Confusion after claims foreigner bitten by shark in Hua Hin - injuries caused by rocks say doctors

webfact

Confusion after claims foreigner bitten by shark in Hua Hin - injuries caused by rocks say doctors

shark.jpg

Video footage posted to social media on Sunday claimed that a foreign man was been bitten by a shark at a beach in Hua Hin.

The clip, which has now been removed, showed a man being carried out of the water having suffered multiple injuries to one of his feet.

The incident was said to have taken place at Sai Noi beach, south Hua Hin, with the unnamed foreigner being rushed to hospital for treatment.

However, some people commenting online questioned the claims of the injuries being the result of a shark attack and said the injuries could have been caused by sharp rocks on the seabed.

shark2.jpg

Others said the injuries were clearly bite marks, with speculation that they were caused by a black tip reef shark.

Commenting about the incident on Facebook, Edwin Wiek, who runs the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand in Phetchaburi province, said that sharks found in the Gulf of Thailand "are big enough to bite but too small to fight".

Another Facebook user, Aaron Gimli Myers wrote: "Never seen or heard of such aggressive behaviour from a tipped reef shark before, pretty fast and shy animals. Potentially a small bull shark? Have seen them while diving off the islands so not that far for one to travel really and also very aggressive creatures".

30725769_237248113679389_8670772387681140736_n.jpg

Image:  นู๋กิ๊ก รุม่ะ 

Marilyn Rose commenting said: “Ouch! That looks nasty! There are shark in the area as I've seen local fisherman catch them at Takiab, but they're only usually close to shore at night and don't tend to attack humans unless they feel threatened. There are also some pretty nasty rocks at Sai Noi on which my better half broke his toe. To be honest though, it does look more like a bite”.

UPDATE: Thaivisa has been informed that medical staff who treated the foreign man said the injuries were not consistent with that of a shark bite and were likely to be caused by rocks.

Thaivisa is trying to contact medical officials and will update this post if we receive any new information.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-16

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

should that not read TAT?

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

UPDATE: Thaivisa has been informed that medical staff who treated the foreign man said the injuries were not consistent with that of a shark bite and were likely to be caused by rocks.

It is very clear that these are shark bite and most likely the black tip reef shark rocks do not leave bite marks rather the skin would be torn and not identical to each other as these clearly are .

28 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

Of course is caused by the rocks, there are no biting sharks in Thailand at all!

are you sure about that. i'm no professional but i know they have bull sharks off the coast and islands around chumphon and they can bite if they feel threatened or so i am told

18 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

are you sure about that. i'm no professional but i know they have bull sharks off the coast and islands around chumphon and they can bite if they feel threatened or so i am told

It was meant sarcastic ..

36 minutes ago, keith101 said:

It is very clear that these are shark bite and most likely the black tip reef shark rocks do not leave bite marks rather the skin would be torn and not identical to each other as these clearly are .

When did you examine the person's  injuries? All I see is some blood with coagulation.  Shark bites result in tearing and we would expect to see the skin shredded or puncture wounds.  I don't see how you can conclude it was a shark based upon these photos as the extent of injury is not provided.

Image result for shark bite

Image result for shark biteImage result for shark bite

33 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I know nothing about sharks, but look at the cuts on the top of his foot.

Also equally spaced just like teeth marks.

Is this another case of BS to try to protect Thailands tourist industry?

I don't see any spacing as you describe. I see coagulated blood.

Maybe it was a shark. However, it couldn't be much of  a shark because there is no shredding and no deep puncture wound. Until someone who has examined the  injured party says otherwise, I am going with  an injury due to debris or rocks. There is  metal and  building debris  dumped in that area.

1 hour ago, RotMahKid said:

Of course is caused by the rocks, there are no biting sharks in Thailand at all!

There are, but it is very rear it happens. All sharks can bite, but as said, it have to be a mistake action, or just unlucky. 

http://www.sharkattackdata.com/place/thailand

I have seen the rockbites here in Hua Hin before, and it doesnt look nice at all. Many tourists bite themselves every day on those rocks, some worse than others. 

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

There are, but it is very rear it happens. All sharks can bite, but as said, it have to be a mistake action, or just unlucky. 

http://www.sharkattackdata.com/place/thailand

I have seen the rockbites here in Hua Hin before, and it doesnt look nice at all. Many tourists bite themselves every day on those rocks, some worse than others. 

he mentioned earlier, he was being sarcastic

15 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

When did you examine the person's  injuries? All I see is some blood with coagulation.  Shark bites result in tearing and we would expect to see the skin shredded or puncture wounds.  I don't see how you can conclude it was a shark based upon these photos as the extent of injury is not provided.

Maybe it was a shark. However, it couldn't be much of  a shark because there is no shredding and no deep puncture wound. Until someone who has examined the  injured party says otherwise, I am going with  an injury due to debris or rocks. There is  metal and  building debris  dumped in that area.

You dont see any spacing as i describe?

You showed the photo that shows exactly what i described.:sad:

I am one of those who swam across a big rock overgrown by

sharp shells,it hurts like hell and bleeds alot.The spacing looks a lot like a bite but the wounds were not very deep.

I was told a long time ago there were no (big) sharks in the gulf of thailand and the next day i saw a 4 meter hammerhead on the back of a pick-up in Hua-hin.Not sure where it came from but you never know.

22 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I have caught massive Tiger sharks, Bull sharks and Hammerhead sharks when fishing in Thai waters, they are around, maybe not in the same numbers today as before.

Now sadly a plastic bag or an aggressive turd.

so could this be from something like a Moray eel. Very territorial and will hide in rocks, generally doing nothing to humans unless attacked. Stepping near the hole in the rock occupied by a big moray would be enough. 

Are there even any rocks/coral in the sea at Hua Hin that could cause such an injury (it would have to be coral)?

It does seem like the tourist board are desperate to ensure no bad publicity for the beach at Hua Hin

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Maybe it was a shark. However, it couldn't be much of  a shark because there is no shredding and no deep puncture wound.

Maybe the shark was not hungry; just protecting its home.

If it was not a shark, my guess would be a salt water croc'. 

47 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Facts... the enemy of a good anti Thai bash of a cover-up.

11 minutes ago, Coastrider said:

Nice beach..not too many tourist there. Think I will wait a few days to go for a dip...555..I don't see lots of rocks

IMG_20180309_135652.jpg

IMG_20180309_135630.jpg

Doubt also that he was diving on the beach, so the rocks there are totally not related to this thread.

Archived