Confusion after claims foreigner bitten by shark in Hua Hin - injuries caused by rocks say doctors

webfact

47 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Maybe the shark was not hungry; just protecting its home.

If it was not a shark, my guess would be a salt water croc'. 

Saltwater crocodiles have not been spotted in Thai waters for 30-40 years, but who knows, could be one migrating from Indonesia. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

so could this be from something like a Moray eel. Very territorial and will hide in rocks, generally doing nothing to humans unless attacked. Stepping near the hole in the rock occupied by a big moray would be enough. 

Are there even any rocks/coral in the sea at Hua Hin that could cause such an injury (it would have to be coral)?

It does seem like the tourist board are desperate to ensure no bad publicity for the beach at Hua Hin

Yes there are a lot of rocks there,and they bite!

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

It is very clear that these are shark bite and most likely the black tip reef shark rocks do not leave bite marks rather the skin would be torn and not identical to each other as these clearly are .

Despite not being there and relying on a postage size photo you clearly know best

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

It is very clear that these are shark bite and most likely the black tip reef shark rocks do not leave bite marks rather the skin would be torn and not identical to each other as these clearly are .

You clearly don't know anything about black tip reef sharks.

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Even the rocks have teeth here.

Not only here Everywhere, and yes real teeth!

I spent a good part of my life working at sea living on boats, diving, and as a volunteer on lifeboats, some shells or corals on some rocks are like razor blades and I saw people coming out of the water with about thirty cuts on feet, legs, hands and arms.

Here an example of reef cut find on the internet. If a rock is one meter under the water many do not realise it could be that dangerous

reef cuts.jpeg

Anyone who has swam at Hua Hin will know there are areas that have sharp barnacle shells attached to the rocks ..these are razor sharp and I once witnessed a Scandinavian girl cut herself there quite badly.The only warning to alert people to this is plastic bottles were/are attached to the rocks as warning buoys.Not a marine biologist by any stretch but these wounds do look like teeth lacerations to my eyes.Let's be honest the local authorities here have never been straight with their explanations at the best of times and the last thing they would want is a tourism panic to impact on their incomes! 

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Saltwater crocodiles have not been spotted in Thai waters for 30-40 years, but who knows, could be one migrating from Indonesia. 

One was caught in Phuket the other month in some old mining lake.  Others have been reported to live in that area.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-confirm-crocodile-is-saltwater-species-rare-to-area-63732.php#3sKw6FG07dEWZJrV.97

4 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

looks like a bite to me, and since when has medical staff been experts on bite marks?

Crazy, if the tourist said he was bitten by a shark, he would be the one looking down at the time, I'd go with his view.

And when did you start believing tourists during songkran? He could be dead drunk for all you know? 

If you read how many shark attacks there have been in Thailand total, it would surprise me there where any sharks around the beach in Hua Hin, and I have been snorkeling, freediving and diving alot in thai bay area, and on west coast, also with sharks. 

7 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Of course is caused by the rocks, there are no biting sharks in Thailand at all!

There are no fish for them to eat,so they never come anywhere near Hua Hin

Archived