Recommend a nice boutique hotel in Hanoi

giddyup

Been to Saigon a few times but never to Hanoi. Want to take my Thai partner for a few days and stay in the old quarter at a nice boutique style hotel. Prepared to spend up to A$100 a night, can I get a taste of luxury for that?

We  stayed in a former old Colonial mansion converted to a boutique hotel a few years back.    I located it through trip advisor and the poster even gave thought to spreading her treasure on  such a forum.   She didn't want it "discovered".    I don't remember the area where it's located. but I think it was around  140 USD at the time but I may be mistaken.  (+/-)

It had soundproofing such as I've never seen anywhere and the room was gigantic and included  a sitting room.      I'd look it up again if  and when I return to Hanoi.

I could only find it by checking  my agoda history and then only if it went back that far.

To add:    I once met a fellow  in Thailand, a hotel owner who told me he thought I was crazy to spend 11 days in Hanoi.    (That was all the time we had due to school obligations.)  He said it's a boring place not worth more than a two day visit.      

I'm of the mind he's utterly daft.   Hanoi is fascinating, charming and beautiful.

Edited by watcharacters

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

Ha'ng Ha'nh Street has a few good boutique hotels under $100.

Unfortunately the 2 I have used, Art Hotel and Golden Lake View, are both closed now.

This one looks pretty good for around $50 a night. https://www.booking.com/hotel/vn/damsels-hanoi-boutique.html?aid=364757&label=b63064796tyz

last July I stayed at the HM Boutique Hotel on Hang Dau (pronounced 'Zau')and I had the most expensive room on the top floor with a nice terrace, about USD70...I'm a smoker and all the hotels are strictly non smoking unless you got a balcony, etc...

the rest of the hotel wasn't what I'd call 'boutique', just a standard tourist flop but the rooms were much cheaper, about $40...fair brekkie buffet, I useta get avocados from the supermarket on the other side of the lake (also a good place for snacks, booze, wine, etc) and have one with the fresh baguettes; pho and eggs to order, etc...friendly and helpful staff...bakery and banh mi vendor closeby...

6 hours ago, watcharacters said:

To add:    I once met a fellow  in Thailand, a hotel owner who told me he thought I was crazy to spend 11 days in Hanoi.    (That was all the time we had due to school obligations.)  He said it's a boring place not worth more than a two day visit.      

I'm of the mind he's utterly daft.   Hanoi is fascinating, charming and beautiful.

hear, hear...utterly and totally daft...Hanoi is a great place, my favorite city in SE Asia...