We're No. 1? Chiang Mai Air Pollution Smashes Competitors

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, aussie11950 said:

So, the worst pollution in the world and the government tries to prosecute a pertinant message about using facemasks using a former king, but only hands out facemasks.

but nothing else?

You can't have kings standing around in facemasks, that would be like giving king Harold a safety helmet with a plexi-glass visor, ''where's your arrow now Norman''

Chiangmai is in a bowl - and yes with all the burning the smoke drifts down - no burning fields year after year by the authorities - but they still do it - they’re absolutely as useless as a chocolate fireguard !!!! (And yes did live there) 

The air pollution in CM is bad, so in my view, any news media attention that calls attention to that fact -- even using wrong data -- is doing a public service.

I don't think CM is anywhere near close to the worst pollution in the world, as indicated by the following chart. But I'm OK if people here are led to think it is, as perhaps that might spur some greater response from the government.

The levels in this chart below are micrograms of PM2.5 for the periods specified -- not the AQI numbers, which operate on an entirely different scale where the numbers are much higher than the actual microgram numbers. I ordered the chart by average PM2.5 in micrograms for the past 30 days, and CM isn't anywhere near the top of the list. In fact, it isn't on the 40 worst pollution cities at all by average for the past month.

Bottom line -- being better than cities in China is no cause for celebration.

http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/CityAverageList.php?mode=4

5ad04f667628e_2018-04-1313_33_34.jpg.b3419c60c6ef0ddab203882c08c1e9ed.jpg

FWIW, the 252.6 micrograms of PM2.5 monthly average for Kashgar in China, the worst city for the monthly average ranking, is equal to an AQI reading of 303 / hazardous.  So CM is trailing that, fortunately, by a long way.

And if you change the list ranking to just the past single day, CM is still nowhere on the list of the 40 worst pollution cities. The vast majority are still in China, with a few other locations/countries -- India, UAE, and North Korea -- taking a few spots.

Cherry-picking a single day when PM2.5 was particularly (!) high and inferring that Chiang Mai is the worst-polluted city in the World is plainly ridiculous. There are many, many cities in China and India that have far worse year-round average figures, not to mention some in the West too.

18 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Cherry-picking a single day when PM2.5 was particularly (!) high and inferring that Chiang Mai is the worst-polluted city in the World is plainly ridiculous. There are many, many cities in China and India that have far worse year-round average figures, not to mention some in the West too.

Amazing....you didn't read the contribution immediately before yours?????????????

I hate it when contributors rush to give their opinion without first reading the opinions of others, which might have covered what they were going to say....

2 minutes ago, blazes said:

Amazing....you didn't read the contribution immediately before yours?????????????

I hate it when contributors rush to give their opinion without first reading the opinions of others, which might have covered what they were going to say....

Get a life.

I posted the following as a separate thread but in the interests of education I'll post it here also:

Judging from the number of “confused” emoticon clicks in a recent thread about pollution in Chiang Mai, it seems many posters don’t understand what an inversion layer is……this is for those people:

Chiang Mai is one of many places around the world that is well known for its inversion layer, this is where meteorological conditions are frequently opposite to the way they should be. Under normal conditions, the air is hottest closest to the earth, it then becomes cooler the further you move into the atmosphere.

In an inversion layer, the opposite becomes true and a layer of cold air becomes trapped close to the ground so it cannot rise. The layer of cooler air is heavier and contains moisture hence it gives rise to fog, it also traps pollutants so PM levels frequently appear much higher than normal.

There is no denying that Northern Thailand has a burning problem and that farmers need to be educated and to change their way of working. But there are two other factors apart from local behaviour which impact poor air quality in Chiang Mai Province and these are largely outside of the control of the authorities, they include the inversion layer and the degree to which polluted air is blown in from surrounding countries.

There’s more about the subject of inversion layers on the web, some of it is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology)

15 minutes ago, dickjones2018 said:

as long as they can blame it on other countries, they will...

If you want to just bash then don't waste my time. But if you want to understand the issue then read the above, look at the NASA firemaps of the region and in tandem with those things, look at the wind maps to see what comes from where.

https://www.windfinder.com/#5/19.7047/95.1416/2018-02-20T00:00Z

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/

Archived