Hua Hin authorities act fast on shark threat to tourism

snoop1130

Hua Hin authorities act fast on shark threat to tourism

image-6.jpeg

The authorities in the Hua Hin area have reacted swiftly to the possibility of shark bites following the attack on a Norwegian man earlier this week.

Fifty four year old Werner Danielsen was bitten on his foot while swimming off Sai Noi Beach and is currently recovering in Bangkok Hua Hin Hospital.

Provincial and municipal budgets have been used for the provision of a 350 meter long net at the beach. It will be installed within 20 days and until then the beach is closed.

Signage has been prepared at various points advising that swimmers do not go out more than 20 meters from the shore. 

At Sai Noi Beach an 80 foot boat will be moored offshore to help in operations. 

Ban Muang reported that Prajuab Khirikhan governor Pallop Singhasenee and counterparts in Hua Hin had met to discuss arrangements in response to the attack on the Norwegian. 

Earlier a fisheries expert from Kaset University said the possibility of a shark attack was as little as 200 million to one. 

Source: http://banmuang.co.th/news/region/108788

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-4-18

Jelly fish are common there too. We were there 25 years ago a friend went for a swim and barely made it back to shore. A jelly fish 

made contact on his shoulder and arm and nearly disabled him from swimming back to shore. He just made it. He was lucky to be alive. So shark are not the only worry in the waters there. He was a strong young man some one weaker or fragile probably would not have survived

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Earlier a fisheries expert from Kaset University said the possibility of a shark attack was as little as 200 million to one. 

typical thai; taking a small thing and blowing it all out of proportion; surprised they didn't invoke some superstitious dimension on this

During the beach closures, I wonder how many people will be killed or injured in vehicle accidents.  Perhaps they should leave the beach open and shut down vehicle traffic until they develop a traffic enforcement plan to stop vehicle carnage.

Sharks or vehicles?  What's the most dangerous?  Vehicles hands down.  Shark attacks are rare as hens teeth.

Why not write the words SHARKS or show a picture of one?

I would still swim there because i can swim well and the Thai can't. This sign wouldn't tell me what the real danger is, so it's a bad sign.

And my friend (Thai) got burned very bad by a jellyfish in Hua Hin so best is  to not swim there at all, except in the hotelpool.

Soon the shark will be caught and brought in for questioning over his actions that has damaged tourism.  After the  mandatory attitude adjustment and small fine, he will be returned to his home and cautioned not to do anything that may damage tourism further.

shark netting is used in places notorious for attacks and dangerous species; south africa and australia as examples.

even in hawaii where there are dangerous species, attacks and some fatal, there is no netting to my knowledge.

when a shark is spotted the beach is closed until it is verified the shark has left

wonder how much kickback money netting will lead to?

In Cape Town the premier surfing spot has shark watchers high on the mountain tops, watching the bay.

I have a drone photo of a friend of mine surfing, out about 30 meters of the shore. In the water behind the row of surfers, 22 Great White Sharks and on the left of the photo, a HammerHead shark.

Sharks don't like eating or biting people. Our fat content is too low. They like seals and walrusses for fat.

Here, the over fishing has taken all, or 89%, of most of the fish, so sharks are going to bite people.

I wonder how long it will be for a big Tiger or Great White to eat a Thai? I think the shark would spit them out...too much MSG in their meat.

18 hours ago, steveyinasia said:

Soon the shark will be caught and brought in for questioning over his actions that has damaged tourism.  After the  mandatory attitude adjustment and small fine, he will be returned to his home and cautioned not to do anything that may damage tourism further.

They have already made a truce with the sharks. The sharks have already agreed that they won't swim closer than 20m from the shore.

47 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

In Cape Town the premier surfing spot has shark watchers high on the mountain tops, watching the bay.

I have a drone photo of a friend of mine surfing, out about 30 meters of the shore. In the water behind the row of surfers, 22 Great White Sharks and on the left of the photo, a HammerHead shark.

Sharks don't like eating or biting people. Our fat content is too low. They like seals and walrusses for fat.

Here, the over fishing has taken all, or 89%, of most of the fish, so sharks are going to bite people.

I wonder how long it will be for a big Tiger or Great White to eat a Thai? I think the shark would spit them out...too much MSG in their meat.

I had no idea sharks were such fussy eaters. Great Whites take exploratory bites before they come in for the kill. Maybe that's a taste test. A lot of swimmers would have high fat content.

45 minutes ago, tropo said:

I had no idea sharks were such fussy eaters. Great Whites take exploratory bites before they come in for the kill. Maybe that's a taste test. A lot of swimmers would have high fat content.

Yes they are fussy eaters. They dont have hands to feel with, so they use taste. Alas they dont know their bites harm us. At Five meters or more in length or larger, yes they can bite people in half.

A very lesser known fact, the great white shark has an anti coagulant film on their teeth, to help their prey bleed out.

Have a look at the recent national geographic film, done buy the Sharkman in Gansbaai, South Africa.

One female shark bit him accidently, while he had his hand over her snout. He made this discovery last year.

I have dived with Great Whites on four occasions. They are beautiful. Here in thai waters there is not much left in the way of fish, so the predators are going to look for an easy meal, people. Kinda like the fuzz here, going after farangs, 555.

Yes the big fat people we see swimming here may have lots of fat as humans, but sharks need the high fat content of seals.

14 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Among all the deadly brown floaters & toilet paper?  

In USA the majority of shark bites are from bull sharks, a relatively small species that inhabits shallow murky water and therefore in harbours etc where Makos and great whites do not go.  Exit the image of marauding 4 to 6m Jaws when it is often  the nasty nippy terriers of the sea, biting what they cannot see and inflicting many lacerations, serious, but not usually fatal.

Archived