Shark attack confirmed - officials visit victim and announce counter measures

snoop1130

13 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Because some  local politician now says it was a shark because someone has a video taken on another day doesn't make it a shark attack. The physicians who examined the injury say it wasn't a shark. The broken bones and absence of ripped or torn or shredded flesh suggest other than a shark bite.

How about asking a marine biologist who has knowledge of sharks, especially the alleged type, to review the documentation? There will have been close up pictures. Either there were tooth marks or there were not. So far no report of teeth marks. One other little detail not mentioned, when sharks bite, they can and do leave their teeth behind in the subject. They have rows and rows of teeth. No teeth were were reported as recovered. What's so difficult in asking an actual qualified person?

I have a hunch that this is just be an excuse to go wipe out the endangered shark population and to push back against the attempts to remove shark fin from menus.

Still investigating the incident due to BKK post this morning, and no statement about what happend yet.

If doctors wrong I change hospital! 

(Ironic)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

How about asking a marine biologist who has knowledge of sharks, especially the alleged type, to review the documentation? There will have been close up pictures. Either there were tooth marks or there were not. So far no report of teeth marks. One other little detail not mentioned, when sharks bite, they can and do leave their teeth behind in the subject. They have rows and rows of teeth. No teeth were were reported as recovered. What's so difficult in asking an actual qualified person?

With all due respect GK, would it not be better to believe the poor chap who got bit instead of involving marine biologists for what was, although pretty bloody, a relatively minor encounter with a predator?

Or not if the victim is not to be believed.

I read that the signs say do no go out past 20 meters...It is over my head at 6 meters as the shore drops off quickly there.

On the Bkk Post there is a good video of sharks at the temple just around the rocky head. Think I will take a ride out and look.

I post pics of the beach on another thread.

Whatever it is, it may happen at any beach. Apart from the marine biologists, I think himself could say clearly what hurt him unless it was in the night.

Of course, it needs attention, but I do not believe anybody will do more than a couple of nice, smiling pictures.

13 minutes ago, joebrown said:

" His Thai wife Amornrat Phaengnga is in close attendance."

I can't see her on the photo. I suppose there's a limit to how many VIPs can fit into a room for such a PR stunt.

There is a head showing in the left side of the picture behind all the men in the foreground. It appears to be a Thai woman. Maybe this is his wife.

Shark attack:  "We can't remember there ever being a shark attack!"
Road fatalities/injuries in 7 days: 378 killed / 3575 injured

OMG!!! Put up signs and shark nets!!!  :vampire:  <lions and tigers and bears oh my>

(I wonder how many thousand will be killed and how many millions will be injured on Thai roads before the next shark attack at Hua Hin?)  :glare:

Is any one here old enough to remember those "shark repellent" packs that were in the kits along with your life vest that the US Navy issued in the 1940s and 1950s ? I think that they found out that all it did was add a bit of flavoring to the sharks food chain.

So the governments attempts to frame this as a simple rock injury to protect tourism failed.  There are and always have been sharks in the Gulf of Thailand.  Fortunately they are harmless for the most part.  

I think this poor fellow accidentally stepped on a shark and the shark defended itself.  This is a risk that we all take every time we enter salt water.

Most likely the shark was a black tipped reef shark, not a bull shark.

The BTR shark is very common here.. the most common shark.  It also lives in shallow water close to the shore... and is the right size to make that size and shape bite mark.

In some areas of the world the local fisherman always swim in the shallow water, rather than wading through it because it is common for these sharks to mistake peoples feet for fish and bite them.  When swimming the shark does not see humans as prey.. and is even timid and scared of people.

I have some knowledge about sharks and other marine life as I am a qualified zoologist (but not marine biologist).  

15 hours ago, evadgib said:

Known in some circles as 'the Hokey Cokey' (in-out-in-out-photo-all-about!), the primary purpose of which is not for the benefit of whoever happens to be in the bed when the door flies open...

Reminds me of several years ago , might of been the BKK floods.  There were soapy stars and pop idols all dressed up handing out goodies and smiling for the cameras . Their moment of fame. Got me a tad miffed.

1 hour ago, joebrown said:

" His Thai wife Amornrat Phaengnga is in close attendance."

I can't see her on the photo. I suppose there's a limit to how many VIPs can fit into a room for such a PR stunt.

Was presuming she was the one who took the photo :)

Or perhaps she was off getting everyone cold water and coffee?

15 hours ago, jvs said:

It was a shark attack,do you think the authorities would say so if it was not?

Signs put up for no reason?

It was the first attack and maybe the last also but the government does need to warn the public.

Warn the public? That there are things in the ocean that can injure or kill you? Sharkes, eels, sea snakes, spiny urchins and on and on.

Perhaps large billboards with photos of the  carnage on Thai roads would serve a better purpose. That is where the real danger is.

Leading the well wishers was deputy Prajuab Khirikhan governor Chotnarin Kertsom, officials from disaster mitigation, the military, the police, the public health department, department of coastal resources, the Hua Hin district chief, the mayor and, Banmuang reported, many others

PR damage control in full action !!!

Message to tourists... Hua Hin is safe but please don't feed the sharks !

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"When I recover I'll be back in the sea," he said adding bravely: "No shark is going to stop me!" I think a Great White would !.

regards worgeordie

Probably  whispered demand in his ear  from Thai Authority's..........:smile:.....(free hospital bill...?)....

15 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Because some  local politician now says it was a shark because someone has a video taken on another day doesn't make it a shark attack. The physicians who examined the injury say it wasn't a shark. The broken bones and absence of ripped or torn or shredded flesh suggest other than a shark bite.

I have a hunch that this is just be an excuse to go wipe out the endangered shark population and to push back against the attempts to remove shark fin from menus.

Thanks so much for solving that your a star.
Ok, all get back in the water the coast is clear one of our resident tv members has solved another case !!!!  

LOL...now the shark nay sayers are coming up with square jaws and any other excuse for it not being a shark as even the Thais are admitting it was and putting up signs. There is only one thing funnier than an old fool and that's an obstinate old fool.. Keep it up, its very entertaining. 

16 hours ago, jvs said:

It was a shark attack,do you think the authorities would say so if it was not?

Signs put up for no reason?

It was the first attack and maybe the last also but the government does need to warn the public.

so you are an expert, a marine biologist?

13 hours ago, Yme said:

Um, that would be the same source that says "In Thailand, there has only been a single confirmed case of a shark attack in the last 500 years!"

But Shark Attack: Norwegian Man Mauled at Thai Beach (video) says:

"In 2015 a 37-year-old Queensland, Australia woman, Jane Neame, suffered non-life threatening injuries when bitten by a shark at Karon Beach, Phuket, and in 2013 a 38-year-old German tourist, Stephan Kahl from Hamburg, died after suffering two major bite wounds which cut an artery on his right calf at Tharn Sadet Bay, off a small island near Surat Thani Province."

"the shark having totally torn away his Achilles tendon; a similar injury to that suffered by Ms Neame in 2015."

That article you referenced/linked is BS and way out of date. Bull Sharks are not rare here in Thailand and especially in the Gulf.  They dive off a small outcrop hear Samui where there are many.  PLUS they are very, very aggressive and can adapt to many different conditions. It is possibly the only species of shark unless it was a baby Tiger shark that could have inflicted those type of wounds.  Speedy recovery to the man, He now goes into a small group that have survived a shark attack, not something I ever hope to join.

Archived