Confusion after claims foreigner bitten by shark in Hua Hin - injuries caused by rocks say doctors

webfact

7 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

i really think a snorkeler or diver who could stand the animal off would have no worries. i did have a group of black tips circling me while i was snorkeling ko tao recently but as an experienced swimmer you dont exhibit fear energy..........and they will do away.  

Sure risk  is small  I think  The guy was  really unlucky.  bit that Beach also a  recipie for shark mistakes specially  that not clear  water.  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, djingen said:

Sure risk  is small  I think  The guy was  really unlucky.  bit that Beach also a  recipie for shark mistakes specially  that not clear  water.  

i think if you can eye down the animal with at the very least swimming goggles the animal would not try to take a bite...........think if it like a dog.........a dog will try to nip if you are not watching your feet...........just like a shark.........the swimmer probably didnt have swim goggles on so he couldn't keep his underwater surroundings in view and the shark nipped him.

5 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Maybe because too many people catching them?

Released every shark I caught alive, but I know many of the local anglers still kill them, catch and release has really not kicked off yet in Thailand, its more like catch and eat.

34 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Released every shark I caught alive, but I know many of the local anglers still kill them, catch and release has really not kicked off yet in Thailand, its more like catch and eat.

I guess more sharks dies of ghost nets, than sportsfishing, but the big killer is fishermen. Tragic and sad, and also if the shark story now make another reason to kill them here in Hua Hin. 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I guess more sharks dies of ghost nets, than sportsfishing, but the big killer is fishermen. Tragic and sad, and also if the shark story now make another reason to kill them here in Hua Hin. 

If you visit any of the big fishing ports in Thailand you will see a lot of dead sharks, a very sad sight. If the Thais think that the sharks in Hua Hin will affect their tourist business I think they will not hesitate to kill the sharks.  

5 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

If you visit any of the big fishing ports in Thailand you will see a lot of dead sharks, a very sad sight. If the Thais think that the sharks in Hua Hin will affect their tourist business I think they will not hesitate to kill the sharks.  

The fishermen have to fish, and I guess it is a biproduct of their catch, and not of purpose, so better to keep the bicatch, and not trow it over board like so many other eu countries did before, because they could not bring it onshore. However whatever, it is sad how we treat our planet, and leave for our next generation. Sad

15 hours ago, gamini said:

So many ridiculous posts on this forum. I have studied sharks for 40 years and written many articles about them and given lectures on them in many countries as well as Thailand.  The American navy commissioned me to advise them on shark attacks. I spent two years diving in the gulf of Thailand too. I can can assure every one that was it was not a shark bite for many different reasons, the main one being that it is very consistant to the many cuts and wounds caused by rock and coral that I have witnessed on many occasions. The only confirmed  shark attack in Thailand was  at Siricha in 1924. I have cited the above qualifications so as I can hopefully be spared the usual TV posts  one expects for making an informed statement.

So, MR. Expert. I guess you haven't read the news today.

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

You dont see any spacing as i describe?

You showed the photo that shows exactly what i described.:sad:

The 3 photos I provided are examples of genuine shark bite. The photos provided in the original article are nothing like these photos. In the  only photo showing the actual injury, what we see are some lacerations, but no shredding and no shearing. The blood has  pooled/collected  because of the angle that the foot was in and is nothing more than that.

Sharks do not chew their food. Instead they  rip it off the source. Hence the shearing and shredding. The shark  will do a back and forth movement when it is in full feeding mode. The chunks are swallowed whole. If this was a shark bite, perhaps it was by a shark with dentures.  The wound was examined at the hospital and the physicians said no, it was a rock laceration injury. 

22 hours ago, Hummin said:

And when did you start believing tourists during songkran? He could be dead drunk for all you know? 

If you read how many shark attacks there have been in Thailand total, it would surprise me there where any sharks around the beach in Hua Hin, and I have been snorkeling, freediving and diving alot in thai bay area, and on west coast, also with sharks. 

VIDEO: It was a shark! “40 to 50 sharks” spotted in waters off Hua Hin

By Jonathan Fairfield, 17 hours ago in Hua Hin / Cha-Am News

29 minutes ago, Cancerian said:

No confusion here was a rock we have them in Australia as well some can be up to 6 meters in length. Some are that sharp they have been known to remove body parts

You have sharks there that remove body parts too :), snakes that can make you wince and jellyfish that have one helluva sting, i have to say that when swimming in Australia, it wasn't the rocks that I was looking out for :)

2 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

You have sharks there that remove body parts too :), snakes that can make you wince and jellyfish that have one helluva sting, i have to say that when swimming in Australia, it wasn't the rocks that I was looking out for :)

I was being sarcastic. Yes funnel Web spiders, red back spiders, salt water crocodiles, stone fish, blue ring octopus,  a whole range of snakes, bull tiger and great white sharks, 8 of the 15 deadliest snakes in the world. Even out gum trees can kill you

2 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

VIDEO: It was a shark! “40 to 50 sharks” spotted in waters off Hua Hin

By Jonathan Fairfield, 17 hours ago in Hua Hin / Cha-Am News

For your information, so is the sea full of sharks, but it is very rear they attack people, specialy in Thai water. I have snorkelled, freedived, and dived with sharks, and see them quite often, unfortanly more before than later. 

We just have to wait and see pics of him after surgery and fixed up, and let the doctors and him tell the story. It would be one in trillion if this is a attack. 

17 minutes ago, Hummin said:

For your information, so is the sea full of sharks, but it is very rear they attack people, specialy in Thai water. I have snorkelled, freedived, and dived with sharks, and see them quite often, unfortanly more before than later. 

We just have to wait and see pics of him after surgery and fixed up, and let the doctors and him tell the story. It would be one in trillion if this is a attack. 

obvious attack the question is what species. i dont think bull sharks go that close to shore?

7 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

obvious attack the question is what species. i dont think bull sharks go that close to shore?

How can you say it is an attack? Have you seen people hurt on the rocks in Hua Hin before? I have, and it is nasty, and if he got taken by the current at the same time, and got his foot tvisted, it is likely the same injuries he have now. The rocks are sharp as teeths. I have no interest of denying an shark attack, it is just I have seen the resoults of the injury people have gotten from those rocks before. If it is a sharkbite, then wow, it is very rear happens. Just to say one more time. 

29 minutes ago, Hummin said:

30 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Similar odds to winning lottery. But it happens every week. marks look very clean deep both sides of foot broken bones. Would be a hell of a impact to do that on rocks no matter how sharp. Rodney fox has dived many times also have you seen he's scars 

Bull sharks are reasonably common in warm waters and quite aggressive. I'd say the odds of that type damage on rocks no matter how sharp are higher than getting bitten by a shark. 

41 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

Bull sharks are also called Zambezi sharks, they can survive in fresh water and travel far up in the Zambezi river and have killed domestic animals and also humans there, they are also present in Lake Nicaragua, they are reported to swim close to the shore and in big rivers.

On 4/16/2018 at 11:19 AM, Forethat said:

If I didn't know any better I'd say that's a Bull Shark bite.

Amazing what a little knowledge of sharks can do.

"An aggressive bull shark is believed to be the culprit."

Archived