo prepaid for ~ 15 years, and use it successfully for SMS verifications, although I do have a BofA SafePass which is easier to use. I really only needed this for the ACH/BBL/NYC transfer option which is going away in April - I now use a standing order at Fidelity which is FREE. Other financial institutions work fine with Google Voice but not BofA.

T-Mo now also seems to require an SMS to get into my Tmobile, the web account management tool. (A VPN does not address this challenge for me, nor can I answer security questions which I never set up.) I use the 800 number to check on my account balance and expiry.

With international roaming enabled I can receive T-Mo SMSes here, think I'm roaming on AIS. In years past getting registered on a local network took ~ 5 minutes, now it's nearly instantaneous. SMSes arrive in a few seconds.

I purchased and activated another T-Mo SIM for a friend during my trip back at Christmas. It needed to be activated BEFORE you can enable international roaming.

If you buy a SIM on eBay or Amazon make sure it comes with an Activation Code, and is not just a replacement SIM.

Can you ask someone in the U.S. to activate it for you? Buy it, mail it to them, maybe along with a $50 refill card, have them activate it, add the value and subscribe to the $3/month plan. Then mail the SIM to you here.

If not, you could try registering it and activating it from here.

You'll need to register the number with your bank, which may present its own challenges.