BANGKOK 27 March 2019 05:10
JetsetBkk

Affordable health insurance for anyone in Thailand

"Bangkok Insurance Brokers Company will launch a group health policy loosely based on the successful Swiss health care system. This group health policy is the largest group insured in Thailand. Anyone is welcome to join this group, the more the better."

Have a look here:

http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/affordable-health-insurance-for-anyone-in-thailand/

From the site:

Main points:

• 500,000 Baht Basic cover and 500,000 Baht Optional Major Medical cover.

• This insurance ONLY covers treatment at over 1,000 Thai government hospitals.

• ALL foreigners and Thai nationals of all ages can join (men, women and children).

• Renewal is guaranteed for LIFE, no cut-off age for renewals.

• ONLY inpatient cover for sickness and accidental injuries.

• NO outpatient cover.

• NO cover outside Thailand.

No-claims discounts

• After 1 plan year                    = 10% premium discount.

• After 2 plan years                  = 15% premium discount.

• After 3 plan years                  = 20% premium discount.

• After 4 plan years                  = 25% premium discount.

• Thanks 1

Without "joining" a "group," any idea what the costs are/will be?

• Like 2

I'd like to know if anyone has had experience with Premier Health insurance plans. I am in the high-risk age group (73), and have only had success getting major medical insurance (with a very high $7500 deductible and no coverage in the U.S.) from Cigna Global (at more than $6000/year). I have a quote from Premier Health for about the same price, but with a lower deductible, and it claims to cover me in the U.S. as well (with a $3000 deductible). As I am obviously covered by Medicare in the U.S., the U.S. coverage is not critical for me. Any comments very welcome. 

2 hours ago, sghanchey said:

I'd like to know if anyone has had experience with Premier Health insurance plans. I am in the high-risk age group (73), and have only had success getting major medical insurance (with a very high $7500 deductible and no coverage in the U.S.) from Cigna Global (at more than $6000/year). I have a quote from Premier Health for about the same price, but with a lower deductible, and it claims to cover me in the U.S. as well (with a $3000 deductible). As I am obviously covered by Medicare in the U.S., the U.S. coverage is not critical for me. Any comments very welcome. 

Do you have a link to this? The only Premier Health I know of is a US based insurance covering people in the US, would certainly not have direct payment arrangements with Thai hospitals and probably nto cover someone living abroad (though might cover emergencies while travelling). ore to the point their website says:

"Effective April 1, 2018, Premier Health Plan no longer offers any individual products."

17 hours ago, nausea said:

Anyone who can give me Government Hospital only coverage would be very welcome. It's what I've been looking for, to be honest. 

my 45minute test on Monday 25,000bht.out patient dep.CHEAP IS IT?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If you require admission to a government hospital that entails prolonged ICU care and multiple specialized surgeries -- as can happen if you have a serious accident, major cardiac event or major stroke - bill can easily exceed 1 million baht.

Which is still about 1/4 what would happen at a private hospital

Planning to use only government hospital does nto reduce the need for insurance. But a policy limited to government hospitals, where costs are typically 1/3 - 1/5 that of private, should certainly have much lower premiums.

I wonder what you thought of my cost of my test that was done.[procedure posted my inr range.]

I have 1,000,000bht.self cover.i am just wondering what it would cover.

People need to understand the limitations of this proposed plan.  As Sheryl pointed out, treatment for a major medical problem like a serious accident or some cardiac or stroke events could exceed the annual 500,000 baht limit, even at a government hospital.  Also, the wait time for many less serious procedures can be quite long at government hospitals.  And it may be that plan participants can't "select" their gov't hospital, but instead are required to use the gov't hospital that serves their amphur.  I know that here in  Muang Chiang Mai, that would be Nakorn Ping hospital, yet most expats would prefer to go to the Chiang Mai University hospital, Suan Dok, a higher level regional gov't regional hospital.  That option may not be available under the plan.  

• Thanks 1

not sure where I stand with the hospital I use[gov] I registered when the 2,800bht. scheme came in and went out as quick.but I have always had treatment there after a series of seizure's.scans ect,medication which has always been very fair,scans around 3,000bht.but I do get a 50% discount on a private room,as the wife is a volunteer for the health clinic.

but I did see a list of what my cost on Monday was.no change out of 25,000bht.i have always found the hospital to be fair and a good system at work.the only down side is the amount of people waiting,you do need to wear a MASK.

• Like 1