penang non-o multiple visiting family....

Within the next few weeks will have a couple of people not married to Thai on paper, but are fathers to Thai kids.  So they will apply for multiple entry non-immigrant O visas with this checklist:

Thai Visa Application

Passport with 10 months validity

2x recent passport photos appx 4.5 x 3.5cm

copy passport signed

copy of Thai parent's id card (signed)

copy of Thai birth certificate (signed)

copy housebook registration page (Tambien Baan) for Thai mom/child.

copy of Thai Bank Statement showing appx 400k THB

Missing anything?  Not sure if they will go to Consulate or use agent.

Thanks.

Check it will be open. Heard it is shutdown for a refurbishment/relocation or something.

You could get the non o as a parent from vientiane without the 400k funding requirement and I dare say it is cheaper transport wise and easier. Done penang and vientiane would always opt for vientiane

• Like 1

Check it will be open. Heard it is shutdown for a refurbishment/relocation or something.

You could get the non o as a parent from vientiane without the 400k funding requirement and I dare say it is cheaper transport wise and easier. Done penang and vientiane would always opt for vientiane
Are you sure you can get multiple entry non-o from Vientiane without being married on paper? That would be well known by now, unless that is a recent development

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

Are you sure you can get multiple entry non-o from Vientiane without being married on paper?

They will only do a single entry non-o visa. Even if married they will not do a multiple entry.

• Thanks 2

The renovated Penang Thai consulate is definitely an upgrade.   A couple of noteworthy observations:

- They are more strict about who they let into the consulate.  You must queue up outside and they throttle how many people come in (about 5 people in at a time).  They don't have a "proper" queuing system like what you see in Thai banks, utility payment offices, etc.  You don't sign in to any logbook. 

They give you a numbered receipt like before that you hold onto and reuse to collect your passport the next day.  You still must stand in the line appropriate for your visa after you get inside (even though there are lots of seats). They have air condition in the waiting area once you are inside.

- People were turned away or questioned if they did not have the proper paperwork; mainly for the tourist visa:  no onward flight out of thailand within 60-90 days and for some people a bank statement showing 20k THB equivalent or something like that.  

The non-b.  Missing paperwork may result in only getting single entry vs multiple entry.  Mainly not having 10 months in work permit.  Or if the company paperwork is too "stale".  I don't know the exact "expiration date".  One guy initially was accepted for ME non-b (fee paid) and then his friend was told 5 min later he didn't have the 10 months on work permit....and could only get single entry.  He returned to the counter and was given the fee difference back.

- For the non-o for visiting family, it might be a good idea to bring originals for the stuff that ties you to Thailand.  e.g birth certificate/marriage certificate (proof of family) and/or the Thai bankbook (financial proof).  They accept the copies, but having the originals of one or more of those docs may help. 

Seems to be a new younger guy working there and is a bit of a stickler.  But a calm smile seems to smooth things over.  Surprisingly, there wasn't as long of a line as I thought there would be;  I assume more people are using agent services.  Good idea to get there around 08:30 or so on application day.

- Jim will not run the application with his staff if you are missing any major component.  (some guy didn't have the original bankbook for the non-o financial proof). Instead he will gather the application together and you apply in person (he'll arrange the taxis automatically for the application and the following day pickup).  He also checks your clothes and will [sometimes] lend you closed toe shoes, long pants, shirts covering shoulders, etc.  Doesn't have to be business attire, but I guess every little bit counts.

- Picking up the passport.  They let like 30 people with tickets in at a time.  But it is hotter as the sun is on that side of the consulate; very little shade.  Check your passport when you receive it to make sure the visa is correct.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

There is a report that Yangoon will issue for child whiteout financial support. 

Only one report. 

It is worth mentioning that the cited report was from someone who was resident in Myanmar, and was able to prove the child was in school in Thailand.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Hi again. Is Penang using the same online appointment booking system as KL? I emailed them but could not get any reply from them. Anyone here have any info on this issue? Thank you 

As far as I know Penang has not started requiring appointments yet. No reports about it and nothing on their website about it.

• 6 months later...

Are there any updates to this regarding the non-immigrant O (multiple entry) for visiting a Thai child in Penang?

I suspect a post over a year and a half old is hardly definitive when it comes to visa requirements in Thailand these days. Though I just noted replies as recent as February this year. 

Edited by metempsychotic

On 4/19/2018 at 12:14 AM, 4evermaat said:

- They are more strict about who they let into the consulate.  You must queue up outside and they throttle how many people come in (about 5 people in at a time)

Throttling people 5 at a time ? Hmmmm , that sounds a bit excessive.

• Confused 1

On 8/27/2019 at 2:38 PM, tomster said:

This is something I keep an eye on, here are a couple of recentish reports:

If you go, please post a list of the requirements to help others, I will do that next month after I have been.

thanks. will post when/if i have an update.