In just two years there are 60 unexplained deaths of British nationals in Thailand: report

webfact

After many years here and judging by the inept and incompetent investigations carried out by the RTP on numerous incidents one or two I witnessed, then it is not surprising that such a low number are unexplained . After an offence against me, I was never told thay had caught the guys involved neither was I given any compensation nor explanation , so for a suspicious death they will do almost anything to state it is suspicious rather something mundane, suicide, fell over drugs or drink . 

RTP and investigations are not good bedfellows , I once saw a particularly severe incident in 30 mins the number of police walking through the scene and photographers and the like not to speak about the so-called emergency services, any evidence would have been lost . Rubber necking is a Thai pastime everyone and his Aunt wants to look and they do, evidence is lost all the time. yet they manage to find ( place it ) to suit a set of circumstances. Amazing !!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, falangjim said:

Why are not Hannah Witheridge and David Miller's deaths not included? Their murders were never accurately explained, just covered up.

Their cause of death is well understood, what is less clear is who is responsible.

While deaths of any tourists are important to said nation a good detective would be interested in all unexplained deaths. A pattern then might emerge and followed up. However, I doubt their such a Thai detective available...anyone care to join me in a 'Holmes-Watson' duo?:smile::smile: No...oh well the deaths will remain unexplained I guess.

48 minutes ago, falangjim said:

Why are not Hannah Witheridge and David Miller's deaths not included? Their murders were never accurately explained, just covered up.

Because they were murdered. Unexplained is actually called “unknown” by the foreign office, meaning there is no data. Murders, drownings, etc have their own categories. 

It is always a tragedy of a beloved dies in holidays and it's not clear why...but many these Brits are coming here for the party of their life...drugs overdose...alcohol...sex with locals or a mix....plus not a real streetwise focused behaviour can lead to disaster and not just in Thailand...sure there is corruption at all levels but if a death happens let's say in kho phangan what do you expect a village cop to do about it..???...especially when faced with thousands of drug crazed ding dong fallangs invade his island many 12 or 14 y.old...sponsoring local and foreign drug rings who operate in the wide open...

Typical crap from the Daily Mail. The foreign office doesn’t say that the deaths are unexplained they say that the cause of death is unknown. 

DM is trying to play it off as something sinister but it just means no data available. 

Just like there are a number of deaths where the age is listed as unknown. 

Sometimes you gotta laugh. You guys know how corrupt the justice system is here, yet still it's deflection, well "how bad is it in country xyz"

You know, I lived here for a decade, but I'm not deluded enough to not accept the reality of the place.

It is what it is, unlikely to change anytime before I'm dead and buried, but please wake up and smell the roses.

Live here fine and enjoy the place, but please don't delude yourself, that just diminishes your own self worth

16 hours ago, Bullie said:

Ben Harington's death was at 4 oclock in the morning. The lad was drunk, and driving a motocy without licence or experience. 50% of Thai drivers on Koh Tao don't have working headlights, and maybe even the rental motocy didn't , either. A frontal collision on a narrow road at night can happen anytime, especially in Thailand where they tend to cut into the corners.

Driver fled, maybe even after checking for a pulse. Since the wallet and watch were no longer needed by poor mr. Harington, some poor Thai helped himself to it, after the fact.

Why do families always want to have the satisfaction that a death is treated assuspicious, rather than just foolish behaviour, ignorance or just rotten luck  on the part of their loved one?

Some parents should see how their "beloved good kids" behave when boozed up and in 24hours party modus !
Watch them at the islands, Pai, Vang Vieng...
Maybe some would be surprised !?

18 hours ago, bluesofa said:
18 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find the DM isn't blocked any more, the link in the OP goes straight through.

It must be ISP dependent then?

I see the blocked message when I click on the DM link. I'm on AIS Fibre. Surely all ISPs should be consistent?

3BB and link goes straight to the article on DM.

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Unexplained deaths,I think most of them will be suicides,

according to the Police.....case closed.

regards worgeordie

In total agreement.
Its somewhat farcical for us Farangs to even have the audacity to suspect there is anything untoward with Thai Police detective work which is second to none - ie ZERO !!!

22 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmm.... it’s almost like farang deaths don’t count here ....innit?

They do count, but not as much as the money they spent before their demise. Even more important though is the reputation of Thailand as a safe place to visit. 

36 minutes ago, 0815 said:

Some parents should see how their "beloved good kids" behave when boozed up and in 24hours party modus !

Pai is one of the best examples. So many people who’d never ridden a bike rent one and you can see those who only had an accident the next day wearing a cast, or similar.

A guy who died overdosed at the waterfall didn’t even make it into the news. He must have died of a heart attack or drowned himself.

13 minutes ago, seancbk said:

3BB and link goes straight to the article on DM.

On my tot internet connection, I get a 303 etc. message - "this site can't be reached'.  I can view the DM, but not this article.

Are the numerous 'suicides' considered as explained deaths - or do they form part of the unexplained? 

18 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Thailand is also the most dangerous tourist destination for Aussie and Swedes according to their respective consular services, not just for the Brits.

The truth shall set you free. 

Dangerous? You would only know that if you actually knew the percentage of those who die naturally or by suicide compared to those involved in accidents / murders, etc. I would like to see an actual breakdown of those figures relative to the ages of those who died. I doubt this information exists though. I would think many foreigners take more risks than what they would at home - here, they would ride a bike without a licence or helmet; they go swimming in the sea drunk, etc. I think it's often their behaviour that makes it more dangerous, rather than the place itself. I would be more nervous walking around London at night than I would in most parts of Bangkok. 

1 hour ago, 0815 said:

The Full Moon Party that feeds Koh Tao isn't Glastonbury and it's time everyone realised it.

12 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Dangerous? You would only know that if you actually knew the percentage of those who die naturally or by suicide compared to those involved in accidents / murders, etc. I would like to see an actual breakdown of those figures relative to the ages of those who died. I doubt this information exists though. I would think many foreigners take more risks than what they would at home - here, they would ride a bike without a licence or helmet; they go swimming in the sea drunk, etc. I think it's often their behaviour that makes it more dangerous, rather than the place itself. I would be more nervous walking around London at night than I would in most parts of Bangkok. 

An FoI request might prove otherwise.

17 hours ago, Bullie said:

Ben Harington's death was at 4 oclock in the morning. The lad was drunk, and driving a motocy without licence or experience. 50% of Thai drivers on Koh Tao don't have working headlights, and maybe even the rental motocy didn't , either. A frontal collision on a narrow road at night can happen anytime, especially in Thailand where they tend to cut into the corners.

Driver fled, maybe even after checking for a pulse. Since the wallet and watch were no longer needed by poor mr. Harington, some poor Thai helped himself to it, after the fact.

Why do families always want to have the satisfaction that a death is treated assuspicious, rather than just foolish behaviour, ignorance or just rotten luck  on the part of their loved one?

"Why do...(as)suspicious". I pray you are never in the position experienced by those grieving families over the deaths of their "foolish", ignorant or "rotten luck" loved ones.

19 hours ago, seajae said:

unexplained deaths are always happening in Thailands, the right name, family, connections or money and thais can do as they please, a rape here, a death there and the police will look the other way, even allow the guilty party to trash the crime scene and evidence mysteriously disappear

Mate, we all know what happens Thailand  , as in many other countries . We have all decided to live here which I enjoy , I just think what a great life I have here despite all the things that happen here . Hope you are still enjoying the south .

Suicide is the logical Reason for this so called unexplained Deaths. If you see the Age Range of the Victims, this is the conclusive answer. All conspirativity Theorist here, who are fishing in the Mist are that way of ridicolous.

17 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

According to lullabytrust there are over 250 unexplained infant deaths pa in the uk every year.

Anyone care to throw some wild accusations re the british police at this?

As far back as 2006 there were over 500 unexplained deaths in the uk mostly in young adults.

X files stuff or shall we blame the police for this stat or hey better still blame british people

Expatthailover :  The name says it all, throwing a few British stats into the equation does not exonerate the Thai Authorities from there sheer incompetence, corruption, Lies, cover ups to preserve the Tourist myth, that Thailand is a safe destination, Money talks here end of story, take your Head out of your Arse!

Archived