Water hazard - Thailand rolls out 'Seven Deadly Days' road safety campaign

snoop1130

3 hours ago, falangjim said:

Your average Somchai or Lek risks being called "too serious" or thinking too much if they request a bit of common sense regarding Songkran safety. The ambulance driver says it all: Thais know the laws but break them anyway. Sad. How many Songkan celebrations are also memorials for families who have relatives killed in action during these Seven Deadly Days? 

I agree with the comments from the BKK life saver, even though IMO it is one sided.

If the ratio of Thais and foreigners were the same during Songkran and we looked at who broke the law, and how badly the law was broken, my money would be on the foreigners every time.

Not defending, just being honest as a first person witness to the last 20 Songkrans.....................:thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

More dangerous  for the poor police now that they are not allowed to wear sunglasses.   

I haven't seen one policeman "NOT" wearing sunglasses. So, much for following the rules.

Hey Folks, 

Need some safety-related advice. 

I am ~ 100 k away from one of the borders, with NINE days left on my visa, and I am on my mountain bike (with computer, important documents, etc,) in my bags. I MUST exit the country within NINE days, but am growing VERY concerned about my safety (including my vital belongings getting wet) during Songkran,

I am thinking of either :

1. staying in the small town where I am until the chaos subsides

2. riding the bike LATE, LATE night (like 2-3 am) with the HOPE that there MIGHT be less chance of getting EITHER run down AND/OR soaked.

This is an HONEST question, because I have not been mobile during Songkran in Thailand in the past.

If anyone can offer NON-SARCASTIC, and COMMON-SENSICAL advice on how to proceed it is MUCH appreciated. The room I am in right now has no ventilation, and I think it is MANDATORY for me to get out of here, but am also LOW on $$$.

Thanks in advance.

FF

Thais will always do whatever they want to do, regardless of what anyone says. They lack any self-discipline, and when you combine that with a total lack of common sense there is the high possibility of very serious consequences. So the authorities can talk all they want, but unless there is a massive culture change nothing else will change.

Until the Government i.e. the PM, faces reality and takes ownership of the road trauma problem, instead of only ever paying lip service (that always seems to fail), then Government will continue to rank alongside Forrest Gump as "Stupid is as stupid does". :post-4641-1156693976:

Sadly, too many citizens, tourists and foreign workers alike will continue to die.

On 2018-04-11 at 6:03 PM, darksidedog said:

Much as I would like the campaign to be a success, I am far too much of a realist to believe for one second that it will be.

Thais and farangs alike seem to totally part company with their brains when water throwing starts.

It reminds me of a bunch of pre-school children having fun on a hot summers day.  For supposedly mature people to act irresponsibly in the same fashion and endanger lives is regrettable!  Commercialization of another holiday period!

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Archived