YouTube star slams rip-off taxi driver

webfact

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

simoh1490: Interesting that when the Baht was at 75 and 80 per Pound we never ever heard or saw debates such as this on Thai visa Forum, not once. But now the Baht is roughly 43 to the Pound they are a regular occurrence, it's like selective arguments based on the degree of weakness of the posters home currency. Oh I forgot, it's the principle of the issue, not the money - or was it the morality of the issue, says the western foreigner in Bangkok! Principles and morals my tush, some folks think they're still back home and or are too cheap by far.

The only "principle" driving Mr Righteous Young American Youtuber/Facebooker is that which impels him to head out for footage which can be used to incite sufficient social media outrage to earn some extra $ to pay the rent of his BKK apartment. Hope it's nice and comfortable there. Beats driving a taxi in the heat day after day, eh? 

High moral ground on which to stand, indeed. :saai:

3 hours ago, sambum said:

Tipping - either to taxi drivers or waitresses should be a way of showing your gratitude for a job well done. These days it seems to be accepted as part of the package - whether that is a journey from A to B, or a steak and chips. When I go out to a Thai restaurant with my Thai wife, she always tells me not to leave a tip - "No need " she says. However, being a westerner, I am used to leaving a tip when the meal and service deserve it.

What does annoy me however, (and I refuse to pay it!) is the "compulsory"  "Service Charge" that some restaurants try to add on to the end of the bill (and also VAT)  Unless it is on the menu, in which case I have to accept it, but usually all I have to say is "Sorry, but there's nothing on the menu to indicate service charge or VAT " and usually the waiter/waitress will either scrub it themselves, ask me to sign the deleted item, or take it to the pay desk for the Manager/Manageress to rectify.

You do realise not all western countries tip? Don't you?

17 minutes ago, darhut said:

You do realise not all western countries tip? Don't you?

I do indeed! I am only talking from my own perspective, and I use the term "westerner" as opposed to "easterner" or "oriental" or "asian" or ............... whatever!

So the point that I am making would be even more annoying to someone from a Western country that didn't tip! 

7 hours ago, sambum said:

I do indeed! I am only talking from my own perspective, and I use the term "westerner" as opposed to "easterner" or "oriental" or "asian" or ............... whatever!

So the point that I am making would be even more annoying to someone from a Western country that didn't tip! 

I was referring to this quote from you "However, being a westerner, I am used to leaving a tip when the meal and service deserve it."

It suggests that all western countries have a tipping policy, which of cause they don't. 

I was referring to this quote from you "However, being a westerner, I am used to leaving a tip when the meal and service deserve it."
It suggests that all western countries have a tipping policy, which of cause they don't. 

Out of interest,which Western countries are you referring to that don't have a tipping policy?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Out of interest,which Western countries are you referring to that don't have a tipping policy?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Sweden, Italy, Iceland, France, Finland, Denmark, Belgium etc.

Maybe Sambum could have used his actual nationality that tips, for example 

"However, being American, I am used to leaving a tip when the meal and service deserve it."

Looks like some of the negative comments are attributable more to Danny Mac being;

1. Young & buff;

2. Fluent in Thai;

3. Assertive, yet polite.

I too am a bit envious of this guy. I am not going to the gym, have been over indulging at hotels and airline lounges etc., and certainly have no fluency in Thai like him. Rather than blast him  for his douche fashion sense, I admire his pluck.  He's standing up for himself. Good on him.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Looks like some of the negative comments are attributable more to Danny Mac being;

1. Young & buff;

2. Fluent in Thai;

3. Assertive, yet polite.

I too am a bit envious of this guy. I am not going to the gym, have been over indulging at hotels and airline lounges etc., and certainly have no fluency in Thai like him. Rather than blast him  for his douche fashion sense, I admire his pluck.  He's standing up for himself. Good on him.

And Ronald Mc Donald too.

2 hours ago, darhut said:

Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Sweden, Italy, Iceland, France, Finland, Denmark, Belgium etc.

"However, being American, I am used to leaving a tip when the meal and service deserve it."

France and Italy tip and expect tips when I have been there, so does Spain!..... In Norway, a tip was waved away!....I know Japan is not a tipping culture and nor is Singapore.

Yes, in the USA, tipping is part of the culture I believe although never been. I have been twice in Canada.

I thought it was very much ' frowned upon ' not to tip in the USA as in effect it was an essential part of service staff wages. I have heard, however, that in the U.S. that the service although not genuine in the words they use, (throwaway stuff like Have a nice day, Be careful out there, etc etc) is very good to outstanding as North Americans can be very service minded.

I found service in Canada excellent.

18 hours ago, soistalker said:

Not one satang extra, that's my motto. 

Some who have come here have done so because they simply couldn't afford life in a Western country and so every satang counts for them, all the more reason to tighten up the visa regs in my opinion, Thailand doesn't need hard up immigrants.

2 hours ago, darhut said:

Some of those countries actually have a compulsory service charge added to the bill, talk about what you know about.

Switzerland it is always included in the bill.

Denmark it is also included in the bill.

Belgium it is also included in the bill.

Sweden it is often added to the bill but if not it is still expected.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Some of those countries actually have a compulsory service charge added to the bill, talk about what you know about.

Switzerland it is always included in the bill.

Denmark it is also included in the bill.

Belgium it is also included in the bill.

Sweden it is often added to the bill but if not it is still expected.

Who mentioned compulsory service charge?

I said tip, a tip is something you give voluntarily not compulsory.

Please try to keep up and keep on subject.

Problems with taxi's in Bangkok are legendary- first trip back  5 decades ago- no meters then- bargained- price agreed- at destination price increased.  Since then, - same situation; don't want to use meter; refused to go to destination; meter used but was rigged; driver complained the whole way about the traffic or the meter; driver went half way and said get out; driver was high on Meth;  Driver tied to break the windshield ;Driver was drunk; driver was angry because I closed the taxi door too hard and complained in Thai he hated foreigners; and the beat goes on. However, after many hundreds of trips -most went well but the ones that didn't really stand out.

The problem is that the taxi fare is too low  for the traffic conditions; the taxi rental fee is too high; and the drivers have to work long hours to make a profit. They are prone to anger; drinking; taking meth and just generally irritated over the traffic. The solution is raise the rates; adjust the meters to take into consideration traffic issues; crackdown on the taxi owners to screen the drivers; and improve the road conditions.  I can't see any of this happening so we just have to grin and bear it.  If the driver refuses to use the meter or appears 'high'- I walk away and get another one.

14 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Never noticed Manuel in Faulty Towers get a Tip. I dont like it when they Pool Tips. Its for the one who served us well,!

Fine, don't like what other people do with their money, just don't start thinking it's interesting.

41 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

This kid falls into the "do you know who I am" category for 'internet star' farangs.

Was there only one taxi?

For someone that speaks Thai he seems pretty dumb.

:post-4641-1156693976:

One taxi, one driver, now bearing the wrath of thousands of foreigners living cheaply in Thailand with pent-up taxi rage.

One smug American digital nomad sitting back in his Bangkok apartment checking the hit count on his Youtube channel and Facebook page.

3 hours ago, EyeOfRa said:

One taxi, one driver, now bearing the wrath of thousands of foreigners living cheaply in Thailand with pent-up taxi rage.

One smug American digital nomad sitting back in his Bangkok apartment checking the hit count on his Youtube channel and Facebook page.

Nail on the head! A bit like the "my mate Nate" idiot.

I have little sympathy for either of them, as I said earlier.

Taxi driver was wrong though, and he took advantage rather than get another cab.

More clicks = more money.

:thumbsup:

On 4/18/2018 at 7:52 AM, Expatthailover said:

People wonder why farangs are unpopular with certain small sections of the thai community.

All this for 40 baht.

A paltry amount for sure...but it gets old. I give him credit for bucking the system that allows for farangs to be used as ATMs. But this faring may face repercussions down the road. 

1 hour ago, chama said:

A paltry amount for sure...but it gets old. I give him credit for bucking the system that allows for farangs to be used as ATMs. But this faring may face repercussions down the road. 

Hope So.!. Beat down a simple Man. Well done strange odd looking Alien.

On 4/18/2018 at 11:52 PM, Dinobot said:

There are few lower forms of life than the many bkk taxi drivers who do this sort of thing on the regular.

Agreed, and because they are just ;trying to feed and;house ;their families is no excuse.

He gave 200 for expressway fees which cost 100 and got no change. 

now how did that happen,if he knew the fees and didn't want to pay too much? only had a 200Baht note? You know the tolls are only about 30, 50 or 70 baht, so only give small money! sounds like a bit of a beat up to me.

On 18 avril 2018 at 1:52 PM, Expatthailover said:

People wonder why farangs are unpopular with certain small sections of the thai community.

All this for 40 baht.

But why on earth Would you tip somebody who is trying to rip you off and insults you??...wouldnt have given him anything.

I just can't stand that "Youtube star", as it's obvious that he's just looking for such a guy. All planned to have more counts on his Youtube page.

Very similar to this douche-bag Nate. They need others to pull through the cacao to make money. It was never about 75 baht. 

Archived