VIDEO: It was a shark! “40 to 50 sharks” spotted in waters off Hua Hin

VIDEO: It was a shark! “40 to 50 sharks” spotted in waters off Hua Hin

shark5.jpg

Video footage posted to Facebook on Monday afternoon claimed to show a shark in waters off Hua Hin.

The Facebook user who posted the footage claimed that there were between “40 or 50” sharks swimming in the water off Sai Noi beach in south Hua Hin, with each shark approximately 50kgs in size.

The footage was posted following claims on Sunday that a foreigner had been bitten by a shark while swimming at Sai Noi beach.

Footage of Sunday’s incident had since been removed from Facebook but images showed a western man with a serious injury to his foot.

However, despite the claims of a shark bite, local medics and people commenting on Facebook claimed that the injury was caused by rocks or the razor sharp barnacles which are found at some beaches in Hua Hin.

But this new footage, if legitimate would seem to point that sharks are currently present in waters off Hua Hin.

The footage from Hua Hin comes at the same time officials in Krabi confirmed that 10 black tip reef sharks were spotted hunting for small fish at Koh Hong.

The most recent images from Hua Hin also shows what looks like a black tip reef shark.

Meanwhile, the foreign man who was pictured with the injured foot suffered broken bones and required 41 stitches, the person posting on Facebook claimed.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-16

I know this is a stab in the dark, but has anybody asked the person who was injured what happened? Why so quiet on this front?

I could almost guarantee he will know the difference between being bitten by a shark and being injured by rocks. 

Sharks have an excellent way of complementing their lack of vision (eye/boy ratio) electroreception. From a very long way off sharks can detect changes in electromagnetic charges in the ocean. This is one reason reason why only a few sharks are found in fresh water because ocean water has various salts that carry charge but are lacking in freshwater. It has apparently been shown that Sharks detect the electrical discharge of muscle expansion/contraction hence can detect a good feeding area (shoals of smaller fish) from a long way off. The reason I mention this is that it isn't strange to find sharks where food is plenty and to my mind is just an act of nature and no authority should be ashamed or surprised. Of course having said, then said authority must act responsibly and advise the public accordingly. Ha, so maybe this poor chap got his foot bitten by being in the wrong place at the wrong time...or was he just curious and got too close?

2 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

1st pic is the bite of a bull shark in Bahamas,2nd pic from the Hua Hin case.I think it was a shark bite in HH

bullshark.jpg

hua hin shark.jpg

..so sorry for the people that get/have been bitten..geez it must hurt.

There have been sharks around Hua Hin for years. There was a photo of one on the Jetty in about 2007, it was a Mako shark about 7 / 8  foot long which would put it in 2 to 300lbs area. The local gentry tried to cover it up and say that there are no sharks in the Andaman sea.  But Canadian Jim had the photo and showed it to us.  There are sharks everywhere and all sea's but attacks are rare.  Happy swimming ;-)  

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Looks like Thailand has the worst doctors in the world if they cannot differentiate between a rock and a bite - but then I guess TAT money talks bigger than reality

Can you? Look at the photos. The injuries were of broken bones and lacerations. That suggests a rock and/or barnacles. Had it been a shark attack, the wounds would have been different with chunks of flesh missing. If a bone had been broken, then it would  follow that the  limb would have been ripped off. Sorry, but once there are broken bones with no shredded flesh with skin remnants, then I believe it was rocks and barnacles.  Remember, sharks do not chew. They bite and shake violently to tear off the food.

23 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Can you? Look at the photos. The injuries were of broken bones and lacerations. That suggests a rock and/or barnacles. Had it been a shark attack, the wounds would have been different with chunks of flesh missing. If a bone had been broken, then it would  follow that the  limb would have been ripped off. Sorry, but once there are broken bones with no shredded flesh with skin remnants, then I believe it was rocks and barnacles.  Remember, sharks do not chew. They bite and shake violently to tear off the food.

Sharks can bite and simply let go.

The even spacing of the lacerations indicate a shark bite  to me.

My close friend was bitten by a young Tiger shark in Australia many years ago and it was me who drove him to hospital. The cuts were the same , and the large laceration , where I think  the victim wriggled with fright , is almost identical to what I recall..

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Really ? You should read today's news more.

Nature cures itself. Not too long time ago Thai waters had sharks and all kinda fish. Then the Chinese population mainly overfished and kill whatever shark fins or similar had.

Thailand waters are getting clearer, despite of all negligence and efforts. This is good.

Some warning signs, nota bene shark nets could help a lot to convince the tourists. I am quite sure, this will never happens. Rocks.....

4 hours ago, denishuahin said:

There have been sharks around Hua Hin for years. There was a photo of one on the Jetty in about 2007, it was a Mako shark about 7 / 8  foot long which would put it in 2 to 300lbs area. The local gentry tried to cover it up and say that there are no sharks in the Andaman sea.  But Canadian Jim had the photo and showed it to us.  There are sharks everywhere and all sea's but attacks are rare.  Happy swimming ;-)  

Hua Hin is on the Gulf of Thailand not the Andaman Sea!

6 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I know this is a stab in the dark, but has anybody asked the person who was injured what happened? Why so quiet on this front?

I could almost guarantee he will know the difference between being bitten by a shark and being injured by rocks. 

.:whistling: 

Archived