SEVEN MONTHS Smoke-Free!!!

Samui Bodoh

Hi All

As per the title, I have now reached SEVEN months smoke-free; HOORAY for me!

(Er... sorry, but I am proud of myself...)

What's my story? The short version is that I was a smoker for about 35 years, but now I am in the process of stopping; if anyone wants a more complete version, see the OP in the thread SIX MONTHS Smoke Free!!! (I wrote 10-15 paragraphs there, not going to write it again.)

I know that there are many others who are trying to quit; how's everyone doing? I am not going to name names as I deeply appreciate the anonymity of being able to discuss this issue, but you know who you are! How's it going?

If you are currently a smoker and thinking of stopping (and by reading this, you are), please drop a word or two. There is some great wisdom here (from others!) and they are willing to help.

There is no good reason to be a smoker. Anyone care to debate that sentence?

Happy Smoke-Free Songkran!

same as my story, stopping was pretty easy once i could no longer breath,

it was the incentive that was required to do it.

i used snus/snuff over the transition, and drank only water since

anything else trigger smoke cravings

I stopped smoking many years ago. 

Part of the technique was to go on my journey quietly. The reasoning is that after you tell people that you have stopped. you immediately have a feeling of panic, that you cannot smoke for fear of failure. This fear eventually causes you to fail. 

I prefer to use the concept of just for this moment, I will enjoy not smoking. I don't think about tomorrow. I have to say my life has been great since I started my wonderful journey. 

27 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Part of the technique was to go on my journey quietly. The reasoning is that after you tell people that you have stopped. you immediately have a feeling of panic, that you cannot smoke for fear of failure. This fear eventually causes you to fail. 

I prefer to use the concept of just for this moment, I will enjoy not smoking. I don't think about tomorrow. I have to say my life has been great since I started my wonderful journey. 

Your "problem" works two ways for some the accountability helps for others like you it works against them. 

55 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Interesting post, but I don't completely agree.

For what it's worth, in real life I never say a single word about quitting; if someone notices it I say "yes, trying to quit" and rapidly change the subject. However, that is my approach and I really hesitate to advocate any single solution; I think the goal is to quit and whatever method is effective for you is good. If you feel the best way for you to quit is to scream from rooftops, then go for it!

I do make an exception to my views above here on TVF; clearly I am willing to talk about it. In my particular case, I deeply appreciate the help and support already given (see threads four/five/six months smoke free) and feel that it has been a definite contributing factor in my success to date (thanks again, all!). The reason that I am willing to discuss the matter here is that I have anonymity, and that is why I do not name names (even user names) in my posts; it is that ability to talk about it privately/anonynimously which I find helpful.

Finally, after numerous discussions here, I have learned that there are several methods/paths to stopping and I would encourage people to use what is good for them. Personally, I knew that going 'Cold Turkey' was the only possible way in my case, but others have reduced their daily smokes slowly down to zero, some have used drugs to help, still others have used hypnosis. Whatever works is good; the method is far, far less important than the goal.

"...I have to say my life has been great since I started my wonderful journey...."

I agree 100%, well-said and Amen!

Cheers and good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

15 months now, it's great to come on here and see other people succeed too

May we all remain nicotine free forever

But I never forget I am only free today, I see movies where people are smoking and it pisses me off that I can't do it anymore...but it will kill me so I just have to put up with it...as we all do

I'm a lifer I must admit, and I'm not so bothered about it, as it doesn't seem to have impaired me.  I gave up for about 6 or 7 years ago but truly felt something enjoyable was missing.  Given the choice I'd vape, but you know dark age Thailand!  

Each to his own I guess.

3 hours ago, fanjita said:

I'm going to give it a go and decided that I don't want a vape either as seems like prolonging the agony.

Not much opportunity in Thailand, is there?  Vaping is the best of both worlds imo.

On 19/04/2018 at 6:55 PM, The manic said:

Well done. 11 years for me.I used hypnosis and guided meditation. Harnessed the power of my unconscious mind. I was on 60 a day plus. One of my affirmations was : "Smoking is bad for my body but I need my body to live".

Yep, hypnotherapy worked for me - never would have believed it,

14 years.

Best £250 I have ever spent.

(well apart from the Brazilian girl in......... but that’s another story).

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Not much opportunity in Thailand, is there?  Vaping is the best of both worlds imo.

Vaping isn’t giving up though, is it?

IMO vaping is akin to suckling on a dummy when your mother’s tit has dried up.....

Changing long-standing habits is what it is about.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Vaping isn’t giving up though, is it?

IMO vaping is akin to suckling on a dummy when your the tit has dried up.....

Changing long-standing habits is what it is about.

They're really good.  Maybe you had a duff experience with a poorly set up pen.

Well, for me.. Why give up something you enjoy if it has been made safe?.  Ok, nicotine is a bit dangerous, but nothing that a good diet, moderation and a bit of exercise can't counter-act. Why is giving up necessary then?

I must admit I got to the stage with alcohol where I started to hate it, so  it was easy to pack in.  So, if you feel like that with smoking then fair enough.  

Each to their own?

17 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

They're really good.  Maybe you had a duff experience with a poorly set up pen.

Well, for me.. Why give up something you enjoy if it has been made safe?.  Ok, nicotine is a bit dangerous, but nothing that a good diet, moderation and a bit of exercise can't counter-act. Why is giving up necessary then?

I must admit I got to the stage with alcohol where I started to hate it, so  it was easy to pack in.  So, if you feel like that with smoking then fair enough.  

Each to their own?

Never had the need to use one. I know you have a sense of humour ?

2133AF28-865F-4875-BBF9-305514A9CA46.png

18 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Saw a Thai guy vaping yesterday at his market stall which is a first.  Also got pulled over on the motorbike by a very friendly policeman and was on my way in no time.

21 hours ago, fanjita said:

I'm going to give it a go and decided that I don't want a vape either as seems like prolonging the agony.

Great news!

I can guarantee that you will find support on here for quitting; I sure have and it has been helpful.

And damn! You will feel better.

If you want to see my story, look at the thread Six Months....

I have gotten into the habit of starting a new thread each month; a new one will be coming in a few days. If you have questions or comments, there are some really nice people here who can offer great tips.

Good luck!

PS a good way to get started is to pick a day, then the night before toss out all your excess smokes, clean out the ashtrays and put them away, then wake up and give it a go.

3 minutes ago, fanjita said:

Gave up in my 20s and went back closer to 30 and nearly 50 now.  Doing me in, obviously.

Damn! I hear that! That is what got me as well. I am a bicyclist and got tired and to be honest a little scared about the lack of breath and what my heart might look like.

For what it is worth, I can tell you that I am a few days short of 8 months, and I DO notice a difference. Breath is better, lung capacity seems better, The pecker seems to stand a tad taller! General energy levels are better. And...

The single most important thing is that I do not factor in whether or not I have enough cigarettes for every activity/thing that I do. THAT is the monkey on the back.

If you have quit before, then I won't try to suggest stuff. Pick your time and day, smoke your last one, then,,,

Giddyup!

19 minutes ago, fanjita said:

Gave up in my 20s and went back closer to 30 and nearly 50 now.  Doing me in, obviously.

Good grief!  It's excess that will kill you.  I mean, what else do you do to the point of extinction?  40 is like being gassed alive!

1 hour ago, fanjita said:

Saw a Thai guy vaping yesterday at his market stall which is a first.  Also got pulled over on the motorbike by a very friendly policeman and was on my way in no time.

Yes, I think most people, including coppers, realise it's a crazy law, but you could just as easily been arrested- it does happen!

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

Yes, I think most people, including coppers, realise it's a crazy law, but you could just as easily been arrested- it does happen!

It was only a tea money exercise and nothing to do with vaping.  The wife wasn't happy and stated 'they won't get anything out of me'.  But the BiB was genuinely nice to me.  

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Good grief!  It's excess that will kill you.  I mean, what else do you do to the point of extinction?  40 is like being gassed alive!

Agreed.  Can't carry on like this.  It really is doing me in.

29 minutes ago, fanjita said:

Started at 14 yrs old. In the 70s I was working for the US Military in Germany where 200 fags was $2. Was on 60 a day minimum. Stopped on 24th October 1972 after thinking I was going to die soon. Never smoked tobacco since.

Archived