Regency Assurance

ThaiPauly

Has anyone had any dealings with the above Health Insurance company ?,

I have contacted a broker regarding insurance and they are pushing the above. Their prices are under 2/3rds of what Cigna want.

I have not been through exclusions with them yet, I just wanted to know if anyone had had any dealings with them and are you happy with their service?

Cheers

I haven't had on feedback on them yet, as I think they are fairly new.

Has the broker explained to you why he recommends this policy for  you? And given you a chart or list of various policies with comparison points so you can see the differences?  If not, he should (if he doesn't, change brokers).

Some points to determine:

1. Do they have direct billing arrangement with most Thai hospitals?

2., Is lifelong renewal (assuming you make the payments) guranateed?

3. Are premium increases based only on age or will your state of health and claims history be a factor?

Let me know what you find out, I will be interested

I'll know more when they call me tomorrow Sheryl, at present I am just asking about them as they are the cheapest.

Cigna want 3,300 GBP a year with loads of pre-existing conditions, these people are much cheaper, but I am long in the tooth enough to know that cheaper does not always mean better, and I don't know what pre-existing conditions they will cover?

I'll post more tomorrow

Regency doesn't cover any pre-existing conditions and based on the experience of one of my friends, will work very hard to fight every claim as being related to a pre-existing condition.  You can find other international health insurance companies that will cover pre-existing conditions if you go for a certain period of time (like 3 - 5 years) without any new problems related to a previous event. 

My friend felt that the sales rep in Bangkok misrepresented the situation about Regency and pre-existing conditions, but it's plainly spelled out on Regency's website:

https://www.regencyforexpats.com/AboutUs/HealthFAQs

and on page 40 of their International Health Insurance Brochure, which he could have downloaded from this page on the Regency website:  https://www.regencyforexpats.com/Downloads/Index

As Sheryl says, a good independent insurance broker should present you with options and comparison points and then you should spend some time doing your own research like I recently did for my friend AFTER he bought the Regency policy and was left with many unpaid medical bills.

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Do many insurers cover pre-existing conditions?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No. None of them do. But there can be differences in interpretation of someone's medical history and definition of  what is considered pre-existing condition. And some insurers, for some conditions, will waive the exclusion if the condition is fully resolved and remains so for X years.

You really do not know until you have completed the application process, what an underwriter will decide in terms of exclusions. but I can assure OP that absolutely no insurer will cover him for his bowel condition or anything related to it since it is a current and still unresolved issue.

Cigna BTW in my experience is one of the most reasonable with regard to pre-exisitng conditions, as long as it is something that has fully resolved or is well controlled. So I do not understand  what OP means by "loads of pre-existing conditions".

Sheryl,

The pre-existing conditions from Cigna off the top of my head are

Ulcerative Colitis

Diebetis

Hypertension

Right ankle.

It does not really leave much to cover, they do not say how diebetis or hypertension will affect me, but I would assume that anything to do with my heart will not be covered, even though these days my BP is perfectly normal and when I had what turned out to be a panic attack 6 months ago the surgeon said my heart was in really good condition. Yes agreed anything to do with my bowel, colon, stomach pancreas will not be covered. I presume I would have to disclose the recent scare I had with a blood clot to my brain so that cuts down the benefits a great deal more!

That really only leaves lung or liver cancer (I quit smoking some time ago), and don't drink much these days.

Having read what has kindly been posted hear by Nancy and a pm from another member I am loathe to pay for insurance. I have 4m baht put away for medical emergencies and I don't really see the point in spending vast amounts in premiums only to be refused treatment and my cover is very limited.

Anyway, the broker is calling me this morning and I will see what he has to say, I won't go with Regency thanks to the warnings I have received, no wonder thay are the cheapest by a long way, but Cigna is cheaper through the broker , so I will see what happens.

Would you agree with me Sheryl that I could be better off self-funding?

23 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Sheryl,

Ulcerative Colitis

Diebetis

Hypertension

Right ankle.

It does not really leave much to cover, they do not say how diebetis or hypertension will affect me, but I would assume that anything to do with my heart will not be covered, even though these days my BP is perfectly normal and when I had what turned out to be a panic attack 6 months ago the surgeon said my heart was in really good condition. Yes agreed anything to do with my bowel, colon, stomach pancreas will not be covered. I presume I would have to disclose the recent scare I had with a blood clot to my brain so that cuts down the benefits a great deal more!

That really only leaves lung or liver cancer (I quit smoking some time ago), and don't drink much these days.

Having read what has kindly been posted hear by Nancy and a pm from another member I am loathe to pay for insurance. I have 4m baht put away for medical emergencies and I don't really see the point in spending vast amounts in premiums only to be refused treatment and my cover is very limited.

Anyway, the broker is calling me this morning and I will see what he has to say, I won't go with Regency thanks to the warnings I have received, no wonder thay are the cheapest by a long way, but Cigna is cheaper through the broker , so I will see what happens.

Would you agree with me Sheryl that I could be better off self-funding?

Its all a complete rip off after 65 or so

Friend,aged 72 had bit of problem with heart,felt tired etc.   ,went to PBH, do not know exact words they told him,bit too quiet for his own good at times, anyway in and operated on ,main aorta valve,he opted for cows valve 1.25 mil.....two hours away finest heart surgery team told him costing there less than 2000GBP, cost of valve not inc.  Its all a damned rip off,he is quieter than ever now

ThaiPauly, you may wish to consider getting a good accident insurance policy instead of a comprehensive health insurance policy to cover you if you got into a big smash-up.   The policy you're considering would cover you if you got into an event where you had multiple broken bones and a long hospital stay, but so would a good accident insurance policy and they're cheaper. 

And it's possible to experience an event here that results in multiple broken bones even if you don't drive a motorcycle or engage in anything especially risky.  Just walking down the footpaths here in Chiang Mai have resulted in this type of event for people in here, especially if they're older.   (and maybe not fully aware that the footpaths are open to use by motorcycles) 

Yes Nancy, I have considered this. I think you posted that Bangkok Bank in Kad Son Gow (spelling sorry) offer 200.000 baht cover for just 7,000 baht a year, but only at that branch and you don't need to be a customer, is that correct?

Just now, ThaiPauly said:

Yes Nancy, I have considered this. I think you posted that Bangkok Bank in Kad Son Gow (spelling sorry) offer 200.000 baht cover for just 7,000 baht a year, but only at that branch and you don't need to be a customer, is that correct?

Yes, but that's not really a comprehensive accident insurance policy.  When you talk with the independent insurance agent, ask him about accident insurance also.  There are other policies with much higher coverage limits.  

5 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Sheryl,

Ulcerative Colitis

Diebetis

Hypertension

Right ankle.

This is not making sense to me.

Did you complete an application for Cigna and get a response? If so how exactly are the exclusions worded? They would be more specific than what you have listed here.

23 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I haven't had on feedback on them yet, as I think they are fairly new.

Has the broker explained to you why he recommends this policy for  you? And given you a chart or list of various policies with comparison points so you can see the differences?  If not, he should (if he doesn't, change brokers).

Some points to determine:

1. Do they have direct billing arrangement with most Thai hospitals?

2., Is lifelong renewal (assuming you make the payments) guranateed?

3. Are premium increases based only on age or will your state of health and claims history be a factor?

Let me know what you find out, I will be interested

... and, is the 60%? lower premium for a very low level of benefits?

How do their premiums compare for a level of benefits which covers stay in hospital / total number of days covered, doctors and nursing services etc., for example, at a typical Thai 3 or 4 star hospital? 

I looked at their website. Are their policies:

- Specifically for expats who are on posting by their employer to work and live in another country? 

- For foreigners now living 'permenantly' in another country?

Maybe the above makes a difference? 

They seem to cover up to $1 million US which is fine.

OP - nothing that has been said here casts a negative light on Regency - their policies re pre-exisitng conditions are normal and common to all insurers.

Does  cast soem doubt on the quality of advise yo uare getting from your broker, though.

NO INSURER is going to cover your ulcertaive colitis or anything directly related to ti. Most insurers will also exclude diabetes but if it is very well controlled and you have had no complications related to it, some might. Any insurer will put in exclusiond for someone with poorly controlled or sever hypertension or who has already experienced complications  related to hypertension. Some will not put in exclusions if the hypertension is mild, well controlled and there have never been associated complications.

As to self insuring the question is: are you really able to do it? Contrary to what many TV members seem to believe self-insuring is NOT simply going uninsured, planning t pay out of pocket and just hoping you will have enough money.  Are you able to put aside at least 3 million baht solely for use in paying medical costs, and replenish it as it is used?

, well controlled hyoertension

Sheryl,

Yes I have 4m baht available now which is just for medical cover. I can replenish it if i desperately needed to by liquidating one of the properties I own in the UK.

The issue with Regency is that I have heard from two people that they have had problems getting bills paid, that's just what you don't need when you are ill.

I will have to discuss pre-existing conditions with them when they contact me....IF they contact me I had a telephone call booked with them for 10am this morning , they have not contacted me , and yesterday did so from an unknown number.

55 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Well they never called so I suppose that's it, I must have put them off to the responses to their questions. Maybe it was a scam, who knows?

No, it's not a scam, it's just that you have to read the fine print and have realistic expectations of what insurance will do.   If you're from a country that has a nationalized health care system, then you've probably never had to deal with the realities of purchasing insurance or the consequences of what can happen if you don't have insurance.  It may just be that the independent agent didn't want to spend the time trying to educate you if appeared you had unrealistic expectations.

• 4 months later...

I realise that this discussion on Regency but an agent has been in contact with me to have health insurance with them. I'm 66 and the premium [only inpatient] is 110,000baht per annum.

A couple of exclusions that I didn't realise  were:

1. A quick trip on a motorcycle taxi, without a helmet, and then an accident .......equals no cover. I don't own/drive a motorcycle so I don't possess a helmet to carry with me at all times [just in case I need to use a motorcycle taxi]

2. Any claim involving me taking part in manual labour.. I'll have to discuss this further with the agent. It could cover a lot of work done around the house???

^^^

42. Any claim arising as a result of your use of a two-wheeled motor vehicle unless: 1) As a passenger you wear a crash helmet and it is reasonable for you to believe that the driver holds a license to drive the twowheeled motor vehicle under the laws of the country in which the accident occurs (if such a license is required under the laws of the country in which the accident occurs);

or 2) As a driver you wear a crash helmet and you hold a license which permits you to drive the two-wheeled motor vehicle under the laws of the country in which the accident occurs and you have arranged adequate motor vehicle insurance coverage (if such a license and or insurance is required under the laws of the country in which the accident occurs).

43. Any claim arising as a result of you participating in motor racing, rally or vehicle racing of any kind.

44. Any claim involving you taking part in manual labour

44 is odd and I share your concern re how it might be interpreted unless elsewhere in the policy document it gives a definition which limits this to paid work.  Most policy documents have a list of definitions.

42 is clear and would indeed exclude injuries from accident as a mototaxi passenger. Not all insurance policies have this exclusion. I just checked the exclusions in my Cigna policy, for example, and not there. (Nor is the "manual labor" bit).

Since you need to use mototaxis, I suggest you look elsewhere.  Do not limit your search to Thai companies. A good broker can help you get a policy best suited to your needs.

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

44 is odd and I share your concern re how it might be interpreted unless elsewhere in the policy document it gives a definition which limits this to paid work.  Most policy documents have a list of definitions.

42 is clear and would indeed exclude injuries from accident as a mototaxi passenger. Not all insurance policies have this exclusion. I just checked the exclusions in my Cigna policy, for example, and not there. (Nor is the "manual labor" bit).

Since you need to use mototaxis, I suggest you look elsewhere. 

Thank you Sheryl.

There is no "manual labour" in the definitions so they could just rely on any English dictionary definition.

Even so, the motorcycle clause will make me look elsewhere.

• 2 months later...

As a warning about this company for all of you!

I had a motorbike accident and filed a claim for them. They denied the claim because they said I´m not allowed to drive a motorbike in Thailand with my driving license. I have a Thai driving license for motorbike which is "temporary" for 2 years first(like it is for everybody). They say that with this temporary driving license I´m not allowed to drive a motorbike over 110cc...

They also said that because I was not the owner of the motorbike I´m not able to get my bills paid from them. They stated that My motorbike insurance is not valid because of this and they are also not going to pay me because of this. Funny thing is that I already had my outpatient bills paid by the motorbike insurance so clearly they are very wrong about this.

I have checked from couple of other insurance companies and they have guaranteed that the license I got is valid and I don´t have to be the owner of the motorbike if case like this happens with them.

So I would be very careful before signing with Regency for expats!

They also don´t have any direct billing with hospitals in Thailand in my knowledge. Actually the hospital staff told me that they have never got guaranty of payment from this insurance company.

• 6 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 7:08 PM, NancyL said:

No, it's not a scam, it's just that you have to read the fine print and have realistic expectations of what insurance will do.   If you're from a country that has a nationalized health care system, then you've probably never had to deal with the realities of purchasing insurance or the consequences of what can happen if you don't have insurance.  It may just be that the independent agent didn't want to spend the time trying to educate you if appeared you had unrealistic expectations.

This is just another Scam and I'm from America where we finally got Obamacare in 2014 a hybrid form of socialized medicine with cover for pre existing conditions; No Medical Ins in Thailand covers any kind of pre existing condition (or they will try to deny your claim if the ins company thinks it's in any way related to a pre existing condition). Now that immigration is talking about requiring medical insurance and If the Thai government was serious about welcoming retired expats they would create a plan for expats including some kind of provision for pre existing conditions, or force private insurance companies participating in this 'scheme' to do so. I just reviewed a plan from Regency Insurance (an offshore company) designed for the new retirement visa rules 40k outpatient/400k inpatient and it had 4 pages of exclusions, 66 items (I was just wondering if this plan actually covered anything as I about fell out of my chair). And if you question any or most Sales Agents they will lie and say whatever to close the deal and get you to enroll. The Regency plan cost was US$1278 for my age 64.

Also note, taking preventative cholesterol lowering meds is considered a pre existing "blood vessel" condition and you will be denied payment for heart attack or stroke and anything related to these conditions (even if you get a recent blood test which shows normal levels of cholesterol), of coarse the Agent will never tell you this upfront. There are 5 other Thai medical ins companies offering plans for the retirement visa starting at 51,000 Thai baht a year for my age through Pacific Cross, you can view all the plans/links here: Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa

I would suggest the OP consider Seven Corners renewable Travel insurance from America, it at least has a clause to cover $50K for pre existing conditions, but no outpatient plan. Or leave Thailand if they continue to implement these ignorant onerous new rules. I had a Lacunar stroke 2 years ago, lived in Thailand over 12 years and because of my health I am seriously contemplating leaving after I turn 65, become eligible for Medicare in America and say goodbye/good riddance to the so called 'Land of Smiles'

As a warning about this company for all of you!

I had a motorbike accident and filed a claim for them. They denied the claim because they said I´m not allowed to drive a motorbike in Thailand with my driving license. I have a Thai driving license for motorbike which is "temporary" for 2 years first(like it is for everybody). They say that with this temporary driving license I´m not allowed to drive a motorbike over 110cc...

They also said that because I was not the owner of the motorbike I´m not able to get my bills paid from them. They stated that My motorbike insurance is not valid because of this and they are also not going to pay me because of this. Funny thing is that I already had my outpatient bills paid by the motorbike insurance so clearly they are very wrong about this.

I have checked from couple of other insurance companies and they have guaranteed that the license I got is valid and I don´t have to be the owner of the motorbike if case like this happens with them.

So I would be very careful before signing with Regency for expats!

They also don´t have any direct billing with hospitals in Thailand in my knowledge. Actually the hospital staff told me that they have never got guaranty of payment from this insurance company.
Regency for Expats have direct billing with most Thai hospitals. I had no issues with making 2 claims within a month.

However their "Semi-private" room policy is nonsense as most decent hospitals only have private rooms.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, rainwater said:

....... No Medical Ins in Thailand covers any kind of pre existing condition (or they will try to deny your claim if the ins company thinks it's in any way related to a pre existing condition).

The issue is not "medical insurance in Thailand" (which if you go with an international company is identical to medical insurance in any other country not your own).

It is medical insurance in general.  They all exclude pre-existing conditions or provide limited cover or impose an added premium for them unless legislation prevents them from doing so.

But companies do vary-- a lot --  in what they view as a significant  pre-existing condition.

Archived