"We're all going on a thieving holiday" - trader in Krabi offers 5,000 baht for Russians' capture

webfact

"We're all going on a thieving holiday" - trader in Krabi offers 5,000 baht for Russians' capture

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Thai female trader went online to vent her anger and offer a 5,000 baht reward for the return of her iPhone X after CCTV footage showed it being lifted by someone she believes to be Russian.

Em posted on her personal Facebook page of Netdao Wiwatratsamee that the thieves arrived as a family team. While mum and the kid asked to look at some clothes out front of the store in Ao Nang, Krabi, the husband coolly pinched the expensive phone that was on charge on a table.

"More thieving tourists," she complained in her post. "I only had the phone seven days and saved up for that. Don't let them get away with it".

The incident happened on Sunday night and Em believes that the Russians are still in town.

When Thai Rath contacted her yesterday a friend who is also a trader phoned her with a sighting but unfortunately the police lost the three of them in the crowds.

If you know who they are or can help call 06 4401 3311 or 08 0370 9973 (Em).

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-17

Before smart phones, most Thais, and especially market traders, wouldn't have anything of value to steal out in the open. Technology has created a level line across all cultures. If your going to spend that much on a phone you damned well better keep your eye on it. 

Well, even if she thinks she heard that they speak Russian it does not mean that those two are from Russia. Just some average Slavic couple, could be from anywhere from Kazakhstan to Poland.

If Find My Phone (or whatever service) does not work, she (or the police or anybody) can try to find those people on Social Media - there are Russian-speaking groups on Facebook. Those two look like tourists and someone could know them, there is a good chance. Then he/she/they can communicate the names to the police or to the airport security.

I hate phone thieves of all nationalities, I hope these thieves are caught and detained

and charged then banned from Thailand for at least 5 years. Even if the phone was

handy while being charged, there is no excuse for its theft.

Geezer

15 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I hate phone thieves of all nationalities, I hope these thieves are caught and detained

and charged then banned from Thailand for at least 5 years. Even if the phone was

handy while being charged, there is no excuse for its theft.

Geezer

The car thieves will be thankful you don't hate them too

I actually hate all thieves of all nationalities. I have had several things stolen

over the years, and one time I caught the thief in the act. He was a bit bruised

when the cops took him away, but since he was known to them no questions

were asked and he left the area when he got out of jail.

Geezer

17 hours ago, dictater said:

Before smart phones, most Thais, and especially market traders, wouldn't have anything of value to steal out in the open. Technology has created a level line across all cultures. If your going to spend that much on a phone you damned well better keep your eye on it. 

And know how to use the tracking facility included in the phone.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:18 AM, dictater said:

well that's kind of true but i keep hearing of foreigners nowadays getting caught for general theft too, shoplifting in the malls and stuff like that and no doubt these market traders have goods they are selling stolen too which is probably why she has the camera there. i have to say for general thefts like that i'd be more wary of foreigners than thais too. thais at least where i am often leave phones and laptops unattended in front of their houses as they know they won't be touched. if someone does steal and they are caught it's massive shame and they would be forced to leave the area so just not worth it. i do note that the perps in most thefts i hear about do seem to come from the same bunch of countries which i'll refrain from pointing out. you'd rarely see people from those countries (or backgrounds) in thailand 20 years ago which is why i think it really didn't used to happen very often in the past

On 4/19/2018 at 5:23 PM, izh said:

Update - police caught them:

http://www.tnews.co.th/index.php/contents/442148

Was probably wise off the shop owner to give a 5000 reward, police acted quickly. Can't make up the article, "Accidentally stolen iPhone X" :cheesy:

I have to admit I'm an Apple hater, but 47K for an IPhone X is that the price?? 

However, extort as much money out of those scum Russians as possible, so you're sure they'll wont be back. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 5:05 PM, cycolista said:

Why doesn't she just use the "Find my iPhone" function on the Apple website?  It'll show her exactly where the iPhone is.

Not if they turn it off and remove sim

If I'm not mistaken, and I often am, I believe it works from the GPS chip in the phone.
Don't think so but anyway wrapped in tin foil or kept in a metal box should keep out all signals...once secured in the bat cave remove the battery..which I believe is a bit of a job on i phones.

1 hour ago, cycolista said:

If I'm not mistaken, and I often am, I believe it works from the GPS chip in the phone.

Oh. I only know when I lost mine in Us in the trail went cold at the scene of the mugging

Don't think so but anyway wrapped in tin foil or kept in a metal box should keep out all signals...once secured in the bat cave remove the battery..which I believe is a bit of a job on i phones.
I'm going to add that the GPS could and can track the phone but it probably needs either a WiFi or Cellular/SIM connectivity to turn the "power hungry" GPS chip on.
In any case the phone in a closed metal box will stop any tracking.

22 hours ago, johng said:

I'm going to add that the GPS could and can track the phone but it probably needs either a WiFi or Cellular/SIM connectivity to turn the "power hungry" GPS chip on.
In any case the phone in a closed metal box will stop any tracking.

My phone battery ran out. Shotrly after it was lost. The police could do nothing. I could do nothing .Samsung could do nothing until the phone was taken to a Samsung shop for service/maintanance/battery replacement. The they could check the IEM I gave them.

Archived