In just two years there are 60 unexplained deaths of British nationals in Thailand: report

webfact

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Many of whom are overseas educated and qualified.

Some of whom may have some overseas training and experience, over 98%+ are educated in Thailand. The proof of that is the CV's page of Bumrungrad doctors (or the CV page of any Thai hospital), nearly all of them went to medical school in Thailand:  https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/heart-cardiology-center-treatment-surgery-bangkok-thailand

21 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

I accept you are not "English' but please if you are going to use abbreviations then at least explain what they mean as there are many like you who do not understand them. When writing in English then there should be at least one reference to their full meaning, basic 101.

Why did use the word "English" as a direct quote? -  The poster used the word "British" -  British people aren't necessarily English 

Also your post is ironic as you haven't given an explanation for the term "101" some people might not be familiar with this :)

Let me tell you that 35 years ago there would have been a lot more.

I remember down the back of Suriwong Rd they used to put all the full colour pictures of dead Farang

up that they could not identify ..... there were hundreds of photos 

10 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The issue is not about being caring but about being fully developed. Of course, the legal system here is not as robust as it is in say the UK; the roads here are less safe than in many countries in the West; the education system here is less robust than in the West....and so on. But Thailand is a developing country, did you not understand that before you came here or were you expecting things here would be the same as or better than in the UK, EU or the US? Of course, many things here are worse than in many western countries, why is that such a surprise? I have no problem with saying that Thailand is those things BUT there needs to be some balance in the argument and labelling everyone who points out there are positives as apologists is just lazy, an excuse for not thinking about things. 

The legal system here can be corrupt and people can buy their way out of things, that doesn't mean the entire system is corrupt and doesn't work well and robustly, it does for most people. Driving here can be very dangerous, the death toll is very high, that doesn't mean that careful people can't get around easily and safely, they can and they do - I've driven 15k/20k per year here for the past 16 years without an accident! The education system leaves much to be desired in some areas, there's room for improvement. That doesn't mean to say the entire system is useless and doesn't work, it does. The system churns out highly qualified doctors, surgeons, pilots, business people in large numbers, every year.

If people like GB want to accuse my position above of being an apologist, my response is they haven't really thought about things or simply don't know, after all, it's easier to bash the entire country than to actually think about matters.

Well said.

18 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The issue is not about being caring but about being fully developed. Of course, the legal system here is not as robust as it is in say the UK; the roads here are less safe than in many countries in the West; the education system here is less robust than in the West....and so on. But Thailand is a developing country, did you not understand that before you came here or were you expecting things here would be the same as or better than in the UK, EU or the US? Of course, many things here are worse than in many western countries, why is that such a surprise? I have no problem with saying that Thailand is those things BUT there needs to be some balance in the argument and labelling everyone who points out there are positives as apologists is just lazy, an excuse for not thinking about things. 

The legal system here can be corrupt and people can buy their way out of things, that doesn't mean the entire system is corrupt and doesn't work well and robustly, it does for most people. Driving here can be very dangerous, the death toll is very high, that doesn't mean that careful people can't get around easily and safely, they can and they do - I've driven 15k/20k per year here for the past 16 years without an accident! The education system leaves much to be desired in some areas, there's room for improvement. That doesn't mean to say the entire system is useless and doesn't work, it does. The system churns out highly qualified doctors, surgeons, pilots, business people in large numbers, every year.

If people like GB want to accuse my position above of being an apologist, my response is they haven't really thought about things or simply don't know, after all, it's easier to bash the entire country than to actually think about matters.

I have been here for quite a few years too, and while I agree with much of what you say about Thailand being a developing nation, one of the main problems that I have encountered, is the unwillingness of the Thai  people to accept that it is a DEVELOPING nation, and are very reluctant to take advice from us "dumb farangs".

It is probably down to the old "loss of face" thing where to take advice from a non Thai means admitting to being less knowledgeable, and therefore less intelligent, so they would rather blunder on regardless, and then make suitable excuses afterwards, blaming all and sundry except themselves. Not wanting to stray off topic, but the Koh Tao murders debacle is a clear example of refusing help from more qualified people, and then ending up in the mother of all messes. Another example is thinking that taking away refuse containers because people aren't paying the collection/disposal fee is going to solve the garbage problem!

And I must disagree with your statement "The legal system here can be corrupt and people can buy their way out of things, that doesn't mean the entire system is corrupt". A system is either corrupt or it isn't corrupt - it's a bit like saying "it's nearly raining"!

3 hours ago, sambum said:

I have been here for quite a few years too, and while I agree with much of what you say about Thailand being a developing nation, one of the main problems that I have encountered, is the unwillingness of the Thai  people to accept that it is a DEVELOPING nation, and are very reluctant to take advice from us "dumb farangs".

It is probably down to the old "loss of face" thing where to take advice from a non Thai means admitting to being less knowledgeable, and therefore less intelligent, so they would rather blunder on regardless, and then make suitable excuses afterwards, blaming all and sundry except themselves. Not wanting to stray off topic, but the Koh Tao murders debacle is a clear example of refusing help from more qualified people, and then ending up in the mother of all messes. Another example is thinking that taking away refuse containers because people aren't paying the collection/disposal fee is going to solve the garbage problem!

And I must disagree with your statement "The legal system here can be corrupt and people can buy their way out of things, that doesn't mean the entire system is corrupt". A system is either corrupt or it isn't corrupt - it's a bit like saying "it's nearly raining"!

What do the Thai people need to take advice about specifically? How to solve a crime properly? I wonder what the ratio is for rich folks serving time vs the same crime commited by poor folks in the west, all other things being equal. I honeslty believe it is just all the same crap. We put on a much better show, and have that lipstick out in full force for every one of our pigs.... but it is all just the same crap. I dont believe anybody is better. In fact, i would argue that there are far worse characters in the west in terms of our bad cops, politicians, gangters etc. Far far worse people... so what do we have to teach? They seem to be doing something right over here if you just look at things from different perspectives. I tell my friends back home i could seriously stumble out of a taxi at 2am dead drunk in the worst neighborhood in bangkok and not a thing would happen. They cant believe that. Try that in the west and it is gonna hurt. 

21 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

What do the Thai people need to take advice about specifically? How to solve a crime properly? I wonder what the ratio is for rich folks serving time vs the same crime commited by poor folks in the west, all other things being equal. I honeslty believe it is just all the same crap. We put on a much better show, and have that lipstick out in full force for every one of our pigs.... but it is all just the same crap. I dont believe anybody is better. In fact, i would argue that there are far worse characters in the west in terms of our bad cops, politicians, gangters etc. Far far worse people... so what do we have to teach? They seem to be doing something right over here if you just look at things from different perspectives. I tell my friends back home i could seriously stumble out of a taxi at 2am dead drunk in the worst neighborhood in bangkok and not a thing would happen. They cant believe that. Try that in the west and it is gonna hurt. 

"What do the Thai people need to take advice about specifically? How to solve a crime properly?"

That would do for starters! And how to fix an incinerator that has been broken for years in spite of money being provided to fix it? How to actually enforce the law instead of letting that law blatantly be broken time and time again  - by Joe Public, and those in authority? Etc etc etc. In the interest of brevity I will say no more.

However, from your perspective, if you are OK with all of the above, then you seem to have found your Nirvana, so well done, I am  happy for you, and it would appear that we have nothing further to talk about.

7 hours ago, sambum said:

I am remiss of course by suggesting the legal system is or isn't, it's no the system that is or isn't it's the people in the system. So perhaps that section is best reworded to say something along the lines of, the legal system contains a number of corrupt officials. The system itself is based on the UK legal system which is quite robust albeit their is a staffing and scheduling issue when a civil case takes many years to get to trial.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:49 PM, bluesofa said:

It must be ISP dependent then?

I see the blocked message when I click on the DM link. I'm on AIS Fibre. Surely all ISPs should be consistent?

There are inconsistencies with the block.

• 3 months later...
On 4/11/2018 at 8:29 AM, utalkin2me said:

You wanna go somewhere thats actually unsafe, try jumping in a taxi in mexico city after midnight. sure youll probably be fine but im just making a point that thailand is a complete kindergarden when it comes to saftey on a world stage. if you dont know that you havent "gotten out much".

When I was working for STOU there were a number of fatalities among acquaintances. Most were traffic-related, which also has to do with the mercurial Thai personality (bus driver running irritating traffic off the road). One western woman lost both legs when a truck ran over her motorbike from behind - the driver was accused of deliberately crunching her.

I knew the owner of a jewelry shop in the Erawan Hotel who was assassinated, allegedly on the orders of someone who owed him a debt of around US $25,000. Naturally I thought "Jeez, just stiff the guy. Don't have him killed" but there was also an issue of face involved.

An ex-pal now aged 90 living in Bangplat owned a house previously occupied by a famed American scholar. His Thai colonel lover was an instructor and apparently ruffled the feathers of one of his students, who sent him a letter bomb.

So it's far from just farang who succumb to the excitable, mercurial, unpredictable nature of the locals. White folks do, however, often have a brash, in-your-face attitude which is taken as an invitation to get oneself shot. A confrontation that will not go beyond slapping, fisticuffs and comic drunken wrestling in the gutter in Manchester or Melbourne will draw hot lead here.

Later someone is really and truly sorry for making you really and truly dead. Or not.

Nothing new about this story.  Old news.

People will keep flooding into Thailand because its very cheap and easily accessible.

Even  'expensive '  Phuket is considered a bucket shop 3rd world  island destination  to Australians.

Its inevitable there will be many deaths  most of which go unexplained inorder to protect the local tourism industry.

Thailand will be top of the list for deaths abroad for most western countries.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:15 PM, wow64 said:

Deal with it. 

You travel to a third world country you could die of a unexplained death or suicide. 

Is life so bad in the 1st world that millions travel to the 3rd world to die of a unexplained death or suicide?

Very sad indeed.

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There's a bit of difference between asking for help to get some kids out of a cave, and asking how to run your country.

And if you believe your country has broadly got it all right, why are you here?

I am here cause of my thai wife - now we both got enough of this dump and leave for Europe in a few months. Mostly its my thai wife that wants to leave the Kingdom of loosers but I've had enough too so enjoy it here until you a part of the statistic of unexplaned deaths ...

On 8/3/2018 at 3:21 PM, ravip said:

Is life so bad in the 1st world that millions travel to the 3rd world to die of a unexplained death or suicide?

Very sad indeed.

It would seem so. 

On 8/3/2018 at 3:21 PM, ravip said:

Very sad indeed.

Well , its not "millions" and people dont generally travel somewhere to die from an unexplained death   

On 8/5/2018 at 5:45 AM, Wallander4 said:

I am here cause of my thai wife - now we both got enough of this dump and leave for Europe in a few months. Mostly its my thai wife that wants to leave the Kingdom of loosers but I've had enough too so enjoy it here until you a part of the statistic of unexplaned deaths ...

Wish you both all the very best for the future.

(At least you managed to find a wife from a dump, to live happily ever after)

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 6:42 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Not being British, I know nothing about the Daily Mail, above what I read on here. But, I suspect that they are actually real journalists unhindered by the restrictions of Thai LM or defamation laws.

The daily mail is the most unreliable news source, most often based on sensationalism and half-truths.

In this case, I think there might be some truth to the story, probably grossly exaggerated though.

Archived