New 118 -121 junction and bridge

sappersrest

Looks rather neat though doesn't it? 

At least the 1367 HomePro road can take some of the strain away whilst they are doing the work I guess.  Shame they didn't budget to put underpasses on the 3rd ring road like they did on the second as it would have saved a lot of re-work time & expense.

Very strange design.  All those figure 8 merge points look very confusing for the average driver. The construction is going to be a major headache for those of us living off the 118 north of the 121.  I had no idea what was going on there.  Thanks sappersrest for all the details. 

It amazes me how they build rather semi-permanent buildings for the construction staff first and later tear them down, as they did at the 121/107 build.  They remained as derelict eyesores for some time. 

1 hour ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Very strange design.  All those figure 8 merge points look very confusing for the average driver. The construction is going to be a major headache for those of us living off the 118 north of the 121.  I had no idea what was going on there.  Thanks sappersrest for all the details. 

It amazes me how they build rather semi-permanent buildings for the construction staff first and later tear them down, as they did at the 121/107 build.  They remained as derelict eyesores for some time. 

Have you seen how they do it in Bangkok? They build makeshift housing for hundreds of workers only a few meters away from the site (along the railroad tracks). They can literally roll out of bed and start work. It looks very dangerous to me. Partially built bridges with workers living/sleeping underneath them.

10 hours ago, junglechef said:

That's the way I drive my kids to school, considering alternative routes, anyone know if the 11/1001 intersection is done yet? (I'm still on my escape-from-the-smoke trip)

Yes, it's all finally finished. Big improvement to traffic flow. 

18 hours ago, canthai55 said:

1014 and 3013 to the East

1367 1001 to the West

Both will bypass the 118/121 junction

You can bet your boots traffic will increase on these routes

I think you meant 3017, and I agree traffic will increase.  The problem is that the small downtown of Doi Saket, at one end, and Borsang, at the other, will not be able to handle this influx of traffic.  Recently they installed a traffic light at the 118 turn off for Doi Saket.  Where traffic previously entered town (where I live) a couple cars at a time, they are now released in a line of traffic all at once when the traffic light changes.  This already causes a backup of traffic in town in front of the ever busy 7-11, Lotus Express, and banks. 

The same can be said for the small 2 lane road past all the tourist venues in Borsang.
I see some major headaches in the future. 

4 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I travel many times on the 121 and 118 and have never seen a serious traffic problem at the junction there. Why do it?  anyway it might improve things a bit but now 3/4 years of Hell.

One of the major causes, in my opinion, of the traffic problems in Chiang Mai is their failure to be pro-active and plan for the future.  Although I dread the inconvenience of this new construction, it is now a necessary evil and will be even more necessary for the future as traffic will not get any less.  The recent improvements to intersections on the north side of town should have been done years ago. 

21 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

One of the major causes, in my opinion, of the traffic problems in Chiang Mai is their failure to be pro-active and plan for the future.  Although I dread the inconvenience of this new construction, it is now a necessary evil and will be even more necessary for the future as traffic will not get any less.  The recent improvements to intersections on the north side of town should have been done years ago. 

Yes I probably agree and i'm probably not recognizing enough that 4/5pm it does get very bad at that junction.

Archived