is re-entry permit needed at Mae-Sai / Tachilek (Myanmar) border?

I realize that most farang who seek to cross that border, don't need a formal re-entry (1,000 baht) provision.   But how about farang who are on real  visas? (not visa-on-arrival with 1 or zero departures) ....or farang who are on single entry 60-day visas.  Sorry if this sounds convoluted, but

A. I don't know all the jargon, and

B. Thai Imm authorities make the rules so byzantine, it's not easy to wade through them.

I've been across that border many times with no problems, but am not asking about myself, because I have a multi-entry provision.

Instead I'm asking about other farang (friends) from Europe and N.America.   Note: I went with three Indian friends, all of whom had formal visas (obtained before entering Thailand), and they were not allowed to cross the Tachilek border, even for a day of visiting - because they only had a one-entry (to Thailand) provision, which they already used when entering Thailand prior.   Thai Imm authorities offered the Indians no options to remedy their situation.   Note: all 3 Indians were well-dressed executives at Toyota (I mention that because Thai authorities are always looking at a person's appearance and social status).

If you go through departure immigration procedures you need a valid visa or re-entry permit for re-entry to the country unless you want to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

At one time it was possible to leave and re-enter the country without going through immigration if you got a border pass to enter Myanmar but I think that is no longer available.

It seems immigration did your friends a favor by not allowing them to leave the country. If they had done the crossing they would of only been able to get a 15 day visa on arrival after paying a 2000 baht fee fore it.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you go through departure immigration procedures you need a valid visa or re-entry permit for re-entry to the country unless you want to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

At one time it was possible to leave and re-enter the country without going through immigration if you got a border pass to enter Myanmar but I think that is no longer available.

It seems immigration did your friends a favor by not allowing them to leave the country. If they had done the crossing they would of only been able to get a 15 day visa on arrival after paying a 2000 baht fee fore it.

Not quite.  Your closing sentence doesn't reflect the reality of the situation.  Thai Imm officials left no option for the 3 Indians.  Nada.  Zilch.  

In your other part of the post, you refer to 'border pass.'   You may be referring to what existed for years,  up until about 6 years ago:  a VIP pass.   That was convenient, and win-win for all involved.  On the Thai side, they charge just Bt.100, and there were zero stamps in a person's passport.  It was good for one day - not overnight.  I called it 'a day pass.'

It was great, but like many great things, Thai authorities snuffed it out.  Their reason (as told to me by an Imm officer) "Why you go Burma buy things? You can buy same same in Thailand."

Actually, the VIP still exists, somewhat.  It's allowed for large Chinese groups if they have a licensed Thai guide (....who knows less about the border town than I, ...but that's a different story).   Only Chinese in groups.  No one else.   Thai racial profiling/bias.

3 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Not quite.  Your closing sentence doesn't reflect the reality of the situation.  Thai Imm officials left no option for the 3 Indians.  Nada.  Zilch.  

A visa on arrival was available for them but the immigration officer was able to see that it was not a viable option for them since they apparently had a permit to stay longer than than the 15 days a visa on arrival would allow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa on arrival was available for them but the immigration officer was able to see that it was not a viable option for them since they apparently had a permit to stay longer than than the 15 days a visa on arrival would allow.

If that's true (and I don't doubt your knowledge on these topics), then Thai Imm rules are even more convoluted and screwed-up than I thought.  It's like trying to read Thai, when a random quarter of the letters are reversed, and a quarter are seen through a mirror.

10 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

If that's true (and I don't doubt your knowledge on these topics), then Thai Imm rules are even more convoluted and screwed-up than I thought.  It's like trying to read Thai, when a random quarter of the letters are reversed, and a quarter are seen through a mirror.

Those from India can get a 15 day visa on arrival and the Mae Sai crossing can issue them.

Info here: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1287/19767-รายชื่อประเทศที่สามารถขอรับการตรวจลงตรา-ณ-ช่องทางอ.html

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The 3 Indians had formal visas issued (from Thai Consulate?) prior to when they arrived in Bkk.  Apparently they were allowed one entry only, so they couldn't leave the kingdom for a side trip.

5 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

The 3 Indians had formal visas issued (from Thai Consulate?) prior to when they arrived in Bkk.  Apparently they were allowed one entry only, so they couldn't leave the kingdom for a side trip.

They could of gotten re-entry permits for the permit to stay they got from their visas to make a trip out of the country.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

17,844 post in 5 years....He is an expert too.

Obviously. He knows absolutely everything so why ask the question?

Averages to about 10 posts per day. Nothing but time for a foreigner babbling about <deleted> he doesn't know.

Edited by duanebigsby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

If they were in the country on a single entry visa entry they were given a permission to stay up to a certain date when they entered the country. If they wanted to leave the country and return while preserving their permission to stay, they could have gotten a re-entry permit.

The visa was good for one entry, so they would be allowed the second entry, with original permission to stay date, with a re-entry permit.

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

then Thai Imm rules are even more convoluted and screwed-up than I thought.

Don't know why that fairly straight forward concept is so difficult for you to understand. 

Just because you don't understand something, it doesn't mean it's convoluted and screwed up. The problem is closer to home in your case.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Give it a rest. You obviously know all the answers and nothing the resident expert Ubonjoe can say will satisfy you. None of the Thai alphabet are "reversed" or "seen through a mirror" What utter nonsense.

I didn't say I had all the answers.  Are you saying I do?  

I respect Ubonjoe's knowledge of the byzantine world of Thai Imm rules, though the rules change from place to place, and are administered according the subjective whims of whichever official is manning the kiosk at any given time.  

I could cite over a dozen examples of how Thai Imm rules have been mutable, from my own experiences.  The 3 Indians is a case in point.  That day, when I accompanied the Indians, the four of us went to two different places where there were uniformed Thai Imm officials, and not one official put forth an option which would accommodate our needs.

It was as if the Thai officials, after taking a look at the dark skin of the Indians (from southernmost India), decided not to offer any options.  In typical Thai style, the officials kept up their mantra "mai dai, mai dai, mai dai."  while waving their hands and avoiding eye contact.

Are Thais color-conscious?   Is water wet?

• Like 1

I have used that crossing many times over the last seven years or so

I have a Retirement Extension and multi rentry permit and have to formally leave and return

Each time I have had to pay for a day visa on the Myanamar side

I have never been offered any day option alternative and never seen it offered to any other non Thais using this crossing of which there are many.

The only people who seem to avoid using their passports are the Thais who get a day pass by getting their ID card which seems to be incorporated into a form at the local District Office ( this is what my Thai wife does)

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They could of gotten re-entry permits for the permit to stay they got from their visas to make a trip out of the country.

Where do they get those re-entry permits?   .....at the place/time when they first get their visas - in their home country?  .....or at the Thai side of a border crossing?  .....or ?

I'm not being a smart-alec, but am asking sincerely.

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I have used that crossing many times over the last seven years or so

I have a Retirement Extension and multi rentry permit and have to formally leave and return  Each time I have had to pay for a day visa on the Myanamar side

I have never been offered any day option alternative and never seen it offered to any other non Thais using this crossing of which there are many.

The only people who seem to avoid using their passports are the Thais who get a day pass by getting their ID card which seems to be incorporated into a form at the local District Office ( this is what my Thai wife does)

Let me guess: you've been doing those crossings in the past few years.

If you had been doing those crossings several years ago, there was a 'VIP pass' option which I called a 'day-pass' on and off.   I say 'on and off' because it was sporadic, though most of the time it was an available option by the Thai side.

For their part, the Burmese side was always accommodating - regardless of other factors.  In other words, while Thai officials would change their regulations week to week, (depending on which way the wind blows, how they were feeling, whether they were offended by something a Burmese general said a week earlier) ....the Burmese officials were cool-headed.

Another difference between Thai and Burmese officials, on each side of the border....

Thais seem to hide in their kiosks. They cocoon themselves behind papered/tinted windows and behind computer screens, so as to have as little eye contact as possible with travelers.  In contrast, on the Burmese side, it's like the traveler is dealing with real people.  You can see their faces, they have facial expressions, there's sometimes some banter/joking with travelers.  On the Thai side, going and coming, it's like the traveler is dealing with robotrons, each with a fixed expression of boredom.

18 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Where do they get those re-entry permits?   .....at the place/time when they first get their visas - in their home country?  .....or at the Thai side of a border crossing?  .....or ?

A re-entry permit can be applied for at a immigration office. The fee for a single is 1000 baht.

Some of the major border crossing have re-entry permit desks.

48 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Let me guess: you've been doing those crossings in the past few years.

If you had been doing those crossings several years ago, there was a 'VIP pass' option which I called a 'day-pass' on and off.   I say 'on and off' because it was sporadic, though most of the time it was an available option by the Thai side.

For their part, the Burmese side was always accommodating - regardless of other factors.  In other words, while Thai officials would change their regulations week to week, (depending on which way the wind blows, how they were feeling, whether they were offended by something a Burmese general said a week earlier) ....the Burmese officials were cool-headed.

Another difference between Thai and Burmese officials, on each side of the border....

Thais seem to hide in their kiosks. They cocoon themselves behind papered/tinted windows and behind computer screens, so as to have as little eye contact as possible with travelers.  In contrast, on the Burmese side, it's like the traveler is dealing with real people.  You can see their faces, they have facial expressions, there's sometimes some banter/joking with travelers.  On the Thai side, going and coming, it's like the traveler is dealing with robotrons, each with a fixed expression of boredom.

I did say over the last SEVEN years or so meaning nearly SEVEN years and have never had any problem with the Immigration people on either side or elsewhere in Thailand.

I have found that if you treat them courteously and friendly lt helps and again my visits are not for the purpose of avoiding having to obtain a retirement extension or other means to reside in Thailand.

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I did say over the last SEVEN years or so meaning nearly SEVEN years and have never had any problem with the Immigration people on either side or elsewhere in Thailand.

I have found that if you treat them courteously and friendly lt helps and again my visits are not for the purpose of avoiding having to obtain a retirement extension or other means to reside in Thailand.

It was about 7 years ago that the VIP option was terminated by Thai authorities (Burmese authorities were cool, either way). 

Added note:  It behooves farang to look at their rubber stamps (in their passport/entry card) on the Thai side when entering Thailand.  Should do it immediately after getting stamped.  More than once, I've found mistakes re; the date on the rubber stamp.  Most recently; 3 days ago.

16 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

It was about 7 years ago that the VIP option was terminated by Thai authorities (Burmese authorities were cool, either way). 

Added note:  It behooves farang to look at their rubber stamps (in their passport/entry card) on the Thai side when entering Thailand.  Should do it immediately after getting stamped.  More than once, I've found mistakes re; the date on the rubber stamp.  Most recently; 3 days ago.

Never had a problem

45 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Never had a problem

Good for you.  Are you saying you never had a problem trying to get a VIP 'day-pass' or you never tried getting one, or....?

I'm saying the VIP pass was available most of the time (except when Thai gov't had conniption fits about something a Burmese official said) ....up until about 5 yrs ago.  I realize I said '7 yrs ago' in an earlier post, but I think it was closer to 5. 

It's been a problem for many farang, ....except Chinese tourists who are given waivers by Thai Imm.   I know first hand, as I've spoken with many farang who are annoyed with Thai Imm changing its policy.  The only 2 reasons Thai officials have given for constricting the policy are:

>>>  Why you go shopping in Tachilek?  We have same in Mae Sai. and,

>>>  Bangkok says so (and of course, officials outside of Bkk can never question decisions made in Bkk).

52 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Never had a problem

I assume you're saying you've never had a problem with Thai Imm.  That's great for you.

I have probably dealt with Thai Imm more than you, and over the past 20 yrs, there have been times when I've caught them making mistakes.  Usually, those mistakes are unwitting (and fixed right away), but sometimes the mistakes are conscious. I could get into detail, if you want.

I have also dealt with Thai lawyers who have made mistakes, but that's another topic.

All in all, it's always good to check your new passport rubber stamps as soon as they're given.  If you trust Thai Imm officials to such an extent - to never check or question what they do or say, .....then you have a different modus operandi than I, and problems could ensue.

5 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I assume you're saying you've never had a problem with Thai Imm.  That's great for you.

I have probably dealt with Thai Imm more than you, and over the past 20 yrs, there have been times when I've caught them making mistakes.  Usually, those mistakes are unwitting (and fixed right away), but sometimes the mistakes are conscious. I could get into detail, if you want.

I have also dealt with Thai lawyers who have made mistakes, but that's another topic.

All in all, it's always good to check your new passport rubber stamps as soon as they're given.  If you trust Thai Imm officials to such an extent - to never check or question what they do or say, .....then you have a different modus operandi than I, and problems could ensue.

You really must learn to read the post before you reply I never said I didn't check I said I have never had a problem

Anyhow you win the prize for having the most problems

Goodbye

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

You really must learn to read the post before you reply I never said I didn't check I said I have never had a problem

Anyhow you win the prize for having the most problems

Goodbye

I'm seeking solutions to stickler issues.  I also also give advice which may help others avoid problems.  You seem to be just sitting back and saying, "''never had a problem."

It's akin to a person who has an allergy and is seeking assistance.  Another person says, "I don't have an allergy like that, so you're just making problems for yourself."