SEVEN MONTHS Smoke-Free!!!

Samui Bodoh

43 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Started at 14 yrs old. In the 70s I was working for the US Military in Germany where 200 fags was $2. Was on 60 a day minimum. Stopped on 24th October 1972 after thinking I was going to die soon. Never smoked tobacco since.

Have you ever missed it?

Just now, mommysboy said:

If we were in Blighty, I'd march you down to the local vape shop.  Life saver.

Thanks for your concern, MB, and I mean that genuinely, but I'm seriously considering avoiding the middle man.  

2 minutes ago, fanjita said:

Thanks for your concern, MB, and I mean that genuinely, but I'm seriously considering avoiding the middle man.  

I agree.

I don't really know about vaping; never tried it.

That said, if you are going to quit, then quit.

Cheers

When I did give up, it was surprisingly simple, in that you just say I am not going to smoke today.  And of course if you don't have any in the house the temptation is removed.  It's also a big advantage to be around non smokers or work in non-smoking environments. A bag of mints can go a long way to helping.

But there was a bigger incentive, or so I thought, because I was having terrible sinus issues and then suffered one of those awful coughs.  It transpired that it was in fact the air pollution, but also I was much stronger down the gym and on the treadmill, and people said I looked healthier.  So I didn't go back to smoking.

For me, as I have said, I just think now- why do I have to when there is vaping ? (err....or would do if not in Thailand...honest officer).

• 5 weeks later...

Well done. Its a start. I used hypnotherapy.  Haven't smoked for over a decade. Once  quit using hypnotherapy I had no desire to smoke, did not use gum or patches.  A guillotine came down on my rabbit. Tobacco is a crap drug and very deceptive.  However, it is not really addictive or pleasurable..it just lies to you and pretends to be both. See through the life and give up.

I gave up in March 2017.

One of the reasons I gave up was because my only other mate who smoked gave up 8 months before I did and I was pissed that he could do it and I couldn't. I had so many many reasons to stop but just couldn't. But a serious chest infection (bronchitis) plus the fact my mate was still not smoking helped me decide that enough was enough and I quit cold turkey.

Now, he is smoking again and I am not. He says he can quit any time he likes but that is typical of many smokers, the denial that they have an addiction problem.

I hope he can get a handle on it soon, but he seems very ambivalent about it

11 hours ago, fanjita said:

Reporting back.  I have indeed given up but have fallen back on the vape, which isn't so bad but really don't want to be on it for too long.  Haven't smoked for two weeks today.

Hey! Whoohoo! 2 Weeks!

My sincere congratulations! I (and all on here) know how truly difficult that is; you should  be very proud.

I can't really speak to the Vape as I have never tried one. If it helps, then I say go for it; I am of the school who thinks whatever works is a good thing as stopping smoking is the main objective. However, to contradict my previous sentence, I also agree with the idea that you shouldn't let it become a habit (I am a reformed smoker, I am allowed illogic).

My experience in stopping smoking (I'll say "quit" at this time next year, god willing) is/was that the 'habit' part is the difficult thing, and not so much the physical addiction. Yes, I did/do have withdrawals, but they haven't ever bothered me too much; I find it is simply a matter of gritting your teeth, saying "NO!", and waiting it out. The habit, on the other hand, is the one that still affects me to this day (9 months). I still find myself thinking about whether I have smokes or reaching out to see them on the table, etc, and I think I'll still be doing that for a while yet. Hmm.. I should note that even though I do that, I still am utterly determined to never smoke again and I haven't truly felt the 'need' to smoke in a while.

To sum up, "Fantastic!" so far and good luck in the future! You will have a few tough days ahead, but if I and others can break the habit, then so can you.

And, it is worth it.

Really, really worth it.

• 4 months later...

I'd like to provide you good folks an update on my giving up smoking.

As I stated earlier in the thread I got on the vape to help distance myself from the ciggies and worked very well.  Though, over time, I felt that my lungs didn't feel any better by continuing to inhale the vape juice.  

I therefore decided to finish with the vape and now three weeks in on the nicotine gum which is very cheap and indeed much cheaper than vaping and works well.  

I'm hellbent on not returning to being a smoking slave.  In fact, there's so many positives in staying smoke-free, for example, we went out with friends to a restaurant last weekend and I didn't get up once to leave the restaurant for a cigarette.  Previously I would have been outside for a cigarette at least three or four times during the meal so it made it a much more enjoyable social occasion. 

I was a smoker from the age of 14 till I packed in 5 years ago.

There is not a day goes by when I do not feel like starting again.

I smoked no more than 20 a day for the best part of 40 years , after 5 years I still miss it.

Archived