Affordable health insurance for anyone in Thailand

JetsetBkk

29 minutes ago, HampiK said:

For me there exists 2 kind of Health Insurance:

• Insurance take care of everything and therefore they are expensive
  • Insurance which only take care of bigger things (so they can have higher deductibles)
    small things you pay yourself.

I am not sure yet which way I want to go at the  end. At the moment I use the first type. This is easy to change to the second type. But from the second type you can't change if you have already a problem came up.

In my opinion I also happy when the Insurance only take care of a real big Issue which would cost more than 200'000 baht. The small things like 5'000 baht or something I not have a problem to pay it myself. I not need an Insurance which pay my medicine when I feel a headache. That's the main problem, why the Insurances become more and more expensive.

If you are old(with insurance,or without) there is nothing to put back,its worn out,kaput,whatever it is,heart valve etc whatever the heart valve was attached to is kaput,its all expensive rubbish insurance for the elderly

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, faraday said:

Oh dear, Robert, you do seem a little confused if you believe that.

What to be expected from someone bouncing around in a  rocker.  At least those  elderly with insurance can get their toe nails cut in a comparatively expensive environment like PBH.  I admit though having insurance does get one a far earlier diagnosis,after all you do want something back from bunging out all that money for so long

16 hours ago, HampiK said:

For me there exists 2 kind of Health Insurance:

• Insurance take care of everything and therefore they are expensive
  • Insurance which only take care of bigger things (so they can have higher deductibles)
    small things you pay yourself.

I am not sure yet which way I want to go at the  end. At the moment I use the first type. This is easy to change to the second type. But from the second type you can't change if you have already a problem came up.

In my opinion I also happy when the Insurance only take care of a real big Issue which would cost more than 200'000 baht. The small things like 5'000 baht or something I not have a problem to pay it myself. I not need an Insurance which pay my medicine when I feel a headache. That's the main problem, why the Insurances become more and more expensive.

HP QUOTES small things like 5,000bht.what is a small thing? what I would look at is,after care [out patient] and what you are prepared to put up with.as I have said,i use a government hospital,as my past experiances have not been that serious,mini stroke and seizures,but this last couple of weeks I have been a out patient,so if you are prepared to wait your turn as I have experienced this week,one 6hr.wait for a doctor to prescribe  some meds.you do need to go there very early to get a queue no.first 6-7am.even at 7am the place is full..and then hope the doctor comes on time around 9am.-10am.so tests can be expensive mine 10days ago 25,000bht. then there after care follow ups.some medication is very reasonable,but one of mine costs 1,500bht.for 2 x 28days,56 tabs..i buy quite a lot from a big pharmacy [9yrs] in the city  yet if you are treated in a government hospital you will find some of the [must have]meds will be cheaper.so if the ins.policy doesn't cover after care,as well as hospital visits to see the doctor or out patient trips. those can add up.

Well I'll be honest. I haven't read all this thread which is 7 pages long. Has anybody signed up and got a payout. All I want is access to Thai public hospitals in an emergency. It all seems very theoretical at the moment.

24 minutes ago, nausea said:

Well I'll be honest. I haven't read all this thread which is 7 pages long. Has anybody signed up and got a payout. All I want is access to Thai public hospitals in an emergency. It all seems very theoretical at the moment.

Health insurance isn't a scam.   I know dozens of people in Chiang Mai who have been hospitalized and had their bills paid by Health Care International and other international health insurance companies in private hospitals.  I'm just more aware of HCI because it's my insurance company. 

The gov't hospitals aren't especially good at handling claims for international health insurance.  Often they can't turn out the documents in the correct formats and they don't want to do direct billing of the insurance companies. 

55 minutes ago, nausea said:

The plan does nto yet exist. They are seeking non-binding expressions of interest in order to show the insurer that there is a demand for this.  Since it sounds like you would be interested, go to the site and add your name.

On Friday, May 04, 2018 at 9:06 AM, altcar bob said:

What to be expected from someone bouncing around in a  rocker.  At least those  elderly with insurance can get their toe nails cut in a comparatively expensive environment like PBH.  I admit though having insurance does get one a far earlier diagnosis,after all you do want something back from bunging out all that money for so long

re. earlier diagnosis...

Linky

b78d8da8-58f0-4096-9ac8-9b25cba1e5b6.jpg

Healthy Fair 2018

Bangkok Hospital Phuket 23rd Anniversary Celebration with the best health      check-up packages ever!
From 1 - 31 May 2018 
and keep it for use until 31 July 2018

293e5a5e-4e49-4f02-85ed-20fa21c31b7f.jpg
iHealthy
1,900THB
0593cf67-9bd9-4089-b85d-9459d0abb359.jpg
Men's Health
3,950THB 
https://www.phukethospital.com/package/duo-check-up-program/
Duo
6,900THB 
7e441783-edf1-44ed-af3d-98495e258ccc.jpg
Super Man
7,900THB
c0cd4ba3-3574-43ac-919c-16ea741aa7a4.jpg
Whole body
22,000THB 
e7024be1-ba6b-4335-a6bc-a98a88b8f284.jpg
Super Woman
8,900THB

10 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

re. earlier diagnosis...

Linky

b78d8da8-58f0-4096-9ac8-9b25cba1e5b6.jpg

Healthy Fair 2018

Bangkok Hospital Phuket 23rd Anniversary Celebration with the best health      check-up packages ever!
From 1 - 31 May 2018 
and keep it for use until 31 July 2018

293e5a5e-4e49-4f02-85ed-20fa21c31b7f.jpg
iHealthy
1,900THB
0593cf67-9bd9-4089-b85d-9459d0abb359.jpg
Men's Health
3,950THB 
https://www.phukethospital.com/package/duo-check-up-program/
Duo
6,900THB 
7e441783-edf1-44ed-af3d-98495e258ccc.jpg
Super Man
7,900THB
c0cd4ba3-3574-43ac-919c-16ea741aa7a4.jpg
Whole body
22,000THB 
e7024be1-ba6b-4335-a6bc-a98a88b8f284.jpg
Super Woman
8,900THB

You will get early diagnosis here OK,just a money earning exercise,diagnosed from the Black Death to a condition that only can be cured by an instant admission ,touting for business. 

Put on before my friend  73   went there for problem with heart,so he thought,talked into instant admission 1.25 million baht....same procedure India about 100,000 baht (if needed)

This insurance ONLY covers treatment at over 1,000 Thai government hospitals.

ALL foreigners and Thai nationals of all ages can join (men, women and children).

I wonder how this will work with a unique premium given that (some? most? all?) government hospitals seem to automatically charge farangs more than they charge Thais for the same treatment?

Logically any premium for a non-Thai would have to be higher than that for a Thai, simply to cover these extra charges.

actually most government hospitals do nto do this.

It occurs mainly in locations with large numbers of foreigners.

I saw that you pointed that out recently in another topic, and thank you for that.

However if they are advertising this to farangs the assumption must be that farangs will buy it, and will at some point end up using a government hospital. And most farangs will be living in areas that have other farangs, I suspect, and so the government hospitals will be seeing more farangs.

So at some point my question will arise at most hospitals used by farangs, and would already apply at all the ones in and around Pattaya, as far as I know. How can the insurance company hope to do this at a unique price for both Thais and farangs, and, more importantly, for all farangs regardless of which hospital they use? Something doesnt quite add up for me.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I saw that you pointed that out recently in another topic, and thank you for that.

However if they are advertising this to farangs the assumption must be that farangs will buy it, and will at some point end up using a government hospital. And most farangs will be living in areas that have other farangs, I suspect, and so the government hospitals will be seeing more farangs.

So at some point my question will arise at most hospitals used by farangs, and would already apply at all the ones in and around Pattaya, as far as I know. How can the insurance company hope to do this at a unique price for both Thais and farangs, and, more importantly, for all farangs regardless of which hospital they use? Something doesnt quite add up for me.

as I posted earlier those who think ins.at a government hospital will be cheap,yes it might,but what about after care,out patient visits and medication.these will not be covered by whats proposed.

On Tuesday, May 08, 2018 at 1:12 PM, meatboy said:

as I posted earlier those who think ins.at a government hospital will be cheap,yes it might,but what about after care,out patient visits and medication.these will not be covered by whats proposed.

Plan Summary:

• 500,000 Baht Basic cover and 500,000 Baht Optional Major Medical cover.
  • This insurance ONLY covers treatment at over 1,000 Thai government hospitals.
  • ALL foreigners and Thai nationals of all ages can join (men, women and children).
  • Renewal is guaranteed for LIFE, no cut-off age for renewals.
  • ONLY inpatient cover for sickness and accidental injuries.
  • NO outpatient cover.
  • NO cover outside Thailand.

Plan Summary:
  • ALL foreigners and Thai nationals of all ages can join (men, women and children).
  • NO outpatient cover.
What's the premium for that cover? Equiv of £12k, £12k optional. Cover is so low that the premium also needs to be very low

39 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
50 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:
Plan Summary:
  • NO outpatient cover.

What's the premium for that cover? Equiv of £12k, £12k optional. Cover is so low that the premium also needs to be very low

When I signed up for more information they said they were targeting 3000 baht per month. So they are obviously targeting only elderly and high risk groups.

Depending on the issue,  1'000'000 THB coverage will be a joke.  Only inpatient ? If a hospital keeps you inpatient, your issue is serious and 1'000'000 THB coverage has a big risk not to cover at full. 

And are the doctors and the treatment adequate in government hospitals ? What about the long queues ?

Seems a (cheap) policy definately, but with some nasty surprises on arrival should you need your insurance.

One would need to be very cautious before getting into such a plan.

2 hours ago, ricklev said:

There seems to be no response when you sign up to express interest.  It seems like an auto response would be appropriate.

I've had the same thing - is this idea still alive?

On Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 4:35 PM, observer90210 said:

Depending on the issue,  1'000'000 THB coverage will be a joke.  Only inpatient ? If a hospital keeps you inpatient, your issue is serious and 1'000'000 THB coverage has a big risk not to cover at full. 

Kidney stone removal: 200,000 baht.

Not a joke.

On 09/05/2018 at 4:35 PM, observer90210 said:

And are the doctors and the treatment adequate in government hospitals ? What about the long queues ?

Seems a (cheap) policy definately, but with some nasty surprises on arrival should you need your insurance.

Sounds a bit like the NHS.

Kidney stone removal 200,000 Baht (post 110)   go to ,Medifee kidney stones,dozens of hospitals doing them,on site/off site will be cheaper   two hours away  Calcutta  Rps70000  >35000 baht
                                            Rps 27000> 13500 baht    Facebook,google them

Kidney Stone by Charnock Hospitals

Variant: General ward - Ureteroscopy Rs. 70000.00

Variant: Semi private ward - Ureteroscopy Rs. 85000.00
Variant: Private ward - Ureteroscopy Rs. 105000.00
Variant: Deluxe Room - Ureteroscopy Rs. 120000.00

Kidney Stone by Narayana Multispeciality Hospital

Variant: General ward - Ureteroscopy - Grade A Rs. 27000.00

Variant: Semi private ward - Ureteroscopy - Grade A Rs. 33000.00
Variant: Private ward - Ureteroscopy - Grade A Rs. 40000.00

Kidney Stone by Medica Superspecialty Hospital

6 hours ago, altcar bob said:

Kidney stone removal 200,000 Baht (post 110)   go to ,Medifee kidney stones,dozens of hospitals doing them,on site/off site will be cheaper   two hours away  Calcutta  Rps70000  >35000 baht

I can assure you that if you ever get a kidney stone, the last thing you will be thinking of is what's the fastest/cheapest way to get to a hospital in India.

roll_eyes.gif.36780dbb6cefc02361a70adebe6179c1.gif

45 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I can assure you that if you ever get a kidney stone, the last thing you will be thinking of is what's the fastest/cheapest way to get to a hospital in India.

roll_eyes.gif.36780dbb6cefc02361a70adebe6179c1.gif

Some people may,some may not.  One thing for certain no way Id have anything done in Thailand,though its free in the UK

1 hour ago, altcar bob said:

Some people may,some may not.  One thing for certain no way Id have anything done in Thailand,though its free in the UK

Sooner or later, if you intend to remain here for the rest of your life, the time will very likely come when you have no choice.

Flying to India for health care is not always possible.

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Sooner or later, if you intend to remain here for the rest of your life, the time will very likely come when you have no choice.

Flying to India for health care is not always possible.

Just the other day, I had an idiocy attack in the kitchen and cut my finger badly with a knife.  I couldn't get the bleeding to stop.  It was nice to be able to walk to a hospital and have it stitched up and be back in my favorite neighborhood restaurant ordering, rather than attempting to cook my dinner within an hour.  No need to go to India!

I've pulled similar stunts in the U.S. and have to kiss off the rest of the evening waiting around a busy E/R because they do "triage" and a ton of paperwork.  

Normally Hubby doesn't let me use knives in the kitchen (he does the chopping), but he wasn't around that particular night.

21 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Just the other day, I had an idiocy attack in the kitchen and cut my finger badly with a knife.  I couldn't get the bleeding to stop.  It was nice to be able to walk to a hospital and have it stitched up and be back in my favorite neighborhood restaurant ordering, rather than attempting to cook my dinner within an hour.  No need to go to India!

I've pulled similar stunts in the U.S. and have to kiss off the rest of the evening waiting around a busy E/R because they do "triage" and a ton of paperwork.  

Normally Hubby doesn't let me use knives in the kitchen (he does the chopping), but he wasn't around that particular night.

This is the height of ridiculous,cut finger/stitches,yes think Id baulk at a flight too

10 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

This is the height of ridiculous,cut finger/stitches,yes think Id baulk at a flight too

So, is getting on a flight to India when you're suffering from kidney stones.  You were the one who said you'd never have ANYTHING done in Thailand.

14 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

I've never heard of a cut, finger or otherwise, being described as ' ridiculous'.

A very bizarre comment.

Archived