BANGKOK
JetsetBkk

Affordable health insurance for anyone in Thailand

On 4/25/2018 at 8:50 AM, meatboy said:

I wonder what you thought of my cost of my test that was done.[procedure posted my inr range.]

I have 1,000,000bht.self cover.i am just wondering what it would cover.

If you use only government hospitals, and if you can keep replenishing this 1 mill baht as it is used up, you are OK for almost anything.

The problem for a lot of people is that they can't replenish their savings for medical care. You are unlikely to need more than 1 mill baht for care in a government hospital for any single illness or accident, but quite likely to need more than 1 million for multiple things in aggregate  over the years, especially if you live long or develop a serious chronic disease. 

• Like 2

I'd be very happy to get a plan for 3000B/month ; depending on the  small print  , etc

'self insurance' to me  just means 'no insurance' ...... and probably often ends up in people neglecting  preventative care

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 7:16 PM, simoh1490 said:

...And for goodness sake, what does, loosely based on the successful Swiss healthcare system mean! ... Anyone smell fish.

Perhaps based on the Emmentaler Insurance offerings.  Just because there's a red cross on it doesn't mean it's good.  The policy is full of holes.  Smells cheesy to me.  Although you are right.  By the time it gets to Thailand it will be fishy.

image.png.7d08752df9727b145c5500323ecfdcc6.png

Edited by Damrongsak

Its all a load of rubbish anyway for the elderly, best policy would be,'we will detect,but not treat'  clear off to India or back home.   The elderly think they are buying everlasting health,not so,terminal stage of life reached,that's it bye bye

• Sad 1

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 7:46 PM, ThaiPauly said:

Well when you google the address they are Phuket Insurance Brokers...they do not mention this anywhere in their blurb!

Their name is Bangkok Insurance Brokers Company. The company was registered in 2007 and is based in Phuket.

I've known the company for a few years since they arranged my "First Class" pickup insurance after my existing company would only insure it for "Third Party" because of its age.

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 5:36 AM, wpcoe said:

Without "joining" a "group," any idea what the costs are/will be?

I believe they are aiming for 30,000 annual premium or less. The more people show interest by signing up, the more bargaining power the broker has to negotiate with the insurance companies. They have just passed 1,300 names, Thai and Farang.

I recently got quotes from one of the "Expat Insurance" adverts that keep popping up on my mobile. The cheapest was 115,000 baht, the next cheapest was 166,000 baht, then 250,000. Then they got really expensive...

But what put me off was the exclusions - basically anything you've had, currently have, anything you think you might have and anything you ought to have are all excluded. So I'll be interested in the details of the exclusions of this scheme once it gets finalised

But this insurance will guarantee emergency treatment at any of the 1,000 government hospitals.

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 9:02 PM, Sheryl said:

Yes, this is a broker who has evidentally identified the unmet need for a low cost, government hospital only policy and is trying to persuade a Bangkok-based  insurance company (I do nto know which one) to develop such a policy.Wwhat they are asking people to sign is in effect a petition stating interest,  for the purpose of persuading the insurance company that there is a real market for something of this type. Which there is, if it is done right.

Registering interest doe nto commit you in any way to (1) buying such a policy if it materializes nor (2) necessarily buying it from that broker even if you do buy it. If it comes to pass I expect most brokers will be able to sell it.

I think you're right on all counts. I'm pretty sure that if it comes into existence and the premium is in the 30K region, I'll get it. I may use it as a backup - if I feel like a quiet room with a pretty-pretty visiting me every hour to mop my brow, I'll go to BKK-Phuket. Otherwise, I'll go to a government hospital.  :) 

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 1:53 PM, sghanchey said:

I'd like to know if anyone has had experience with Premier Health insurance plans. I am in the high-risk age group (73), and have only had success getting major medical insurance (with a very high $7500 deductible and no coverage in the U.S.) from Cigna Global (at more than $6000/year). I have a quote from Premier Health for about the same price, but with a lower deductible, and it claims to cover me in the U.S. as well (with a $3000 deductible). As I am obviously covered by Medicare in the U.S., the U.S. coverage is not critical for me. Any comments very welcome. 

I've had quotes from Cigna for about US$9,000 per year. I'm younger than you, so you must be very fit for your age!   :smile:

My quotes came via NowCompare.com: https://www.nowcompare.com/thailand/en/health-insurance

10 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I believe they are aiming for 30,000 annual premium or less. The more people show interest by signing up, the more bargaining power the broker has to negotiate with the insurance companies. They have just passed 1,300 names, Thai and Farang.

I recently got quotes from one of the "Expat Insurance" adverts that keep popping up on my mobile. The cheapest was 115,000 baht, the next cheapest was 166,000 baht, then 250,000. Then they got really expensive...

But what put me off was the exclusions - basically anything you've had, currently have, anything you think you might have and anything you ought to have are all excluded. So I'll be interested in the details of the exclusions of this scheme once it gets finalised

But this insurance will guarantee emergency treatment at any of the 1,000 government hospitals.

as I am registered with a government hospital 15minutes away IT WOULD suite me,but with so much history the past 11yrs.i might have to have an extra 0 to my premium.

13 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I've had quotes from Cigna for about US$9,000 per year. I'm younger than you, so you must be very fit for your age!   :smile:

My quotes came via NowCompare.com: https://www.nowcompare.com/thailand/en/health-insurance

That must be including outpatient cover, which doubles costs and is seldom worth it.

Cigna for a say 70 year old man inpatient only (which includes day surgeries, scans, outpatient cancer treatment)  will be around 4,500, can get it below 4K by taking some deductible. Better to go to the Cigna site to get more accurate quote and play around with options like deductible, The site you mention just gives a very rough idea. It is NOT a quote from the actual insurance company.  Pretty much all the insurers have their own websites where you can get detailed quotes under different scenarios of cover, deductible etc.

• Like 1

That must be including outpatient cover, which doubles costs and is seldom worth it.

Cigna for a say 70 year old man inpatient only (which includes day surgeries, scans, outpatient cancer treatment)  will be around 4,500, can get it below 4K by taking some deductible. Better to go to the Cigna site to get more accurate quote and play around with options like deductible, The site you mention just gives a very rough idea. It is NOT a quote from the actual insurance company.  Pretty much all the insurers have their own websites where you can get detailed quotes under different scenarios of cover, deductible etc.
I just got a quote for Silver £96 a month with a larger deductable. I'm a relatively younger man though. I was surprised there was no question regarding pre-existing conditions? Maybe that comes later

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, you're right. In my list of 22 quotes from various companies provided by NowCompare.com there were two close together from Cigna of about $US9,000. I missed a cheaper quote - inpatient only - of around $US5,250.

The outpatient-included quotes had a maximum cover limit of $US10,000.

5 hours ago, meatboy said:

as I am registered with a government hospital 15minutes away IT WOULD suite me,but with so much history the past 11yrs.i might have to have an extra 0 to my premium.

This group policy will cover pre-existing medical conditions, but not for the first 6 months of cover.

See Basic level of cover, items 3. and 4.

Basic Level of Cover:

1. 500,000 Baht annual limit.
  2. Inpatient cover ONLY.
  3. Covers pre-existing medical conditions after the waiting period.
  4. Standard waiting periods apply (30 days for all medical claims and 180 days for short-list of medical conditions*).

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

<snip>

Contrary to what some have said, insurance policies do not exclude "everything you've ever had". 

<snip>

I'm guessing that sentence was aimed at me! :whistling:

Here're the words from the Regency For Expats brochure that I received. Their quote was the cheapest:

"We will not cover the following:
1. Any claim relating directly or indirectly to any medical condition or related condition for which you have received treatment, had symptoms of, had knowledge existed or should have known existed, or you sought advice for prior to your date of entry (preexisting medical condition).
2. Any claim relating directly or indirectly to an incident, injury or illness which you were aware of at the time you purchased this insurance and which could reasonably be expected to lead to a claim."

I think that covers "everything you've ever had", and a bit more!  :biggrin: