YouTube star slams rip-off taxi driver

webfact

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Fascinating to see how many commenting here support the criminal activity of the driver - refusing to offer change, refusing to use his meter, ranting about his passenger being a cheapskate. I guess these commentators have been in Thailand too long and now accept such things as normal and acceptable. In other words, they've lowered their own standards to match those of the locals.

If the driver claims it's hard to make a living then he should get another job instead of breaking the law and cheating his customers.

Yes just another  criminal nothing new

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not complicated, either use a " legal " meter and add on the tolls OR state a price, stick with it and add the tolls. Don't drive like a moron and you most likely get a tip, but not always. If that doesnt suit the driver, find another job, don't be dishonest, in the end it bites you in the ass.  My father taught me no matter what you do try and be the very best you can. Important lesson that has served me well. IMHO the youtube geek is a pinhead !

I can't understand why so many are standing up for the taxi driver here, right from the start he lied about the meter not working!

Are the commenters here so used to being ripped off they think it is ok? 

And for those that can't work out how the driver ended up with 200 baht for tolls when it would mean 2 notes, I'll give a hint, there were 3 toll gates. I'm sure you can work it out how the driver pulled it off.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

This aint Kansas Dorothy, if you can't understand that the vast majority of people here are poor and uneducated by your standards you shouldn't be here.

Thankfully most of us are not as uneducated as you, what a stupid Post, wake up, these people are professional Scam Artists and are laughing there Ass off at Mugs like you! ,being uneducated and poor is no excuse for ripping Tourists off,its theft, these people expect to be Tipped every Bloody Five Minutes, and when you do Tip they give you a Sour look if they deem the Tip to be inadequate.

47 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Fascinating to see how many commenting here support the criminal activity of the driver - refusing to offer change, refusing to use his meter, ranting about his passenger being a cheapskate. I guess these commentators have been in Thailand too long and now accept such things as normal and acceptable. In other words, they've lowered their own standards to match those of the locals.

If the driver claims it's hard to make a living then he should get another job instead of breaking the law and cheating his customers.

+1 Well said Barry! ?

16 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

It’s about time people started to stand up against rip off merchants. It’s about princeable. Well done.  A few more vidios  and maybe just maybe the Thais will get it,

I agree 100% it's about the principle. These Pr1X think they are entitled to rip off Farang. Even for 1 Satang this is worth exposing.

The only slight problem with the above statement is, Thais will NEVER get it :coffee1:

Well, its kind of subjective on this case because the amount is not exactly big into thousands of baht. All in all is only a 75 baht difference and I would happily gave him if the driver was polite enough to ask for it. 

All those complaining about the cheap Charlie farang and being tight with the money. What is wrong about his behaviour?
He's demanding a service for a defined charge and that's all.
Or do you go shopping at Tesco and Big C and say to the cashier that he can define the prices of your goods by his own will and then you give him a tip on top of that...
No one forced the taxi driver to be a taxi driver as his work. He could even refuse the passenger, which is already against the law.

3 hours ago, nycjoe said:

I give the 500 from either airport to sukhumvit, good luck to them, most of the time they are stuck in traffic without a fare or driving around without a passenger, so maybe its an extra $3.00. I don't take a taxi every day. Wish the driver Chok Dee and be grateful that you don't have that job.

Good for you, there are far too many unsympathetic self-centered tight wads visiting Thailand, I also tip them, its only appropriate considering their awful situation.

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Good for you, there are far too many unsympathetic self-centered tight wads visiting Thailand, I also tip them, its only appropriate considering their awful situation.

The awful situation they volunteered for by becoming a taxi driver, you mean? If they had any sense they'd have found out beforehand how much the drivers make (legally) and decided to do something else.

1 hour ago, Acemaker said:

Thankfully most of us are not as uneducated as you, what a stupid Post, wake up, these people are professional Scam Artists and are laughing there Ass off at Mugs like you! ,being uneducated and poor is no excuse for ripping Tourists off,its theft, these people expect to be Tipped every Bloody Five Minutes, and when you do Tip they give you a Sour look if they deem the Tip to be inadequate.

It's part of the landscape of living in Thailand, if you can't accept it without getting your panties in a twist, don't come here. And if you think that getting into a bun fight with one of them is going to change the system, good luck with that challenge!

Interesting that when the Baht was at 75 and 80 per Pound we never ever heard or saw debates such as this on Thai visa Forum, not once. But now the Baht is roughly 43 to the Pound they are a regular occurrence, it's like selective arguments based on the degree of weakness of the posters home currency. Oh I forgot, it's the principle of the issue, not the money - or was it the morality of the issue, says the western foreigner in Bangkok! Principles and morals my tush, some folks think they're still back home and or are too cheap by far.

well lets start with the Government entry fee to any Place run by the government is for westerners at least 4 times that what Thai people pay so what you expect the population to do, easy picking , on some places is the entry price written in Thai numbers  and in Arabic numbers completely different 

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Given the ease, convenience, speed and low cost of the airport link I don't understand why people bother with taxi's at Swampy.

when you travel as a family with young children and 5 suitcases, then come back and tell me how the "ease,  convenience, speed and low cost of the airport link" is better than taxi services. 

5 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

"farang khee nok [guava]"

No, farang khee nok translates to something like "bird poo Westerner". 

Guava's are called farang in Thailand after the people who brought them to Thailand who were farangs.

wrong Kieran. (well you got the word by word translation kind of correct, but it's not the correct meaning).

Farang khee nok is one type of guava. It's a different size and taste than other guavas. It's also an idiom, when used to describe someone, meaning they are not genuine or not stereotypical. 

So a poorly dressed foreigner eating 20 baht noodles complaining about being short changed is called farang khee nok, not because Thai people think the person is bird shit (do you really have such a low opinion of Thai people?).  But instead because they are not the stereotypical cashed up foreigner who enjoy finer things in life and who don't sweat over small things/change.

In the usage by Thais, it's almost never used to mean someone is literally "bird shit" and it's not even really a strong insult - at least not in the same way as calling someone a buffalo is.  But, yes,  in some cases Thais do really mean "bird shit" farangs. And the Thai person only use it that way when they know that the farang target misunderstands the idiom and thus is a way to upset/insult the farang much more than calling them another stronger Thai insult would.   

51 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

It's part of the landscape of living in Thailand, if you can't accept it without getting your panties in a twist, don't come here. And if you think that getting into a bun fight with one of them is going to change the system, good luck with that challenge!

I seldom have problems with taxis. The few times I have it has been pink taxis. Yesterday I needed a taxi from Vejthani Hospital to my place. He didn’t complain about my wheelchair I was worried he would not use the meter. When we started moving the meter was on. Traffic on Ladphrao was terrible but he maneuvered well. Got home the meter showed ฿95 as he got my chair out of the trunk for me. He appreciated the ฿25 tip. Not all taxi drivers are bad. To the contrary I find most Thai people to be honest maybe just because I am older without the usual “I am better than you” attitude 

33 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

when you travel as a family with young children and 5 suitcases, then come back and tell me how the "ease,  convenience, speed and low cost of the airport link" is better than taxi services. 

Agreed, I have used the airport link a few times. Day or night I find it even more crowded than the MRT or BTS at rush hour. When meeting someone at the airport I will use the airport link to get there but take a taxi home. 

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I seldom have problems with taxis. The few times I have it has been pink taxis. Yesterday I needed a taxi from Vejthani Hospital to my place. He didn’t complain about my wheelchair I was worried he would not use the meter. When we started moving the meter was on. Traffic on Ladphrao was terrible but he maneuvered well. Got home the meter showed ฿95 as he got my chair out of the trunk for me. He appreciated the ฿25 tip. Not all taxi drivers are bad. To the contrary I find most Thai people to be honest maybe just because I am older without the usual “I am better than you” attitude 

I agree, they either want to use the meter or they don't. Agree at the outset, before you get in, how it's going to be - if you want them to use the meter and they don't, find another cab, how much simpler could it possibly be! And if you don't want to tip, don't tip, feel free to scrape and save every satang, you've earned it and it's your right, charlee. 

41 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

I think it was pretty clear that I was referring to the average single traveller, as quoted in the OP and not to the person leading a flock and moving house as well.

2 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

:passifier:I am happy to tip taxi drivers who give good service. But when they assume they are entitled to steal money, that is not good service and they get nothing.Most drivers don’t try to cheat, why should this one get away with it?

But it made him cry

21 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I doubt the reporting YouTube star will encounter any problems whatsoever.    He sounds like he's been around the block more than once and as reported, he was speaking Thai with the taxi driver.

Much ado about nothing.

In that case he would know that you give the driver the toll money as you go through the tolls on the expressway.  Everything should be done with good humour and a smile.

However some ex-pats still feel the way is to shout and snarl and consequently will pay more, one way or another.

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I always wonder why it is the pink taxis trying to charge extra, driving in circles etc. Do they have higher lease rates than the All Thai Taxis, or the green and yellow taxis?

6 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Given the ease, convenience, speed and low cost of the airport link I don't understand why people bother with taxi's at Swampy.

Youtube "stars" are high-society and they look down on us intelligent, practical people using proletarian skytrains ? 

Archived