YouTube star slams rip-off taxi driver

webfact

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, terryp said:

hope he has a work visa? his little hissy fit could come back to haunt him in a big way ..75baht not worth all the drama or eyeballs on you

Hissy fit?

So you agree with overcharging, lying, taxi scum?

Yes, scum.

Bangkok taxi drivers can't have it both ways. When it suits them they will refuse fares and seemingly get away with it despite rhetoric from the authorities. Then, when it is raining or taxis are scarce, they will demand unreasonable flat fares. Then, if you are lucky enough to get one, they will whine and moan about how hard life is and that you should give them a tip. All of this happens to both Thais and foreigners, by the way.  I rarely use them anymore, preferring to use Grab. Unfortunately, I see a similar trend with Grab, especially when it comes to denying a fare. Still,whenever I get a little hot under the collar about  this, I just remind myself of the taxi situation in NYC, London or Sydney.Crazy expensive and often hard to find.

14 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

People wonder why farangs are unpopular with certain small sections of the thai community.

All this for 40 baht.

This is not about Baht 40 - it's about a crooked taxi driver who, from the very beginning, tried to con his passanger 1) meter isn't working, 2) Baht 200 for expressway tolls, which according to the passanger, cost no more than Baht 100 and 3) the change. 

As always the Thai taxi drivers fire up peoples emotions, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I don't get some of you guys.

The taxi driver was completely wrong.

1. He tried not to open his meter with the old chestnut, it wasn't working.. 2. When challenged he opened it begrudgingly but then attempted other ways to cheat. 3. He asked for 200 baht for tolls when the passenger knew they were only 100 baht in total, so he has already benefitted to the tune of 100 baht there. 4. He then decides at the destination to award himself a tip, when the fare was 425 baht, A TIP of 75 baht. The fact the customer asked for at least 40 baht back, which he was fully ENTITLED TO DO. He should have asked for the full 75 baht after the nonsense with the tollway.

Those of you quoting taxi prices in New York and London are in cuckoo land. This is Thailand and you pay the going rate. It isn't England or the USA or France or anywhere bloody else. People travel to these lands for the value for money whether you like it or not. I bet the same people calling him a skinflint are the ones whining when the prices go up at the supermarket on their imported luxury goods such as their wines, cheeses, baked beans or brown sauce!

Others then try the defence that he is a poor lowly taxi driver. He CHOSE to do the job. If you don't like your job, you change it. His private life and income have nothing to do with this issue at all. It is also NOT a guy trying on white privilege as some have stated, it is the law of the land. You pay what is on the meter plus tolls and plus a 50 baht surcharge at airport ranks.

When you go to a bar or restaurant, you don't allow them to charge you their tips because they have a poor salary, if you wish to give you give and if you don't, you don't.

What about all the times' taxi drivers refuse to pick up as they aren't going that way or when it's raining they refuse to put on the meter, and the scams and threats of violence in Phuket and other places running taxis like a mafia cartel. Demanding the government allow them to increase fares promising better and improved service and then the ' same old, same old ' once they get the increase.

The Foreigner may well have been doing click bait etc on his youtube site but that is another issue.

The driver was wrong no matter which way you care to cut it.It is barefaced cheating and there is no defense so the apologists need to stop throwing up smokescreens. If the Police did it at a traffic stop, there would be uproar, but when it's a taxi driver we get all these excuses

It is small wonder the Skytrain and the underground and the airport links are packed and Grab taxi is streaking ahead.

yes, more people need to stand up to these rip off taxi drivers,they give thailand a bad name..they dont respect us if we give them a tip..they just think we are yet another sucker..

its not the farangs fault if taxi drivers are underpaid--

its simple, if there were far less taxis sitting around doing nothing, but better qualified drivers-they would make more money.

also better laws to aradicate the scum drivers..

It just get's boring that you know what they will say before they say it, what they will do before they do it, what the will think before they think it. What I say to them is I cannot aid and abet a crime as what you are doing is illegal, (which it is) & I don't break the law. The big mistake is they delude themselves they are smarter than the Farang with the travel budget, so when the Farang say's NO, then the Farang is bad (Farang Kinok) or "Kinio" or has some character flaw because he won't submit to being ripped off. Bottom Line you are dealing with a 3rd Grade education, & when you say "No, turn on the meter", you are Bad & a problem. This idea that because you have a travel budget these jerks are entitled to help themselves to it, is the chimpanzee part of the brain working. Everybody video these jerks & report their simple asses. Not all taxi drivers do it so just report the somsucks that do!

22 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Hissy fit?

So you agree with overcharging, lying, taxi scum?

Yes, scum.

Yes hissy fit ...why not just get out of the taxi at Swampy and complain to the desk staff at the taxi rank?

2 years in thailand ..on what visa ....so he can speak thai ..WOW, decades here have taught me one thing ...THINK FIRST.....remember my mate Nate ...he soon vanished!

17 hours ago, terryp said:

hope he has a work visa? his little hissy fit could come back to haunt him in a big way ..75baht not worth all the drama or eyeballs on you

I doubt he'll have any problem. The type of behavior the driver was engaged in is one the government is trying to stamp out. Next we'll find out there is a nationwide search on for the driver.

25 minutes ago, djayz said:

This is not about Baht 40 - it's about a crooked taxi driver...

No.

It's all about a self-aggrandizing young foreigner, "Danny Mac", seeking hits on his YouTube channel.

( "(the video) had already received 1 million views by noon on Wednesday and it had been shared more than 19,600 times and received over 35,000 reactions.")  

If it were genuinely about the money or the "principle" (oh, irony! :saai:), our noble "English teacher" would have  simply reported the incident to the relevant authorities.

8 minutes ago, Manny said:

The guy in the video should have been charged 500 baht just for having that haircut !

His appearance has nothing to do with this. 

4 minutes ago, EyeOfRa said:

No.

It's all about a self-aggrandizing young foreigner, "Danny Mac", seeking hits on his YouTube channel.

( "on Tuesday evening (the video) had already received 1 million views by noon on Wednesday and it had been shared more than 19,600 times and received over 35,000 reactions.")  

If it were genuinely about the money or the "principle" (oh, irony! :saai:), our noble "English teacher" would have  simply reported the incident to the relevant authorities in Chiang Mai.

I don't care for this fellow either, but it is about a taxi driver who waits at the international airport for unsuspecting, innocent, inexperienced passangers so he can make a few extra Baht at their expense. 

18 hours ago, terryp said:

Rubbish talk these Thais need to learn that we don't have to pitty them or accept there extortion. ln my country the driver maybe the one exiting his own taxi fast prik. Needs a slapping

Good and bad drivers everywhere.

We have had very friendly drivers in BKK that helped with luggage/shopping to the door, and others that have stopped on a main road to tighten the two remaining wheel nuts on a front wheel. (He was missing wheel nuts on all the wheels as it turns out, he said it was a Songkran party-goers prank.) He then said he needed a tip to fix the taxi, maybe to buy more wheel nuts.

Myself, I just take a breath and remind myself it's all of $4.00 for a trip that back home would cost $25+.   It's funny that the naughty ones almost always say to me "Welcome to Thailannnnd, you know this road, no? we go this way, faster" hehe   When I get home I then curse Thailand taxi drivers out loud, have a drink, and it's all okay again.

Admittedly back home the taxis don't usually have their wheels falling off.

15 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

People wonder why farangs are unpopular with certain small sections of the thai community.

All this for 40 baht.

You miss the point and are well off course. The taxi was trying to extort money 40 or 40k no difference.  He is a criminal and should have his licence revoked immediately.

I don't care for this fellow either, but it is about a taxi driver who waits at the international airport for unsuspecting, innocent, inexperienced passangers so he can make a few extra Baht at their expense. 

I don't particularly care for the taxi driver's behaviour, either, but I find the self-righteous foreign YouTuber's efforts infinitely less appealing.

The video has now been seen and commented on by half of Thailand. 

What a hero! 

There are ways to make a point without disproportionate shaming of an individual.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

This aint Kansas Dorothy, if you can't understand that the vast majority of people here are poor and uneducated by your standards you shouldn't be here.

but educated enough to blatantly rip off (or try to)  the educated of those among  us

15 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

It’s about time people started to stand up against rip off merchants. It’s about princeable. Well done.  A few more vidios  and maybe just maybe the Thais will get it,

well lets start with the Government entry fee to any Place run by the government is for westerners at least 4 times that what Thai people pay so what you expect the population to do, easy picking , on some places is the entry price written in Thai numbers  and in Arabic numbers completely different 

27 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Rubbish talk these Thais need to learn that we don't have to pitty them or accept there extortion. ln my country the driver maybe the one exiting his own taxi fast prik. Needs a slapping

Try  some deep breathing Media1 and relax.

You seem to get pretty worked up about this incident.

Fascinating to see how many commenting here support the criminal activity of the driver - refusing to offer change, refusing to use his meter, ranting about his passenger being a cheapskate. I guess these commentators have been in Thailand too long and now accept such things as normal and acceptable. In other words, they've lowered their own standards to match those of the locals.

If the driver claims it's hard to make a living then he should get another job instead of breaking the law and cheating his customers.

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

Try  some deep breathing Media1 and relax.

You seem to get pretty worked up about this incident.

No not at all. There criminals operating with acceptance of the unreformed RTP..They all need to shown the fire escape door 

Archived