Bangkok told: Have a "Sensible - BOOZE FREE - Songkran"

snoop1130

Bangkok told: Have a "Sensible - BOOZE FREE - Songkran"

ghjkuhk.JPG

A message has gone out loud and clear from the authorities to both Thai and foreign revelers at Songkran

Don't drink and throw water!

Seven Eleven stores and other shops with alcohol in the zones of Silom and Khao San Road set aside for the water wars have been asked to refrain from selling booze of all descriptions at all times.

Other shops in the vicinity but not within the zones have been reminded that they can only sell alcohol from 11 to 2pm and between 5pm and midnight.

Break that rule and they could be doing 6 months jail time and or a 10,000 baht fine. 

The message went out from deputy governor Thaweesak Lertpraphan who was heading a large campaign comprising many agencies in Khao San Road on Tuesday afternoon.

The campaign came with the slogan: "Bangkok Songkran: Safe, Booze Free, No Molesting, No bad driving".

Thaweesak hopes that if everyone remembers these points then a good time will be had by all. 

In addition to the booze ban in shops the authorities said that at the entrances to the water zones at Silom and Khao San forbidden items such as high powered water guns, powder, weapons and things that could be used as weapons and of course, alcohol will all be confiscated. 

Cops from the Chana Songkhram station whose jurisdiction includes Khao San Road were also part of the campaign yesterday. 

You have been warned!

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/bangkok/637479

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-4-10

There are going to be many shocked partyer's when they find out this will be enforced. The Thai's will fall inline quickly like good sheep lets see how the foreigners will react.

This year the PM said he wanted people to wear traditional clothes for songkran. It appears the Thai's will do as told. Sales of traditional clothes has rocketed. 

So I think Thai;s will do as told about this too.

"11 to 2pm and between 5pm and midnight"

keeping that ridiculous ban in even during songkran when the schools are off 555 daft, but good for the mom and pop shops, at least they can have a nice windfall during the holidays. screw seven anyway

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The campaign came with the slogan: "Bangkok Songkran: Safe, Booze Free, No Molesting, No bad driving"

more than ever, glad i do not live nor visit bangkok; more generally, does one size fit all ? no; those of us that are well past 60 need no such 'advice'

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

more than ever, glad i do not live nor visit bangkok; more generally, does one size fit all ? no; those of us that are well past 60 need no such 'advice'

According to the photo, they are targeting those pesky farang tourists again.

'Leave the boozing, groping and drunk driving to the local professionals, thank you ma'am.'

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Seven Eleven stores and other shops with alcohol in the zones of Silom and Khao San Road set aside for the water wars have been asked to refrain from selling booze of all descriptions at all times.

Is this for the 7 day, the 5 day or the 3 day Songkran festival - the article is unclear.

What an utter idiot. If I wanted to drink during Songkran, do you think I will get it from 7-11 on that day? The key, as usual, is enforcement which unfortunately, is something you guys are doing a completely shit job of, Songkran or not. So there you go. Continue chasing your own tail while spoiling the fun for everyone else.

11 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

There are going to be many shocked partyer's when they find out this will be enforced. The Thai's will fall inline quickly like good sheep lets see how the foreigners will react.

This year the PM said he wanted people to wear traditional clothes for songkran. It appears the Thai's will do as told. Sales of traditional clothes has rocketed. 

Yep, I agree! It´s also going to be much more easy for them to see the super-drunk, child-behaving foreigner in trasched shorts and a look-a-like wet t-shirt competitor. :cheesy:

52 minutes ago, outsider said:

What an utter idiot. If I wanted to drink during Songkran, do you think I will get it from 7-11 on that day? The key, as usual, is enforcement which unfortunately, is something you guys are doing a completely shit job of, Songkran or not. So there you go. Continue chasing your own tail while spoiling the fun for everyone else.

I think the rule is directed at the average Thai people as they tend to purchase and immediately consume. No stockpiling.

That long-standing rule of alcohol sales only between 11am - 2pm and 5pm to midnight has really taken Thailand out of the greatly feared alcoholism inundation. Great job! you can see all the sober people in the streets who would otherwise be drunk blind and DUI and what know you not!

13 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

were you speaking tongue in cheek or do REALLY believe that the thai's will fall in line regarding the booze and grabbing? not on this life time! just wait and see. most thai's don' t give a dam what bangkok says!

13 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Sales of traditional clothes started already !

39110.jpg

5 minutes ago, captspectre said:

were you speaking tongue in cheek or do REALLY believe that the thai's will fall in line regarding the booze and grabbing? not on this life time! just wait and see. most thai's don' t give a dam what bangkok says!

Most Thais do listen to Bangkok and act accordingly .

There may be some occurrences , but generally it will be adhere to

2 hours ago, outsider said:

What an utter idiot.

Nope, this is not a bad idea. Not a cure for what ails Songkran but a step in the right direction.

If I wanted to drink during Songkran, do you think I will get it from 7-11 on that day?

I dunno, you might. Lots of people do. I doubt you're bringing your own booze from home on that day.

The key, as usual, is enforcement which unfortunately, is something you guys are doing a completely shit job of, Songkran or not.

No, actually they're doing a pretty good job of enforcing the alcohol-selling hours. Found that out again just yesterday.

So there you go.

Yep.

4 hours ago, Darcula said:

They do believe in miracles.

They should Ban alcohol, casual dress, vaping, sex, smoking, dartboards, connect 4, Tourists, laughing. Then, could start the Thai New Year off with more restrictions. Personally, I think anyone found thoroughly enjoying themselves should be reported and slammed in Bang Kwang prison for such effrontery perpetuated by these callous Farangs. ...............................:post-4641-1156694572:

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Bangkok again! Does this mean the rest of the country can do as it pleases. Or, does life not exist outside Bangkok?

So we will just pack up and go to Pattaya for the celebrations,, Monkey nuts for brains must be on special this week :smile:

16 hours ago, mercman24 said:

Bangkok,, Songkran,, Booze Free,  another clown living in cloud cuckoo land, still great photo op, now toddle off back to your desk until next year

Doing his best in the Fuedal system

Archived