SHARK ALERT: Hua Hin fisherman says not a question of 'if' but 'what kind' attacked tourist

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of information on the internet these days regarding shark bites & the treatments available...

but the net in Thailand is mainly used for games or posting trash!!

The good doctor (no blame intended) should use it a bit more often rather than relying on personal experiences alone!

1 hour ago, LuukKoeyKorat said:

You'll be happy to hear that I saw a family (pod?) of 4 dolphins coming up for air and swimming 50m off the Donsak ferry terminal on 31st March ! :smile:

Oh yess, THX for this information !!!

i have seen sharks 1 meter to 1.5 meter long when snorkeling on the east coast of Ko Tao. So why wouldn't they be wandering up north ?  Absolutely credible. 

Although the cut looks more like a slash, and it could easily have been caused by broken barnacles on rocks and the coral remains off the beach of Hua Hin. Myself I have slashed my lower legs once on some of these barnacles, they are razor sharp

8 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

What have speed boat experts got to do with a shark attack ?

I must be getting old.  I read that they were experts IN a speed boat, not speed boat experts!!

There are hundreds of sharks in Thailand, mostly off the islands.  People pay to 'swim with the sharks'.  There are umpteen videos of people swimming with sharks off Koh Tao, Krabi, Phuket and more.  There are stingrays in Thai waters as big as cars.  Nothing special about sharks.  These are tropical waters.  What do you expect?

9 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

What have speed boat experts got to do with a shark attack ?

"EXPERTS" in a "SPEEDBOAT" is a childish emphasis on the urgency they are dealing with it. Anyway, there is nothing to deal with. Shark attacks are very rare and according to this news report it is the first one of its kind. 

So, simply get on with it and let is pass, the guy was bitten and will have a nice scare and a story to tell his grandkids but he is obviously alive and well.

"Phichet Wongkai said that a year ago he had caught two bull sharks in his net each weighing 30-40 kilos..."

Yup, I wonder what happened to the two bull sharks.

I honestly hope they'd leave the sharks alone. We are in 'their territory', not the other way around. Toursists should be warned, and authorities may put up safety nets around areas where tourists normally swim. Apart from these, I really hope they leave the sharks to do whatever nature intended for them to do.

5 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

i have seen sharks 1 meter to 1.5 meter long when snorkeling on the east coast of Ko Tao. So why wouldn't they be wandering up north ?  Absolutely credible. 

Although the cut looks more like a slash, and it could easily have been caused by broken barnacles on rocks and the coral remains off the beach of Hua Hin. Myself I have slashed my lower legs once on some of these barnacles, they are razor sharp

No - it was a shark.

thai beach safety patrol or lifeguards have 00 experience with shark safety. if they did the beach where the guy was bit would have closed for the rest of the day then conditions reviewed next day.  oz and hawaii have very good water safety professionals

14 hours ago, nauseus said:

Yes, I am familiar with what they look like. 

Are you familar with the scrhatches from the Hua Hin rocks? The local doctors are, and see them quite often. Im still in doubt, but we will see when the accident emergency commission have finished their work if this was an shark attack or not. 

Next week we see 150 dead sharks pics together with all important officials in the district and national navy telling the beaches is safe again. 

15 hours ago, apetryxx said:

Perhaps some good pictures of the wound sent off to these folks would be of some help. 

That would be the best solution, time and money saver, if they managed to do that first of all. So far I have only seen a poor picture of the wound. 

16 hours ago, nauseus said:

The wounds in the pic are very consistent with a shark bite.

yes, the wound even look like a bite as can see the semi circle shape, from toes to lower shin.

The shark come at him from behind on the left side as he was swimming.

anyways, cant see how you can get those sort of wound, and on the TOP of foot like that from barnacle/rock?

i dont think the guy would be that stupid to be swimming near barnacled rocks anyway 

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

yes, the wound even look like a bite as can see the semi circle shape, from toes to lower shin.

The shark come at him from behind on the left side as he was swimming.

anyways, cant see how you can get those sort of wound, and on the TOP of foot like that from barnacle/rock?

i dont think the guy would be that stupid to be swimming near barnacled rocks anyway 

So with 400 sharks to choose from or the 14 species in Thai waters all with different teeth for different diets which species do think  made the bite on that man's foot?

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Are you familar with the scrhatches from the Hua Hin rocks? The local doctors are, and see them quite often. Im still in doubt, but we will see when the accident emergency commission have finished their work if this was an shark attack or not. 

Next week we see 150 dead sharks pics together with all important officials in the district and national navy telling the beaches is safe again. 

Like I said, I am familiar with what shark bites look like. And "scratches" from rocks and coral. I'd put money on the shark.

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

That would be the best solution, time and money saver, if they managed to do that first of all. So far I have only seen a poor picture of the wound. 

It was good enough. How much detail do you want?

It is an dead end discussion of amatours included me, and just have to wait anyone with proper information and proofs. 

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It was good enough. How much detail do you want?

Where? 

Anyway it is a dead end discussion. People on site, doctors, good pictures, experts on  shark bites, and the person himself will hopefully solve this mystery, and I will accept the outcome. Until then, I will still swim in Hua Hin waters, or any shark infected waters in or around Thailand. 

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It is an dead end discussion of amatours included me, and just have to wait anyone with proper information and proofs. 

Where? 

Anyway it is a dead end discussion. People on site, doctors, good pictures, experts on  shark bites, and the person himself will hopefully solve this mystery, and I will accept the outcome. Until then, I will still swim in Hua Hin waters, or any shark infected waters in or around Thailand. 

Don't forget the Dettol!

Archived