Disgruntled emcee quits junta show

webfact

Disgruntled emcee quits junta show

By PAWARAN CITES ‘WORKING ATTITUDES’ FOR EXIT

WASAMON AUDJARINT THE NATION

69b2a7df10304e23244f85bece5d58a6.jpeg

AN EMCEE of a junta-run famous TV programme said her resignation from the programme was due to “different working attitudes” while the junta government denied any involvement with the production.

Pawaran Bannarak announced her decision to quit “Thailand Moves Forward Teenage Edition” on Saturday. “Because I love being an emcee so much, I can’t afford to make a half-hearted effort so I decided to resign,” Pawaran said on her Facebook account.

“The programme will continue. Everything will be the same except a female host. I would like to give courage to whoever is going to take my place,” she added.

Her sudden exit brought the 28-year-old former emcee support and criticism for the weekly programme run by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO). While the formal, half-hour version of “Thailand Moves Forward” has been aired every evening on every TV broadcasting channel, its 15-minute version for teenagers was launched in late February with the goal of promoting governmental work among younger audiences.

Known for being keen on PR, though in what some consider an “old-fashioned” way, PM General Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered a revamp of “Thailand Moves Forward” once in 2016 after its ratings slumped. Its teenage edition could also be considered part of the revamp and the “modernising” of the programme.

Despite all efforts, “Thailand Moves Forward Teenage Edition” has been widely mocked for seemingly going against everything that the young generation likes – from production, costumes, stylists and emcee scripts.

“They look like production for 1990s teenagers, not 2018,” one comment said. “I understand that the emcees did their best but the programme’s mood and tone is wrong at all levels.”

e577f2109695237fc430e7736fa95318.jpeg

Pawaran said later yesterday that she was not blaming anyone for her resignation, including the production team. “My disappointment is also partly because of my own expectations that may not align with those of the team. Please don’t view me as being disrespectful to them,” she said.

She also reiterated that her payment – a meagre Bt2,910 – to host an episode of a programme with a multi-million-baht budget was not the reason why she wanted to leave.

The programme’s budget has been set as Bt18 million with six contracts with private production companies, each worth Bt2.66 to Bt3.33 million, and Bt500,000 to hire a sign language interpreter.

Government Spokesperson Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said that Pawaran’s exit should not affect the junta directly as the NCPO only provides content guidelines to the production team.

“Broadcasters take turns to be in charge of the programme’s production and the NCPO doesn’t take part in that. Therefore, her resignation has nothing to do with us,” said Sansern, who is now also heading the Government Public Relations Department.

NCPO spokesperson Colonel Winthai Suvaree added that Pawaran’s decision to resign should be seen as related to production management and not its content.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30343232

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-16

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

Despite all efforts, “Thailand Moves Forward Teenage Edition” has been widely mocked for seemingly going against everything that the young generation likes – from production, costumes, stylists and emcee scripts.

Hmm...

You mean that the kids these days aren't into a group of old men in green uniforms issuing endless orders and 'rules' telling them how and what to do?

Shocking news...

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“They look like production for 1990s teenagers, not 2018,” one comment said. “I understand that the emcees did their best but the programme’s mood and tone is wrong at all levels.”

part of the overall effort to dumb thais down

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hmm...

You mean that the kids these days aren't into a group of old men in green uniforms issuing endless orders and 'rules' telling them how and what to do?

Shocking news...

Well that's the trouble. All these damn kids want to do these days is listen to those dreadful pop music stereo cassettes and wear one of those ugly 'Sid Viscous' Tshirts. And the hairstyles! I mean what is wrong with a nice side parting? They were fine for us and we were just as fab and groovy as they think they are...

images.jpeg

3 hours ago, webfact said:

She also reiterated that her payment – a meagre Bt2,910 – to host an episode of a programme with a multi-million-baht budget was not the reason why she wanted to leave.

Sure she had thousands of reasons, but this one is hysterical.  Abhisit was just going on about how the junta has wasted gawd awful amounts on "reform" and has accomplished nothing other than upsetting people, or "keeping them safe" from freedom.  You would think that some of this money would go to those who prop up their propaganda machine.  It does seem that the junta does not spend the tax payers money all that wisely. 

I would suggest all the reasons she gave that did not influence her decision to leave are in fact the reasons she did.

I believe her new role includes reciting catchy phrases like "would you like fries with that"

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Certainly would be mine. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Personally I think Thailand is about 30-40  years behind the west in most things, so that seems about right.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Reminds me of The Young Ones   Tv series

Archived