Affordable health insurance for anyone in Thailand

JetsetBkk

" EVERY time I had a procedure paid by insurance at a private hospital they seemed keen to put me in the  VIP suite.  "

that, and the fact that the insurance company intend to make a buck out
of the whole thing, means that the younger crop that pays for the insurance
are losing money hand over fist on an average, they would be much better off
saving those money for the rainy day

i think the best system is to cut off leaches
like insurance companies & lawyers,
and the state pays the bills with tax money

Yes, tax money from the rich!!!

Everyone that has more than me should have to pay!!!!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
12 hours ago, faraday said:
I've never heard of a cut, finger or otherwise, being described as ' ridiculous'.

A very bizarre comment.

It was a ridiculous example, as if someone would get a flight to India for a cut finger

Of course it was a ridiculous example, just as is the statement of Alcar Bob's that he'd NEVER have ANYTHING done in Thailand. 

By his own admission, had he been in my place, he would have just sucked it up, wrapped up his finger tightly, and put up with days of inconvenience rather than walking 300 meters to a close private hospital, showing his Bangkok Bank accident insurance card, having them zip in three little stitches and being on his way without seeing a bill in 20 minutes then going to his favorite restaurant to contemplate how he shouldn't have been attempting complex cooking without his cooking partner around to do the slicing and dicing.  Oh, and the hospital offered a tetanus shot, too, to be covered by the accident insurance and pain killers, but I'd had a tetanus shot last year and the pain killers weren't necessary, except for a numbing shot during the actual stitching.

Medical care like this is very convenient in Thailand and while this admittedly is a very minor injury, it is good to have it taken care of without it having the potential to turn into something infected.

His preaching of going to India for major medical procedures and constant slagging of the quality of Thailand medical care is just plain wrong.

Quite agree Nancy.

I've had a Hip replacement, & some minor day surgery done here. Excellent care, & great outcome.

My wife also had a D&C etc. She was pleased with the care & attention.

Hope your finger's ok now. :smile:

I will add, there is considerably less of the 'attitude' by some Clinicians I've experienced in the UK.

5 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Of course it was a ridiculous example, just as is the statement of Alcar Bob's that he'd NEVER have ANYTHING done in Thailand. 

By his own admission, had he been in my place, he would have just sucked it up, wrapped up his finger tightly, and put up with days of inconvenience rather than walking 300 meters to a close private hospital, showing his Bangkok Bank accident insurance card, having them zip in three little stitches and being on his way without seeing a bill in 20 minutes then going to his favorite restaurant to contemplate how he shouldn't have been attempting complex cooking without his cooking partner around to do the slicing and dicing.  Oh, and the hospital offered a tetanus shot, too, to be covered by the accident insurance and pain killers, but I'd had a tetanus shot last year and the pain killers weren't necessary, except for a numbing shot during the actual stitching.

Medical care like this is very convenient in Thailand and while this admittedly is a very minor injury, it is good to have it taken care of without it having the potential to turn into something infected.

His preaching of going to India for major medical procedures and constant slagging of the quality of Thailand medical care is just plain wrong.

I can support you on that. I use our district hospital a lot when it comes to minor things such as minor accidents or ailments. Extremely fast, convenient ,friendly and cheap. On the other hand I did my vasectomy at Buriram hospital and the complex prostate diagnosis I get done at Bumrungrad. For Prostate treatment I might look at Switzerland, France or India, but I don't fancy the idea of flying back from Europe with a pee bag...

14 minutes ago, faraday said:

Quite agree Nancy.

I've had a Hip replacement, & some minor day surgery done here. Excellent care, & great outcome.

My wife also had a D&C etc. She was pleased with the care & attention.

Hope your finger's ok now. :smile:

I will add, there is considerably less of the 'attitude' by some Clinicians I've experienced in the UK.

Yes, had I been in the U.S., I probably would have done what was suggested and just wrapped the finger and sucked it up rather than spending five hours in the E/R, put up with "attitude" (like what I had to endure when I put my hand into a jammed blender with the power still on -- I told you I'm not to be trusted alone in the kitchen) and had my insurance billed for $1000.

Things always seem to happen when Hubby is away.  In August he was in Malaysia for three weeks and I guess I "ignored" a bladder infection because I was too busy taking care of the stuff he does around the condo and one of our cats was having surgery to remove a cancerous lump and he didn't come out of the anesthesia well and developed projectile vomiting the next day in the condo.  So, I "ignored" what was going on with me and it spread to a kidney infection and blood sepsis.  After taking the cat back to the vet after the vomiting episode, I realized I had a problem and got myself to Bangkok Hospital, thinking they'd give me some antibiotics or something and send me on my way.  Instead, I was an inpatient for five days on IV antibiotics (I didn't realize how serious blood sepsis is) and received five star treatment at a cost below the deductible of our comprehensive health insurance.  Again, no way was I in shape physically or with my home situation to get myself on an airplane to India.  

Info on India gives people another option so its a good thing he shares his knowledge.

How much is your accident insurance? When i looked into it the premium wasn't really worth the coverage, might as well self insure

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Info on India gives people another option so its a good thing he shares his knowledge.

How much is your accident insurance? When i looked into it the premium wasn't really worth the coverage, might as well self insure

It's 7000 baht/year for a max of 200,000 baht of cover with no deductible.  Not exactly a comprehensive policy but widely accepted by the private hospitals and great for stupid kitchen accidents, and minor fractures.  We also have a more comprehensive major medical policy with a high deductible.  

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

It's 7000 baht/year for a max of 200,000 baht of cover with no deductible.  Not exactly a comprehensive policy but widely accepted by the private hospitals and great for stupid kitchen accidents, and minor fractures.  We also have a more comprehensive major medical policy with a high deductible.  

Guessing here,so when 60/65 years old reached the 200,000 baht cover is halved and the premiums doubled

Which company, Nancy? I also have a high deductible major policy so might be interested in this.
This is the best cover I've found for personal accident insurance.
Siam City
G1 Premium 6,100 medical expense per accident 200,000
S1 Premium 14,800 medical expense per accident 625,000

Both Age 18-65.

Thoughts on this one?20171009_150309.jpeg

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is the best cover I've found for personal accident insurance.
Siam City
G1 Premium 6,100 medical expense per accident 200,000
S1 Premium 14,800 medical expense per accident 625,000

Both Age 18-65.

Thoughts on this one?20171009_150309.jpeg

G1 OK only if you also have other insurance that can kick in when expenses exceed 200K. Otherwise go for G2 or Silver.

Looks good compared to other PA plans I have seen. too bad it does nto cover past age 65.

I note that this same company offers travel insurance for foreigners visiting Thailand.

I haven't personally had any experience with them though.

On 4/16/2018 at 6:16 AM, simoh1490 said:

There's a very famous Thai insurance company out there called Bangkok Insurance, this is not them, this is Bangkok Insurance Brokers. In fact, I can't find anything on the web on this company apart from a facebook page. Does anyone have any further information about this company because this is the first time I've ever heard of anything like this in Thailand in 16 years.

And for goodness sake, what does, loosely based on the successful Swiss healthcare system mean! Note also this product will launch, it hasn't yet launched hence it doesn't yet exist.

Anyone smell fish.

Yep, I can smell that smell all around me. 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:56 AM, meatboy said:

my 45minute test on Monday 25,000bht.out patient dep.CHEAP IS IT?

Depends what the test was, doesn't it?  What was it?  If you don't want to disclose that then your comment is meaningless.

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Which company, Nancy? I also have a high deductible major policy so might be interested in this.

It's through Bangkok Bank, but not their standard PA Senior 1st policy.  The Kad Suan Kaew branch in Chiang Mai has a different policy for people under age 80 with higher level of payout.  It also covers accidents while on a motorcycle.  After age 80, you have to move to the standard PA Senior 1st policy, that covers up to age 100, but excludes accidents on a motorcycle.  Frankly, should you be riding on a motorcycle after age 80?

Both have no deductible.

The special accident insurance policy that Bangkok Bank Kad Suan Kaew branch offers is through Bangkok Insurance, so you could probably get it by contacting  Bangkok Insurance directly.

On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 7:54 PM, NancyL said:

Just the other day, I had an idiocy attack in the kitchen and cut my finger badly with a knife.  I couldn't get the bleeding to stop.  It was nice to be able to walk to a hospital and have it stitched up and be back in my favorite neighborhood restaurant ordering, rather than attempting to cook my dinner within an hour.  No need to go to India!

I've pulled similar stunts in the U.S. and have to kiss off the rest of the evening waiting around a busy E/R because they do "triage" and a ton of paperwork.  

Normally Hubby doesn't let me use knives in the kitchen (he does the chopping), but he wasn't around that particular night.

Since we are "sharing"...  :biggrin:

1. When chopping down old bananas trees - here's a tip: don't hold the leaf up while swinging at it with the other hand holding a meat cleaver. Phuket International: 14 stitches (9 external, 5 internal): 7,245 baht. Would've been covered by the proposed BIB scheme.

2. Cellulitis infection in leg - possibly caused by over-friendly soi (mountain) dog licking my leg: 2 nights in BKK-Phuket, antibiotic drips every 6 hours + 5 days outpatient (they wanted me inpatient): about 80,000 baht. Would've been covered by proposed BIB scheme.

3. Already mentioned: kidney stone removal: about 200,000 baht. Would've been covered by proposed BIB scheme.

4. Not covered: cataract removal/lens replacement: 110,000 baht - 170,000 baht @BKK-Phuket. Mine: 140,000 baht. Best money I've ever spent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 10:44 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 4/30/2018 at 10:21 AM, 4MyEgo said:
Correct I also just rechecked the policy, so for those under 64 who join, they can continue with life time cover with David Shield, unfortunately for those over 64 who wish to join, they cannot.

Wording from the policy below: 

2.3.2 The maximum age for joining the Insurance is 64 years.

Did you agree on the pre-existing conditions covered? Or is it a case of a nervous wait if you make a claim

PLEASE READ #68 and continue from there, as I said I would provide you with an update.

It was about a month back when I applied for private health cover with David Shield, after applying I had to provide them with more up to date letters from my Cardiologist, Urologist and Khon Kaen Hospital for a day procedure that was carried out there last year.

My Cardiologist and Urologist provided me with letters that they sent to my doctor who refers me to them every two years upon my request just to keep things in check and that was enough, as for Khon Kaen Hospital, it is hospital policy that I saw the doctor who did the procedure and get a letter from him, which we did.

Log of the short, as my heart attack was 10 years ago and I had no issues since, David Shield applied an additional amount of $177.50US per annum to the policy, i.e. they did not exclude my pre-existing condition for the heart where I had a stent put in back in 2008, yep doing back flips to hear the news.

As for the other two pre-existing conditions, as they were under 5 year they excluded them which I don't mind, as trying to get my pre-existing cover for the heart covered was always a knock back by insurers, so $177.50US per annum addition premium payable is like laughing all the way to the bank for me, so all up I have cover in any private hospital in Thailand and 4 neighbouring countries, plus 90 days emergency cover worldwide for 90 days with a maximum cover of up to 1.2 mil US $

The cover for for elective surgery or emergency surgery, if you want any further details, PM me

That was posted on Facebook by the insurance broker working on it as an example of the letter those who showed interest should soon receive.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, jmd8800 said:

I picked up a flyer about accident insurance at Bangkok Bank, Kad Suan Keaw branch and in the fine print there was a remark: must be permanent resident or work permit. Did I pick up the wrong one?

I think by permanent resident, they mean here on a one year permission to stay, i.e. what most of us incorrectly call a "marriage visa" or "retirement visa"  or, of course a working with a work permit.  I know many, many people with one-year retirement extensions who have purchased (and utilized) the personal accident insurance from Bangkok Bank Kad Suan Kaew branch.

12 hours ago, NancyL said:

I think by permanent resident, they mean here on a one year permission to stay, i.e. what most of us incorrectly call a "marriage visa" or "retirement visa"  or, of course a working with a work permit.  I know many, many people with one-year retirement extensions who have purchased (and utilized) the personal accident insurance from Bangkok Bank Kad Suan Kaew branch.

Thanks for that info. Sometimes the terminology gets in the way.

I read somewhere in their postings that the expected monthly premium would be 3000 baht per month for 500,000 baht of coverage.  I guess if it's someone's only option that might be worthwhile. Anybody young or up to 60 or so can do much better than that so the price automatically means it will only attract older high risk members.  It still seems like such a small amount of coverage even at a government hospital.  (I guess all that has been pointed out earlier in the thread.....)

I registered on their site and received a email last night about it.

Edited quote of it follows.

· Dear

Our sincerest thanks from the management of Bangkok Insurance Brokers for supporting this project.
Your name (deleted) has been added to the list of persons interested in joining this group health policy.
There is no need to submit your name again.
Whenever there is any significant news, detailed updates to the group policy will be added to our website:
http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/affordable-health-insurance-for-anyone-in-thailand/news-and-updates/

Your name is now on our VIP customer list.
Our staff will be emailing you an invitation to join the health insurance group as soon as the policy has been approved by the Insurance Commission.
Following this email; on average once-a-month, our staff will email important insurance news and interesting information regarding insurance matters.
Our company philosophy is to keep customers informed and up-to-date because this helps to reduce the number of misunderstandings and complaints.

The positive response from this project confirms that there is a need and desire for an affordable health insurance by foreigners living and working in Thailand.
Management of Bangkok Insurance Brokers Company (BIB) are in negotiations with several non-life insurance companies.
We are doing the best to include as many as possible in the group policy and plan to invite you to join the group within a month.

Thailand currently has 62 non-life insurance companies (see list from the Insurance Commission)
http://www.oic.or.th/th/consumer/insurance/companies/non-life/list
Bangkok Insurance Brokers Company cooperates with 17 Thai-registered non-life insurance companies.
Be aware, not all Thai insurance companies are in good financial shape, some are struggling with their cash-flow.
We know which companies to trust and offer good after-sales service.

If you need a professional review and advice on your current insurance policies, kindly send a copy of your policy to the email address below:
[email protected]

(deleted advert)

If you have any questions, please do not reply to this email address.............send your email to:[email protected]

Sincerely,

Management, Bangkok Insurance Brokers Company.

Archived