Correct tones when transcribing "Saga"

martin.agren

I can't think of any examples off hand of Thai words that can give the 'ah' sound within a single syllable, as suggested :ซอ -> sa

with a final consonant added, yes.. I can think of a few like บอล, สอน, บอก.. but one thing these have in common is that there is a 'w' sound kind of attached to these , e.g. 'sawn' 'bawl' 'bawk'

single syllable with 'อ' following a consonant.. I can think of many examples the sound is "or" such as หมอ, ห่อ, หม้อ, หล่อ, etc.

Anyways.. if there is some single consonant words where อ can be 'ah' I would like to know, very curious.

Or perhaps the swedish 'a' is like 'aor'  ?

Almost imossible to know if one doesn't know the name or hear it said. I assume that you know that the vowel อ is closer to 'or' without the 'r' so if that is how 'a' is said in Swedish ซอ is the first syllable. ก๊ะ is 'ga' with a vowel half the length of the อ of the first syllable, ๊  makes it high tone.  

ซอก๊ะ 

I've used Google Translate to find out how Saga is pronounced in Swedish.  It's not as I'd expected, and rather different from the English pronunciation of "saga".  ซอก๊ะ /sɔɔˑkáʔ/ is probably as close as you can get.

Thanks a lot people. That's right, in Swedish A can represent both ɔ and a. I've studied Thai before, but long time ago, so I've forgotten the rules of tone when writing, ซอก๊ะ seems correct, but what happens if the   ๊ is omitted?

Archived