Firewood

cmsoulbrother

Hi, does anyone know where to buy firewood - preferably fruit tree or hard wood in large quantitied for use as bbq fuel?

Any help might save me from baking as I will probably otherwise start driving the highways.

thanks

Look for a place selling wood/bamboo for construction, easily identifiable by the horizontal stacks of 3-4 metre-long wooden poles sorted by diameter. Diameters range up to about 8 inches, and cost about 20-40 baht each. Some places can cut it down into pieces. One such place is just north of Mae Jo Uni. At the lighted intersection to the road going left to Mae Rim, you'll see it on the corner. Many others are along the main road heading north into Mae Taeng.

Also, if you're cruising south of town around Hang Dong or Sanpatong, look for small roadside wood carving factories. Lots of wood chips around there, to be sure. Check in any lychee orchard or such. Lots of trimming being done this time of year, too

Where can I find a decent BBQ/smoker around here?

Look out for the sacks of charcoal along the highway.

Stop and check the prices.

For many BBQ's, charcoal is where the heat comes from, and various wood chips are often added on top of the coals (the chips are presoaked in various liquids so they burn slowly on the coals, and produce more smoke than heat... Mekhong Wiskey has a great smell) This is mostly for the slow cookers/smokers, rather than simply grilling a steak on a BBQ...

Hey, it feels like it must be dinner time.... :o

Next time you drop in, have a look at mine, hiding outside the kitchen door. Can hot and cool smoke.

But beware of Teak wood. I've heard the oils can be strongly carcinogenic if it is used in smoking.

thanks for all the advice.I will take a drive out hang dong way to find some chips.

...After you pass through the main Hang Dong intersection (where you first slow down from the hiway), maybe 1 kilometer south there will be a right turn to Sanpatong. If you were to have come from, lets say, Suthep road, and traveled south along the klong road as far as you could possibly go, you'd arrive at this intersection, and frankly, I think it's a more interesting drive, with much less traffic...

Anyway, about 3 kilometers West of the hiway, or about 1 kilometer along the klong road after the klong road going south turns to the East (Are you still with me? :o

This is where there are maybe half a dozen small wood factories along with a few wannabe showrooms, all alongside the road. They see few foreign tourists, so maybe that's why they seem so friendly and relaxed :D

Based on Ajarn’s recommendation above, we took the drive to this area via the canal road. We had a very good time. Everything is very green and it certainly has that “out in the country” feel. We visited a few of the wood carving shops and found the prices lower that we have seen elsewhere.

Highly recommended for a pleasant 2-4 hours.

Bill

Based on Ajarn’s recommendation above, we took the drive to this area via the canal road.  We had a very good time.  Everything is very green and it certainly has that “out in the country” feel.  We visited a few of the wood carving shops and found the prices lower that we have seen elsewhere.

Highly recommended for a pleasant 2-4 hours.

Bill

I like the green time of the year, too. That road has some interesting offshoots to explore, if you have such a notion.

Bill, have you traveled around the area much? One of my favorite 3-4 hour drives is the 'Samoeng Loop' (about 80 km's, total)...Out Chotana, left through Mae Sae Valley, Pongyang village, Samoeng, then back along road 1269, which goes around the backside of Doi Suthep, and ends at the Cm/Hang Dong hiway, just a lttle south of the airport. Maybe 90% of all the local attractions and tourist traps are along this route, but it's still a civilized and beautiful drive, good paved road, with lots of choices for stopping...Tourist stuff (elephants and ATV's, etc.), restaurants, swimming, many beautiful gardens to explore, discovering places for your Dream House...

And it's beautifully green this time of the year... :o

Ajarn, I haven’t traveled around the CM area much yet; Elaine and I have only been here for about 6 months.. We are back in the US now for a short visit but we will take the 'Samoeng Loop' as soon as we return and report our findings.

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I really appreciate how many of the ‘old hands’ are willing to share their experiences with the newbies.

Bill

Ajarn, I haven’t traveled around the CM area much yet; Elaine and I have only been here for about 6 months..  We are back in the US now for a short visit but we will take the 'Samoeng Loop' as soon as we return and report our findings.

Thank you very much for the recommendation.  I really appreciate how many of the ‘old hands’ are willing to share their experiences with the newbies.

Bill

:D And I thought I'd see you this Wed..... :o

I've always wondered what makes an old hand. I do know that on some topics I'm more of an old dinosaur :D

• 6 years later...