In just two years there are 60 unexplained deaths of British nationals in Thailand: report

webfact

In just two years there are 60 unexplained deaths of British nationals in Thailand: report

koh-tao.jpg

Koh Tao//File photo

There are 60 unexplained deaths of British nationals in Thailand in just two years, a new report claims.

The Daily Mail citing figures from the Foreign Office says that between 2014 and 2016, 1,151 British nationals died in Thailand.

While the cause of most of those deaths has been established, 60 are currently classed as “unknown”.

The news site claims that the number of unexplained deaths “indicate a pattern of criminal behaviour, botched detective work — and, worst of all, police cover-ups”, in a bid to preserve Thailand’s tourism image.

In a lengthy article, the Daily Mail reports on some of the highest profile cases of unsolved murders and unexplained deaths involving British nationals in Thailand.

The report includes details on the murder of Kirsty Jones, the British backpacker who was found murdered in a hostel in Chiang Mai in 2000 and whose killer remains at large.

It also features the death of 23 year old Christina Annesley who was found dead in a bungalow on Koh Tao.

Christina’s parents reveal how the believe their daughter’s death is suspicious, despite being told otherwise by the Thai authorities.

The Daily Mail says the investigation into Christina’s death was “botched” after her body was left in the heat of a temple, making toxicology reports inconclusive.

“The police told us she had died in her hotel room and there was no sign of foul play. I believed them at the time. But nothing makes sense any more, said Christina’s mother Margaret Annesley.

“It’s only as time has gone on and by meeting other parents that we hear of so many coincidences, and that has made us doubt there was nothing suspicious. There are so many unexplained deaths on Koh Tao. The Thai authorities don’t investigate them properly and we get conflicting information.”

Other suspicious deaths on Koh Tao are also featured in the article, including those of Luke Miller, 26, who in 2016 was found dead at the bottom of a swimming pool and Nick Pearson, 25, whose body was found in the sea after partying on the island.

Pat Harrington, whose son Ben was found dead on Koh Tao, is the founder of a group called Mothers Against Murderers Abroad (MAMA) and is urging the British government to investigate the deaths.

“The Government needs to look into these suspicious deaths and issue proper travel warnings,” she says.

“No family should ever have to go through the pain that we have.”

Ben’s body was found in a ditch after being killed while riding his motorbike on the island. Police said he died as the result of a road traffic accident. However, his wallet and watch were missing, leading his mother to believe his death was suspicious.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-10

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoddy investigations no doubt, it happens all over, the world,

Insurance , is never given a thought and if it is , then so easily dismissed, 

insurance to travel should be the law the world over,  death coverage being part of such insurance, 

unexplained deaths are always happening in Thailands, the right name, family, connections or money and thais can do as they please, a rape here, a death there and the police will look the other way, even allow the guilty party to trash the crime scene and evidence mysteriously disappear

Rather ironic that TV are using an article from the DM as the basis for this 'news' story.

Yet posters linking to any DM article is seen as being against the current block on accessing the DM in Thailand (even though it can be viewed via certain ISPs and also by use of the DM app, not to mention that other three letter method) and not allowed.:whistling:

3 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Rather ironic that TV are using an article from the DM as the basis for this 'news' story.

Yet posters linking to any DM article is seen as being against the current block on accessing the DM in Thailand (even though it can be viewed via certain ISPs and also by use of the DM app, not to mention that other three letter method) and not allowed.:whistling:

I think you will find the DM isn't blocked any more, the link in the OP goes straight through.

54 minutes ago, webfact said:

The news site claims that the number of unexplained deaths “indicate a pattern of criminal behaviour, botched detective work — and, worst of all, police cover-ups”, in a bid to preserve Thailand’s tourism image.

Ya think????  :cheesy:   :clap2:

The one thing that's always hard to tell here, in general, is...

--where laziness and incompetence ends....

--and where deliberate inaction and obfuscation begins.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find the DM isn't blocked any more, the link in the OP goes straight through.

It must be ISP dependent then?

I see the blocked message when I click on the DM link. I'm on AIS Fibre. Surely all ISPs should be consistent?

Anyone who has lived in Thailand for more than a few months understands how the system works here.

There are people above the law, and you can always buy your way out of trouble. There is no real justice system , it a corrupt system from top to bottom.

The accepted wisdom from many on TVF is that it's all the RTP. I would argue the corruption goes much much deeper.

The Thai apologists can, and will slam you for any criticism of Thailand, but in their heart they know it's true, often the fanatic harbors true doubt.

Not being British, I know nothing about the Daily Mail, above what I read on here. But, I suspect that they are actually real journalists unhindered by the restrictions of Thai LM or defamation laws.

I think the Daily Mail is blocked for the main page whilst direct links to their articles are not always blocked.

With regards to suspicious deaths and other posters basically saying suck it up, that would be easier to do if the cause is determined after being fully and efficiently investigated. 

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya think????  :cheesy:   :clap2:

The one thing that's always hard to tell here, in general, is...

--where laziness and incompetence ends....

--and where deliberate inaction and obfuscation begins.

I would'nt say it's hard to tell "where deliberate inaction and obfuscation begins." once the culprits wealth and or connection are established then deliberate inaction and obfuscation, kicks in, with gusto and in earnest, if  no money or connection, then revert back to your first choice!

To give the 60 a bit more perspective:

Death in the UK in 2016:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/deathregistrationssummarytablesenglandandwalesreferencetables

V01-X59

Accidents M 8,319
    F 5,729
R99 Other ill-defined and unspecified M 758
  causes of mortality F

F00-F99 Mental and behavioural disorders M 16,700
    F

6 hours ago, evadgib said:

....why now?

The only actual 'news' compnent in the DM story is the founding of the MAMA organization:

"Many parents have now joined forces with other families whose children have died while backpacking around Thailand. Their group, called Mothers Against Murderers Abroad (MAMA), urges the British Government to investigate these deaths and to publicise the dangers of travelling to Thailand."

It is known that many foreigners in Thailand get involved with situations and people they should never get involved with, a lot have severe mental problems, a lot are into criminal activities and many full foul of gold digging women of ill repute or crooked business partners and business competitors.

Look into those unexplained deaths more closely and you will find they`re not so unexplained as first thought.

Regarding the tragic deaths of Koh Tao, a lot of young tourists visit there to party where situations can become out of hand. Girls go there to get laid, drink and do drugs and the boys do the same. Who knows what these people and who these people get involved with? Even with all it`s bad publicity over the years, the island is still drawing in young tourists by the thousands each year and I strongly guess there will be more so-called unexplained deaths in Koh Tao and in other parts of Thailand in the future. 

5 hours ago, Bullie said:

Why do families always want to have the satisfaction that a death is treated assuspicious, rather than just foolish behaviour, ignorance or just rotten luck  on the part of their loved one?

Because they are stricken with grief and want a sound explanation as to why their loved one(s) dìed so they can find some kind of closure? 

Thailand want to tell the world it is safe but the number telling other wise if Thailand not realize online world is where tourists get their information and start act as a normal holiday destination with no corruption and start take care of the tourism it will slowly but surely die and go back to a fishing country but without any fish in the ocean 

I love Thailand and live here my years but I can't see Thailand get better just more dangerous for every year 

Good luck to anyone there want visit Thailand but be careful 

P. S I will never leave my family and Thailand 

13 hours ago, webfact said:

In a lengthy article, the Daily Mail reports on some of the highest profile cases of unsolved murders and unexplained deaths involving British nationals in Thailand.

veiled criticism of thais, which they, thin-skinned, cannot take

Archived