We're No. 1? Chiang Mai Air Pollution Smashes Competitors

snoop1130

We're No. 1? Chiang Mai Air Pollution Smashes Competitors

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

13324063461332406365l-696x392.jpg

Police direct traffic under a blanket of smog in Chiang Mai in March 2012.

CHIANG MAI — The “Rose of the North” won world recognition Wednesday for the dubious distinction of having the worst recorded air quality during peak conditions.

At about 1pm, pollution tracking service Air Visual, which combs data on various forms of pollution from monitoring stations around the globe, indexed Chiang Mai’s pollution at 170, or “unhealthy,” making it worse than Chengdu in China and Bangladesh’s Dhaka, at the time.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2018/04/12/were-no-1-chiang-mai-air-pollution-smashes-competitors/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-3-12

Excellent achievement Thailand; hats off! Next to finally achieving that much coveted number 1 position with the world's most deadliest roads; Thailand now also offers the world's shittiest air.

Let's go for the hat-trick and bring in another number 1 position. Maybe the highest number of tourist deaths? Or the highest number of rabies infections?

2 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

Excellent achievement Thailand; heads off! Next to finally achieving that much coveted number 1 position with the world's most deadliest roads; Thailand now also offers the world's shittiest air.

Let's go for the hat-trick and bring in another number 1 position. Maybe the highest number of tourist deaths? Or the highest number of rabies infections?

Hats off?    :smile:

Considering Chiang Mai was a pretty small town with clean air and no traffic jams when I arrived there 30 years ago this is quite a feat, managed only by politicians and officials who replicated all the problems of Bangkok despite having the disastrous results visible. And they still show no shame.

10 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Excellent achievement Thailand; hats off! Next to finally achieving that much coveted number 1 position with the world's most deadliest roads; Thailand now also offers the world's shittiest air.

Troll, if you just want to bash Thailand, go somewhere else, you're not wanted here.

First off, yes, Chiang Mai air quality can be very poor at times, sometimes it's even dire.

But the input to the article in the OP comes from a private company that produces and sells an air pollution app. and they are owned by IQair, one of the largest manufacturers of air purification systems. MOST importantly, whilst they do receive real data form some locations, they MODEL the rest, the numbers are therefore theoretical rather than real: https://www.airvisual.com/about

26 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Woohoo well done Chiangmai you finally got it.  Dirtiest and most unhealthy city on the planet.  Throw that in the tourist brouchers.

And perhaps give them luncheon vouchers as well.

36 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:
1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Woohoo well done Chiangmai you finally got it.  Dirtiest and most unhealthy city on the planet.  Throw that in the tourist brouchers.

And perhaps give them luncheon vouchers as well.

Waiter, I ordered the clear broth as my starter, but you've brought me Brown Windsor soup.

Sorry, sir it was clear when I left the kitchen with it.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

But the input to the article in the OP comes from a private company that produces and sells an air pollution app. and they are owned by IQair, one of the largest manufacturers of air purification systems. MOST importantly, whilst they do receive real data form some locations, they MODEL the rest, the numbers are therefore theoretical rather than real: https://www.airvisual.com/about

A quick look out the window, or stepping outside for a not-so-fresh breath of air would tell anyone with half a brain that there's definitely truth in the OP. Combine this with the readings on https://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangmai---cmis/ and I'd say it's pretty clear that Chiang Mai is a solid contender for the worlds shittiest air. 

However, if believing everyone is full of it and Chiang Mai's got nothing but clear blue skies makes you sleep better at night, by all means keep at it.

2 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

A quick look out the window, or stepping outside for a not-so-fresh breath of air would tell anyone with half a brain that there's definitely truth in the OP. Combine this with the readings on https://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangmai---cmis/ and I'd say it's pretty clear that Chiang Mai is a solid contender for the worlds shittiest air. 

However, if believing everyone is full of it and Chiang Mai's got nothing but clear blue skies makes you sleep better at night, by all means keep at it.

Which part of the first two lines of my post did you not understand!

4 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Go up in the mountains and look down and you can see how bad the man made pollution is in & around Chiang Mai

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Go up in the mountains and watch the inversion layer at work, look at locally caused pollution and go look at pollution that is blown in from Myanmar.....which do you want us to look at!

9 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Go up in the mountains and look down and you can see how bad the man made pollution is in & around Chiang Mai

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Oh, I was told it was a romantic setting, the morning mist rolling down the mountains :shock1:

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Have you ever looked at the AQ figures for China? CM is still positively clean compared to a LOT of Chinese cities, thats without the numbers from the cities that are unreported. I have been in both Beijing & Shanghai when the index has been over 500, 650 one time in Beijing. There's enough to knock Thailand about without the untrue dramatics :shock1:

58 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Ha ha ha! Did you know they've taken "gullible" out of the dictionary?  :smile:

I thought at the time that the morning mist smelt strange, funny I thought, funny, when showering of the dirt after being in the open for only 4 hours.

14 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Considering Chiang Mai was a pretty small town with clean air and no traffic jams when I arrived there 30 years ago this is quite a feat, managed only by politicians and officials who replicated all the problems of Bangkok despite having the disastrous results visible. And they still show no shame.

Can one wonder this feat might be written on the account of the money hunger of a certain clan?

Archived