Aussie language teacher shot in Chiang Mai car park by Thai girlfriend

webfact

28 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

you logic is nonsense as i know there are universities in chiang mai, i was suggesting it was CMU as other news outlets reported. and if you read the thread, which can't be too hard you will see that i said it could be either fault. also , no i don;t think it was necessary to go out carrying a gun when she could have called the police and remained in the condo. but i still don;t know the full circumstances of that and neither do you. 

I have no problem acknowledging it could be either persons' fault, because we do not know. Why did she have the gun? Well, perhaps she does not think as you apparently do, she claims she was attacked twice before and reported it to police, maybe she thought she needed it for protection—is that too far a reach for you?  Then you leap to the conclusion she intended to shoot him; based on what evidence; that she carried a gun for protection? Do you have any idea of how many registered guns there are in Thailand? Don’t let your nanny state mentality overwhelm you. Remember your statement, " . . . it could be either fault . . ."

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I have no problem acknowledging it could be either persons' fault, because we do not know. Why did she have the gun? Well, perhaps she does not think as you apparently do, she claims she was attacked twice before and reported it to police, maybe she thought she needed it for protection—is that too far a reach for you?  Then you leap to the conclusion she intended to shoot him; based on what evidence; that she carried a gun for protection? Do you have any idea of how many registered guns there are in Thailand? Don’t let your nanny state mentality overwhelm you. Remember your statement, " . . . it could be either fault . . ."

like i said read the rest of the thread and please don't advise me, don;t need your advice thanks. yes i know there are alot of registered gunshere, i have one. probably more guns per people where i am than most towns in thailand. and this nanny state <deleted> you refer to, i have lived here since i was 19, longer here than any nanny state you refer to. and i didn't leap to any conclusion BTW, i outlined a possibility. anything else oh wise one

4 hours ago, malcoml said:

She lost face as he started spending his English teacher salary on another lady. 

She had previously reported him to police for assault in an attempt to extract money from him and force him to come back. They did nothing as they knew it was BS.

She finally so enraged asked him to come over with the promise of no strings attached sex.

She then met him in the car park and edged on by family and friends and fueled by alcohol shot him.

If she was so fearful of him she would have never left her room in the first place.

have I missed anything?

If you're making up a narrative, you need to specify that.

On the other hand, if you're reporting something you heard or witnessed, you need to specify that also.

- - - -  - - - - 

I will venture a speculative narrative:

He had an on-going crush on her. He went by (called ahead? or not? we don't know).  If she was afraid of him, she could have stayed inside, locked the door, called others (cops? friends?) to assist - or she could have run away.

According to the little bit we've heard, it sounds like she's a black-hearted bitch who shot him for mere emotional reasons. That's not enough reason to shoot someone with a deadly weapon.  That bullet, had it been a half inch to one side or the other, could have killed him.  

It looks as tho the guy can file an attempted murder case against her.  However, since this is Thailand, you can guess who the always-subjective authorities will side with.

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Why is it unlikely she's fired a gun before, she owns a gun and there are ranges all over the place.

I could be down the local range firing my choice of weapons within 20 minutes of leaving my house on any given day of the week.

Which reminds me: I have been meaning to ask for ages. Which are the best shooting ranges in Pattaya and Bangkok?

52 minutes ago, smotherb said:

So, then you have no information to doubt her word.

I never doubted anything, simply pointed out that she claims he previously attacked her, with no evidence of that so far apart from her claims... No conspiracy theory, just pointing out a fact..  

1 minute ago, XJPSX said:

She will get off. He is a farang and she is Thai. She says he abused her.

He will likely get his visa cancelled.

"Aussie language" teacher .... how did he get work permit? Thai policy is to encourage native English speakers, "Strine" is a slang form of English, as we all know.

This guy should know that there are plenty of fish in the sea here in Thailand. I hope that he has a speedy recovery. If her story is correct which is for the most part easily verifiable with police reports I hope he is quickly deported. 

Perhaos she was afraid of ending up like this

And perhaps she had good reason to fear this based on his past behavior.

As to "why did she agree to meet him", maybe she did not. Maybe he waylaid her after she rebuffed repeated calls from him. We don't know.

no one knows what happened only what she says. the story doesn't add up for me. so she reported him twice to the police for assault so she says. so why didn't the police charge him or take any action. if she was so afraid that she thought it OK to walk the streets carrying a gun then why didn't she take this further up the chain with the police before having to resort to walking around with a gun. personally i don't know the full details as no one else here does as there are hardly any details only what this woman says. i knew a bloke who was with a girl who used to beat the shit out of him. we all told him to leave but he wouldn't because he 'loved' the psycho. once he turned around and slapped her, bearing in mind this guy used to come to work with black eyes and cuts all round his neck on a regular basis but he was too ashamed to go to the police. soon as he slapped her she was on the phone to the cops and he was charged with domestic violence so i'm not going to jump to her defense and say he deserved it when she was confident enough to walk around with a gun and use it without taking her complaints further with the police. and if as some on here say they always side with the thai blah blah blah, why didn't the police then charge the guy or take any action from the first 2 supposed reports. somethings not right in this story for me. but anyway, he's not dead, hopefully he recovers they don't see each other again and that's the end of it

11 hours ago, Xyzero said:

So many fish in the sea  makes one wonder why one would go back to the same fishing hole when the one that you caught was not eatable 

One was thinking what very good English at last when suddenly it all fell apart with eatable ! when the word is

“ edible “

9 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Australians just don't get it, but self defence is a legitmate reason to use deadly force. 

Umm, yes and no.  I don't know about Thailand, but in most western countries the use of force should be commensurate with the threat.  If someone charged at you with a machete and you happen to be holding a gun, then the use of force would be proportionate, if you shot them.  If someone threatened to punch you, then shooting them would not normally be considered a proportionate response to the threat level.  Of course, TIT, so you can probably shoot someone for frowning at you and get away with it, especially if you are Thai. 

So, I await with baited breath the story from the Aussie teacher and I'd love to read those assault reports, if they exist and discover what the BIB did to investigate them.  I won't be holding my breath waiting for that though.  

12 hours ago, DLock said:

Police told me that if I shot someone in my house, to then shoot 2 shots into the roof and say I fired warning shots first...

...but they also said, make sure he was dead.

She got one part right.

Bad advice. Then your roof will leak.

13 hours ago, DLock said:

Police told me that if I shot someone in my house, to then shoot 2 shots into the roof and say I fired warning shots first...

...but they also said, make sure he was dead.

She got one part right.

I was told by the Thai police, that if an intruder breaks into my house, always shoot him in the front of his body and not in his back. Shooting someone from the front, the shooter can claim self defence.

Guns in Thailand are has easy to obtain as candy bars. One of my neighbours actually makes guns, he offered me one for 2000 baht, no questions asked. I`ve learned never get involved in disputes with my neighbours, likely to get shot. 

9 hours ago, Happy enough said:

like i said read the rest of the thread and please don't advise me, don;t need your advice thanks. yes i know there are alot of registered gunshere, i have one. probably more guns per people where i am than most towns in thailand. and this nanny state <deleted> you refer to, i have lived here since i was 19, longer here than any nanny state you refer to. and i didn't leap to any conclusion BTW, i outlined a possibility. anything else oh wise one

Yes, thank you. I am pleased to see you, " . . . outlined a possibility . . ." Is that anything like, you made it up? 

9 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I never doubted anything, simply pointed out that she claims he previously attacked her, with no evidence of that so far apart from her claims... No conspiracy theory, just pointing out a fact..  

What fact, that you have no reason to doubt her word, especially since she said she reported it to police?  Seems an easy check, doesn't it?

Archived