Affordable health insurance for anyone in Thailand

JetsetBkk

9 hours ago, ricklev said:

<snip>

It still seems like such a small amount of coverage even at a government hospital.  (I guess all that has been pointed out earlier in the thread.....)

From my previous post:

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 2:10 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Since we are "sharing"...  :biggrin:

1. When chopping down old bananas trees - here's a tip: don't hold the leaf up while swinging at it with the other hand holding a meat cleaver. Phuket International: 14 stitches (9 external, 5 internal): 7,245 baht. Would've been covered by the proposed BIB scheme.

2. Cellulitis infection in leg - possibly caused by over-friendly soi (mountain) dog licking my leg: 2 nights in BKK-Phuket, antibiotic drips every 6 hours + 5 days outpatient (they wanted me inpatient): about 80,000 baht.  Would've been covered by proposed BIB scheme.

3. Already mentioned: kidney stone removal: about 200,000 baht. Would've been covered by proposed BIB scheme.

<snip>

Depends also if you like government hospitals. I must admit I don't like hospital food - even at Bangkok Phuket. But they do have an al-la-carte menu with some sort-of farang food, and TV, and Wifi, and hot and cold running nurses. I've no idea what rooms are like in government hospitals but have been assured that their equipment is as good as private hospitals.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

....I've no idea what rooms are like in government hospitals but have been assured that their equipment is as good as private hospitals.

It very much depends on the hospital and its level.

Huge difference between the major teaching/tertiary care  hospitals, provincial and district level hospitals.

Also differences by hospital even among those at the same level of care, especially in rural areas - some provincial hospitals are air conditioned with new/fairly new physical infrastructure, some are in buildings virtually falling apart and no a/c.  Some hospitals fit both descriptions depending on the section you are in.

Generally speaking district level hospitals are best avoided except for very minor outpatient things, though there are a few hospitals that are unusually well equipped at that level. Provincial hospitals, vary greatly by provinces. Tertiary level hospitals are usually quite good in terms of quality of care. At all levels of government hospital creature comforts are limited (if any) on the wards, which tend to be quite overcrowded. Government hospitals have, for a fairly low additional price, private/semi-private rooms that are more comfortable but sometimes these are all full/unavailable.

Strongly advised to have a caretaker stay with you in a government hospital unless you are in ICU in which case not allowed.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It very much depends on the hospital and its level.

Huge difference between the major teaching/tertiary care  hospitals, provincial and district level hospitals.

<snip>

Yes, sorry, I forgot this topic is not in the Phuket forum, as I was really talking about Phuket hospitals. I have been up-country and seen the hospitals there and you're right. I also noticed in one ward of one hospital that the carer slept under the bed of the patient.

Yep, very common (the caretaker under the bed).

I am afraid he situation for government hospitals in Phuket is not very good. (The private hospital situation also leaves much to be desired, to be honest). 

Vachira is the provincial hospital but it is only a provincial level facility and while not the best of  such it is also not the worst. The physical infrastructure (building etc) is old.

The other 2 government hospitals, Patoing and Thalang, are small and would be suited only for minor problems, anything major you should head straight to Vachira.

The closest tertiary level facility to Phuket is in Surrathani. The best one in that part of the country is in Nakhon Si Thammarat, so you are looking in either case at 3-4 hour trip to reach a tertiary level facility.

http://www.mnst.go.th/th/index.php

• 2 months later...

What about accident insurance that would cover someone over 65 who drives a motorbike. The insurance I am contemplating with Bangkok Bank  would only cover me on a motorcycle until I am 65. 

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 4:19 PM, GarryP said:

What about accident insurance that would cover someone over 65 who drives a motorbike. The insurance I am contemplating with Bangkok Bank  would only cover me on a motorcycle until I am 65. 

Try Allianz General Insurance PCL or Bangkok Insurance PCL:

http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/insurance-companies/

More info re. motorcycle insurance:

1. Chubb Insurance offers renewal to age 70 years.
  2. Allianz Insurance offers renewal to age 80 years.
  3. Bangkok Insurance offers renewal to age 100 years.

http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/insurance-solutions/personal-accident-insurance/recommended-personal-accident-insurances/

• 1 month later...

From Bangkok Insurance Brokers (Sept. 10th):

We are accepting applications for group membership.
The policy is going to be issued by Thai Health Insurance PCL.
Applications are accepted from individuals including the age of 70 years.
Be aware that this insurance cover stops when you reach the age of 71 years.
Before renewal of the policy next year, management will negotiate with additional insurance companies to cooperate in underwriting this group policy.
We plan to increase the age limit next year, to 75 years or more.

SUMMARY OF BENEFITS    
Health Insurance Coverage Maximum Payable per Disability/Time/Year Baht 400,000 800,000
IN-PATIENT HOSPITAL COVER (IPD)    
-Room and Board, Including Nursing Care (Max. per disability/time) 240,000 240,000
MAJOR MEDICAL COVER    
Maximum payable per Disability/time/year   400,000
(Pays 90% of the eligible expenses in excess of the deductibles    
Deductible which is covered under IPD benefits 0 50,000
Room & Board, including Nursing care (Max. per day, starts on day 61)   4,000
PERSONAL ACCIDENT COVER (PA 2)    
Accident Death, Dismemberment, and Total Permanent Disability 100,000 100,000
EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE    
Emergency Medical Evacuation (USD not Thai Baht) 1,000,000 1,000,000

Annual premium per person (incl. Stamp duty + Tax) 15 days old to 50 years 17,582 24,405
Annual premium per person (incl. Stamp duty + Tax) 51-60 years 21,218 29,504
Annual premium per person (incl. Stamp duty + Tax) 61-70 years 27,885 38,851

Details of cover on our website page: http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/affordable-health-insurance-for-anyone-in-thailand/

Details of how to apply for this insurance on our website page: http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/affordable-health-insurance-for-anyone-in-thailand/how-to-apply-for-this-insurance/

To speed up the process of your application:

1. Download and print the application form.
  2. Complete the application as best you can.
  3. Sign the application form.
  4. Scan and email the application form and ID/passport to Bangkok Insurance Brokers.
  5. If you are located in Bangkok or north of Bangkok, email to: [email protected]
  6. If you are located south of Bangkok, email to: [email protected]
  7. Send by REGISTERED POST, the original application form and copies of ID/passport to Bangkok Insurance Brokers Company, P. O. Box 204, Phuket Post Office, PHUKET 83000

Premium payment follows after your application is accepted. Premium payment can be made by bank transfer to the Bangkok Insurance Brokers account at Krungsri Ayudhya bank. Details will be sent by email to applicants that have completed the underwriting process.

Sincerely,

Management of Bangkok Insurance Brokers Co.

From Bangkok Insurance Brokers (Sept. 10th):

We are accepting applications for group membership.

The policy is going to be issued by Thai Health Insurance PCL.

Applications are accepted from individuals including the age of 70 years.

Be aware that this insurance cover stops when you reach the age of 71 years.

Before renewal of the policy next year, management will negotiate with additional insurance companies to cooperate in underwriting this group policy.

We plan to increase the age limit next year, to 75 years or more.

SUMMARY OF BENEFITS    
Health Insurance Coverage Maximum Payable per Disability/Time/Year Baht 400,000 800,000
IN-PATIENT HOSPITAL COVER (IPD)    
-Room and Board, Including Nursing Care (Max. per disability/time) 240,000 240,000
MAJOR MEDICAL COVER    
Maximum payable per Disability/time/year   400,000
(Pays 90% of the eligible expenses in excess of the deductibles    
Deductible which is covered under IPD benefits 0 50,000
Room & Board, including Nursing care (Max. per day, starts on day 61)   4,000
PERSONAL ACCIDENT COVER (PA 2)    
Accident Death, Dismemberment, and Total Permanent Disability 100,000 100,000
EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE    
Emergency Medical Evacuation (USD not Thai Baht) 1,000,000 1,000,000

Annual premium per person (incl. Stamp duty + Tax) 15 days old to 50 years 17,582 24,405
Annual premium per person (incl. Stamp duty + Tax) 51-60 years 21,218 29,504
Annual premium per person (incl. Stamp duty + Tax) 61-70 years 27,885 38,851

Details of cover on our website page: http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/affordable-health-insurance-for-anyone-in-thailand/

Details of how to apply for this insurance on our website page: http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/affordable-health-insurance-for-anyone-in-thailand/how-to-apply-for-this-insurance/

To speed up the process of your application:

1. Download and print the application form.
  2. Complete the application as best you can.
  3. Sign the application form.
  4. Scan and email the application form and ID/passport to Bangkok Insurance Brokers.
  5. If you are located in Bangkok or north of Bangkok, email to: [email protected]
  6. If you are located south of Bangkok, email to: [email protected]
  7. Send by REGISTERED POST, the original application form and copies of ID/passport to Bangkok Insurance Brokers Company, P. O. Box 204, Phuket Post Office, PHUKET 83000

Premium payment follows after your application is accepted. Premium payment can be made by bank transfer to the Bangkok Insurance Brokers account at Krungsri Ayudhya bank. Details will be sent by email to applicants that have completed the underwriting process.

Sincerely,

Management of Bangkok Insurance Brokers Co.

Did you take this out? What did you supply for pre-existing conditions? Any extra tests requested?

Maybe I'm missing something, but the coverage seems very low for the offered price for people under 60.  I pay 25,000 at 58 years old for 5,000,000 baht coverage with a 10,000 baht deductible with Dhipaya.  Hard to see why anyone would want to pay 22,000 for significantly lower benefits. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but the coverage seems very low for the offered price for people under 60.  I pay 25,000 at 58 years old for 5,000,000 baht coverage with a 10,000 baht deductible with Dhipaya.  Hard to see why anyone would want to pay 22,000 for significantly lower benefits. 
According to their website they only have 1 hospital and 1 clinic, plus don't list the Pattaya Suk branch? How did you get your quote?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, ricklev said:

According to their website they only have 1 hospital and 1 clinic, plus don't list the Pattaya Suk branch? How did you get your quote?

A couple of years ago they created an expat policy and were promoting it on various expat Facebook groups.  Not sure if they still are.  Here is the guy I deal with: [email protected]  

02-239-2200 ext. 2329

13 hours ago, ricklev said:

I don't have a dog in this fight - I'm just passing on information.

I just had a look at Dhipaya web site and it's not easy to glean information - even the "English" pages are in Thai.

But if you've got 5mil coverage for 25,000 baht, that's great. This scheme by BIB covers people up to age 70 currently. They are hoping to increase it to 75 soon. I don't know what the max joining age is for Dhipaya.

28 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I don't have a dog in this fight - I'm just passing on information.

I just had a look at Dhipaya web site and it's not easy to glean information - even the "English" pages are in Thai.

But if you've got 5mil coverage for 25,000 baht, that's great. This scheme by BIB covers people up to age 70 currently. They are hoping to increase it to 75 soon. I don't know what the max joining age is for Dhipaya.

Dhipaya won't cover me over age 60 so I'll have to do something else soon.  Pacific Cross also offers 5,000,000 in coverage for around 38K at my current age but the deductible is 40,000.  10,000,000 baht coverage was around 46,000 I think.  The coverage is a little better then Dhipaya though.  They said that it's lifetime coverage if you enroll before age 76, but there is no guarantee of the price.

It may be that the limited coverage for older folks from Thai Health and BIB is a good deal, I don't know,  Just pointing out that under 60 it doesn't seem to make sense.

It does make sense to me, already signed in. Premium 29k a year, not bad as a "safety net" the day BUPA and the likes will give us a kick in the ..... after a big claim or a chronical illness appears!

Please read carefully the website. http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/health-insurance/how-we-can-influence-the-future-of-health-insurance/

The idea is that the group of "younger members" (husband and me 52 y.o. belong to this group) fund the old ones and keep our premiums low until we will need it.

The more we are, the less the premium. 

Just go to Phuket and pay a visit to Eric (I did) and ask all questions you have. 

1 hour ago, snowballthecat said:

It does make sense to me, already signed in. Premium 29k a year, not bad as a "safety net" the day BUPA and the likes will give us a kick in the ..... after a big claim or a chronical illness appears!

Please read carefully the website. http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/health-insurance/how-we-can-influence-the-future-of-health-insurance/

The idea is that the group of "younger members" (husband and me 52 y.o. belong to this group) fund the old ones and keep our premiums low until we will need it.

The more we are, the less the premium. 

Just go to Phuket and pay a visit to Eric (I did) and ask all questions you have. 

Snowballthecat, First of all what you are buying is piece of mind and you have found that with this policy.  So please just ignore the rest of my post.  I'm not looking to argue! 

"The idea is that the group of "younger members" (husband and me 52 y.o. belong to this group) fund the old ones and keep our premiums low until we will need it."

That is certainly how single payer government health care works and it makes sense, which is my most of the world but my lunatic country (USA) has adopted it. 

Hard to get how that concept plays out in a free market capitalist insurance system where young folks are not required to join the scheme. 

From your message though I understand that you feel you are buying not just coverage today, but the benefit of some sort of guarantee that you will be able to pay and be covered in the future as you age and that is the part I don't understand.  I'm not saying you are wrong, not at all, just that I don't understand.

Maybe it's because I don't know the contractual terms of the group health policy Thai Health has offered to the broker. I'm sure though that if they lose money they can increase rates or not renew the group policy.  How could they agree otherwise as a for profit company. 

On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 8:53 PM, ricklev said:

Dhipaya won't cover me over age 60 so I'll have to do something else soon.  Pacific Cross also offers 5,000,000 in coverage for around 38K at my current age but the deductible is 40,000.  10,000,000 baht coverage was around 46,000 I think.  The coverage is a little better then Dhipaya though.  They said that it's lifetime coverage if you enroll before age 76, but there is no guarantee of the price.

It may be that the limited coverage for older folks from Thai Health and BIB is a good deal, I don't know,  Just pointing out that under 60 it doesn't seem to make sense.

You're right in that this scheme was started with older people (>60) in mind as many schemes don't cover >60 years and, even it they do, you have to join when you are less than 60.

A friend of mine joined BUPA many years ago and finally got some reward by having a multiple hernia operation, but reckons he's still out of pocket if you add up all the premiums he paid for "no reason" (other than peace of mind, of course) compared to the actual cost of the operation and follow-up.

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, JetsetBkk said:

You're right in that this scheme was started with older people (>60) in mind as many schemes don't cover >60 years and, even it they do, you have to join when you are less than 60.

A friend of mine joined BUPA many years ago and finally got some reward by having a multiple hernia operation, but reckons he's still out of pocket if you add up all the premiums he paid for "no reason" (other than peace of mind, of course) compared to the actual cost of the operation and follow-up.

Hi, did any of you find out more, or any tips on up to date health insurance please.

Archived