What have the Thai's got right that your'e Home Country has not?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first retired here about 20 years ago ,Thailand had cheap good golf ,entertainment, girls food travel hotels, house rents and clean beaches in relative safe conditions. Now with all the price increases there are only the cheap house rents, and inexpensive girls left. But I am still hanging on. If Thailand had any and all things right then  most of us could not afford to live here.People do not come here for any thing that Thailand is supposed to have "Right".

On 4/16/2018 at 6:15 PM, possum1931 said:

Not in Scotland that I know of, I have been coming home from gigs in the early hours many times and came across plenty of red lights, I always had to stop, but if there were no traffic, I would just go.

Cameras at Lights everywhere now, 3 Points on your Licence and £300 Fine.

53 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

When I first retired here about 20 years ago ,Thailand had cheap good golf ,entertainment, girls food travel hotels, house rents and clean beaches in relative safe conditions. Now with all the price increases there are only the cheap house rents, and inexpensive girls left. But I am still hanging on. If Thailand had any and all things right then  most of us could not afford to live here.People do not come here for any thing that Thailand is supposed to have "Right".

Do you think the prices increased only here or also "back home"? I remember the days from 500B for 2 hours of intensive care. But to be fair that was 20 years ago...

- Cost of living is generally low (gasoline, utilities, local food to name a few)

- way better mobile data network coverage

- better weather and the almost certainty that I can use my motorcycle every fr***ing day of the year without freezing off any body parts

- ease of doing banking transactions instantly through internet or phone banking apps including bill payments (why this has not made it to Europe I truly don't understand!)

- 24h convenience stores and counter services

- malls open every day, so do mall bank branches

- no nanny state

- freedom of doing what I want most of the time

- ridiculously low labor cost

- service orientation (Kerry Express for instance calls me in advance checking if I will be home for a delivery. If I say no, they will gladly deliver the next day or any other day specified)

- attitude of people in general (sober people)

- reasonable tax burden

- quality and quantity of nursing staff in private hospitals

- many more

Mainly compared to living conditions in Germany and France

33 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Cameras at Lights everywhere now, 3 Points on your Licence and £300 Fine.

That's true, but I'm going back to the Mid 2000's, anyway I would never have gone through if I saw any cameras.

I have never been caught going through a red light, because I always stop dead making sure nothing is coming first.

1 hour ago, AsiaHand said:

You have a point there.

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Seriously,  Better medical care.  Except for the government pay tell me what country has better medical care services.

I have used very little medical care in either country, so I am not qualified to comment.

40 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

None where you come from ?

Don't make me laugh

The UK has plenty of corruption, their MPs have got the education and brains to cover it up, where

Thailands equivalent has not.

42 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you think the prices increased only here or also "back home"? I remember the days from 500B for 2 hours of intensive care. But to be fair that was 20 years ago...

The bus fare from my village to the nearest city has not increased at all in the near 13 years I have been here.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The UK has plenty of corruption, their MPs have got the education and brains to cover it up, where

Thailands equivalent has not.

If the UK folk covered it up then we wouldn't know about it, would we. The difference is that in Thailand the corrupt don't care if they are exposed because there are no consequences.

One thing that I like, as a few others have mentioned, is being able to buy around the clock. I live out in the sticks but within a few driving minutes of my house I have several 24 hour Tesco Lotus and 7-11 stores. That beats even the long hours that the Indians corner shops open in my native London.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If the UK folk covered it up then we wouldn't know about it, would we. The difference is that in Thailand the corrupt don't care if they are exposed because there are no consequences.

"If the UK folk covered it up then we wouldn't know about it, would we".

That would be the whole idea.

Your last sentence is spot on.:smile:

Archived