Who Ate All The Pies?

As our forum has an international flavour who do we think makes the best pies in the world - sweet or savoury? I go for :

The Scottish Steak and Sausage Pie with Puff Pastry a big Ayrshire favourite at Xmas - closley followed by the Aussie Floater - The best sweet is New York Cheescake.

My wife occasionalty makes Thai Curry Pies which I eat to keep the peace. Pukka Pies in Leicester now make Balti Pies.

Any Thoughts.

Without a shred of humility, I announce that I yes, TT of Isaan, makes the world's BEST raspberry pie, with fresh flakey crust and mountains of whipped cream topping. (Now just find me an oven and fresh raspberries in Isaan....)

P.S. and Later Edit:

Excuse, me, I thought this was a REAL pie thread. In restrospect, I believe I have stumbled upon an Aussie/Pommie thread promoting dead animal organs & carcasses wrapped in thick death shrouds of some kind of flour-water material. :o

Edited by toptuan

Apple pie with granny smiths, cooked with cloves, and baked with a hint of cinnamon, covered in puff pastry and coupled with a huge scoop of haagendaas..................My missus does it occasionally :D

Your missus open to the "mia nawy" concept? :o

My nomination is a traditional english pork pie.

Now, I know a lot of English pork pies can be quite crummy. However, when they're done really well and washed down with a good pint of beer, they can't be beat.

For the absolute creme de la menthe of British Pork Pies go to Bow Lane in the City of London and on the corner there is a butcher who sells the best pork pies I've tasted anywhere else in the world. And don't just take my word for it. I saw famous British chef Gordon Ramsay ordering food there.

Lucky

believe it or not, they got great pies in Bolivia...they're called saltenas (from the northern argentine province ob Salta) and are magnificent...meat, potatoes, boiled eggs inna succulent crust an' just spicy enough...hook two ob dem down wid yer beer before stumblin' off to Sunday Mass, den take home a half dozen to eat fer supper after drinkin' all day...just right...

'what is the appeal ob meat pies?', coats yer gullet when yer out onna piss... :o

For the absolute creme de la menthe of British Pork Pies

Surely you mean creme de la creme? Creme de menthe is a rather sickly sweet mint liqueur - unless that's what you put in your pies, in which case you are a very sick man :o

sorry, bit of an inside joke. "creme de la menthe" is a Trotterism (and therefore particularly appropriate here).

a Trotterism is a quote from Del Trotter, star of the British comedy series Only Fools & Horses. Among other hilarious lines, Del frequently misuses French expressions e.g. creme de la menthe when he means creme de la creme :D

ive been around a bit and i love pies!!! from my own experience:

best pork pie, melton mowbray,leicestireshire

best scotch pie,dumfries, scotland(just the right amount of grease)

best steak and kidney,me mam :D

best steak and cheese, jimmys pies ,roxburgh south island nz.(nz pies much nicer than in oz)

personal favourite,hollands steak and kidney pudding steamed all day in a lancashire chippy with chips gravy an mushy peas(fat boys portions pleas :o )

My Grandma used to make the best meat and potato pies the world has ever seen.

Got any recipes to share, Endure?

yeah...did she cook everything together or separately then mix together in the crust? gotta remember that most beef in Thailand is tough and needs thorough braising...never seen no lamb nowhere...

If we're talking mass produced pies, rather than a specialty shop, Villi's of Adelaide stands supreme.

agree with you 100% and Villi is a very much hands on manager.

I was fortunate enough to be raised in the Mecca of Pies (Wigan) home of the lancashire Kebab(a meat pie in a bun with a lettuce leaf),but as usual I digress, the much maligned aussie meat pie shows some great examples :o forget your Sydney Pie Floater which contain genuine L.s and A,s and lots of artificial flavouring , But here in gods country we have without a doubt the best pies anywhere, In Inala a vietnamese Bakers are famous for their award winning meat pies, the gold coast and sunshine coast are well known for their Pie Bakers and Pie shops, as a well known whinger about all things australian :D credit were credit is due, nothing tastes better than a Qld meat pie, especially if it is being consumed while watching the Bronco,s humiliate some wannabee rugby team from Sydney!! :jap:Nignoy

PS have attached a black and white of early 20 century piemakers on holiday in Thailand!!

post-11182-1169931619_thumb.jpg

My Grandma used to make the best meat and potato pies the world has ever seen.

Got any recipes to share, Endure?

I'd ask her but she's long gone I'm afraid. The one thing I do remember was that they were baked on an enamelled plate rather than in a baking dish.

For the absolute creme de la menthe of British Pork Pies

Surely you mean creme de la creme? Creme de menthe is a rather sickly sweet mint liqueur - unless that's what you put in your pies, in which case you are a very sick man :o

sorry, bit of an inside joke. "creme de la menthe" is a Trotterism (and therefore particularly appropriate here).

a Trotterism is a quote from Del Trotter, star of the British comedy series Only Fools & Horses. Among other hilarious lines, Del frequently misuses French expressions e.g. creme de la menthe when he means creme de la creme :D

Aah - got you...

Chateauneuf du Pape, Rodders! :D

The "Sydney pie floater" this goumet meal started life in Adelaide my friend, I wasn't aware they had them in silly Sydney.
Sorry to burst your bubble mate :o but the pie floater started its life in the Pie and mash shops of east london in the 1890,s :D Nignoy

The "Sydney pie floater" this goumet meal started life in Adelaide my friend, I wasn't aware they had them in silly Sydney.
Sorry to burst your bubble mate :o but the pie floater started its life in the Pie and mash shops of east london in the 1890,s :D Nignoy

The aboriginees used to sellem on the banks of the torrens creek in the early 1400's for an emu a piece

The aboriginees used to sellem on the banks of the torrens creek in the early 1400's for an emu a piece

I challenge anyone to prove that potatoes, carrots an' wheat flour for pastry were available in Austrailya in the 15 century, the Spanish pirates didn't 'discover' potatoes until the 16th...the emus were probly an early ingredient...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

personal favourite,hollands steak and kidney pudding steamed all day in a lancashire chippy with chips gravy an mushy peas(fat boys portions pleas :o )

Thats about the only thing I miss from England.!!

Walking home from the pub, stopping off at the 'chippy' and ordering chips, mushy peas, steak and kidney pudding AND a meat and potatoe pie (Hollands of course) with Gravy...............Anyone not from the North West of England will not have a clue what I am going on about :D

I challenge anyone to prove that potatoes, carrots an' wheat flour for pastry were available in Austrailya in the 15 century, the Spanish pirates didn't 'discover' potatoes until the 16th...the emus were probly an early ingredient...

Tutsi, me old mate, he is indulging in an aussie tradition as old as the pie floater--- "taking the piss"

As for the floater, I'm not sure about the old dart, but the pie floater he is referring to is a normal meat pie immersed in a mushy pea soup. The legend has always been that they originated in adelaide and I can remember as a young kid in the '80s hitting the pie cart at 2am after spending all night roller-skating and playing pin-ball in "downtown" on hindley street. DELICIOUS!!!

As for the debate about best pie--- Hands down another adelaide pie, Villis. Anyone interested should check out the frozen food section of the growers market in paragon. I spotted them the other week and ended up with a freezer full of the yummy little bastards. Thai missus can't get her head around it though, was perplexed at the huge amount of tomato sauce i lashed onto it. All I need now is a game of footy to watch with it and it will be just like home

I'm gonna haveta investigate these pies that you guys are talkin' about...back in da states we had chicken pot pies...real cheap, pop two into the toaster oven an' bob's yer uncle...gonna haveta get 'ol Ms gorgon involved with a slow cooker method for preparation...

locally available good pastry flour does come to mind, though...thaigerd, any suggestions?