66 foreigners arrested in nationwide crackdown

webfact

1 hour ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Q: Who  in their right mind holds a press conference at 1.30am?

A: Most likely someone who does not want any media, press to attend to face awkward questioning. Would be interesting to know how much notice was given re the event.

Might be mistaken here but did the general not prohibit media events by the police? 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

As a Canadian (by birth) -- I find that comment quite offensive.  I take pride in Canada being an open and diverse country, and I don't find it appropriate to distinguish between naturalized or native citizen.  

Nice of you to lecture others. More busybodies needed.

3 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

I promise you this is not all what it seems. Yes sometimes they are putting some bad guys away and deporting them. But I know first hand that this is a way for the Thais to kidnap and extort money from people in many cases. They did it to me last month.

I did not have an overstay and I was at immigration with a BOI work permit and was on time for my visa extension for a court case I was found not guilty of.

After offering me a 7 day extension the supervisor intervened and cancelled my visa called Lumpini to come and take me away. I thought it was just to sign some paperwork but they threw me in IDC at Suan Plu.

What I saw there was amazing and disgusting. If you treated dogs like that you would be thrown in jail for animal cruelty. You can find lots more info on this from a search of IDC Thailand.

There are children and families in there which is against international law. As Thailand joined the UNHRC last year they are supposed to be transparent but no one sees inside this horrible place.

As for me they threatened to blacklist me for 5 years. They locked me up for 5 days and then let me out as soon as I payed for my plane ticket out, which must be done at the travel agent at Suan Plu immigration. A 1 way ticket to Vancouver ran me 63,500 baht (I paid less then 19,000 to return).

I had no blacklist, there was no problem with me returning. This is just an incredibly nasty scam they are running.

I met many people that had 2 days overstay and were either at immigration or the airport voluntarily but were arrested anyway. Many were there between 30 days to 4 months as they could not arrange plane tickets out.

No words can describe what a horror show this place is with severe overcrowding etc etc etc. Many people I met have been there for several years and 1 guy for 10 years.

The world needs to know about this place.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what nationality are you ?  You mentioned Vancouver, are you Canadian and what are you, Black, white, Asian ?  I'm asking because in Thailand it all matters...

3 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

I promise you this is not all what it seems. Yes sometimes they are putting some bad guys away and deporting them. But I know first hand that this is a way for the Thais to kidnap and extort money from people in many cases. They did it to me last month.

I did not have an overstay and I was at immigration with a BOI work permit and was on time for my visa extension for a court case I was found not guilty of.

After offering me a 7 day extension the supervisor intervened and cancelled my visa called Lumpini to come and take me away. I thought it was just to sign some paperwork but they threw me in IDC at Suan Plu.

What I saw there was amazing and disgusting. If you treated dogs like that you would be thrown in jail for animal cruelty. You can find lots more info on this from a search of IDC Thailand.

There are children and families in there which is against international law. As Thailand joined the UNHRC last year they are supposed to be transparent but no one sees inside this horrible place.

As for me they threatened to blacklist me for 5 years. They locked me up for 5 days and then let me out as soon as I payed for my plane ticket out, which must be done at the travel agent at Suan Plu immigration. A 1 way ticket to Vancouver ran me 63,500 baht (I paid less then 19,000 to return).

I had no blacklist, there was no problem with me returning. This is just an incredibly nasty scam they are running.

I met many people that had 2 days overstay and were either at immigration or the airport voluntarily but were arrested anyway. Many were there between 30 days to 4 months as they could not arrange plane tickets out.

No words can describe what a horror show this place is with severe overcrowding etc etc etc. Many people I met have been there for several years and 1 guy for 10 years.

The world needs to know about this place.

I bet theres more than what is seemed regarding the details of your story and the grounds of your work visa. 

They must have had grounds to cancel your work permit some details must not have checked out.

but giving them a reason criminal activity or overstaying etc is just asking for it. Basically they are giving you a way out of jail time for a fee, they are well known for this, you are extorted for what you are worth knowing your freedom is priceless.

they are cracking down good guys in bad guys out, or so they say. If you had genuine reason not to be guilty you should have stood your ground, you were likely only ‘locked up’ at the police station tacked onto the airport. They hold anyone while issues are sorted out or waiting for court date.

ive seen it before and assisted a ‘friend’ who was up for 300,000 baht defamaition to a hostess and 30,000 for damages. He was a piece of shit and had it coming but stopd the ground and didnt pay a dime after it was thrown out of court. 

1 hour ago, Phuket Stan said:

Why do u think the Thai Baht is so strong....its because of the hgh overseas reserves that Thailand holds....one of the highest in the world....don't think they got those reserves from black market activities....being Number 1 or 2 exporter in the world of rice , rubber , sugar, sugar tapioca  plus hell of a lot of other stuff....

plus hell of a lot of other stuff....

Like what?

1 hour ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I was in there for 3 weeks in '97 I think it was. So many things I could say but won't... I guess the worst thing was the prison guard that called out detainees' names that were due to be released. My nickname became "England" and every other day he would yell out "England!" so I picked up my shoes ( with hidden boiled eggs in) then make Then he'd say "England's Prime Minister is Tony Blair" or "England's captain is David Beckham" before bursting into laughter and making me walk back to my 3 allocated floor tiles... A truly <deleted> awful place ...

Should have told him actually Tony Blair is Britain's PM not englands

3 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

If Thailand keeps arresting these undesirable  visitors at the current rate, I think in another 300 years most of the present ones will be gone.

Undesirable?

How many illegal workers are there that will work for next to bugger all for doing jobs that nobody else will do for the same pay.... i.e. less than 300 baht a day!!

Or by undesirables are you referring to criminals that can well afford a passport, visa and money in the bank that will never be caught by such "raids"...

7 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

plus hell of a lot of other stuff....

Like what?

Auto parts - Thailand is one of the largest parts exporters 

a very simple way to look at is that Thailand is a net exporter. In monetary terms the value of goods Thailand exports is greater than the value goods Thailand Imports. Foreign countries that import goods from Thailand have to pay for them in Thai Baht and because Thailand exports more than they import there are more people looking to buy Baht than sell it. It’s tough for the currency to weaken in the face of that demand unless there is a net outflow of baht into foreign assets.

You may say the exporters should just keep the foreign currency and not convert it but if you think it through the exporters need payment in Baht as all their costs are in baht, materials, wages, transportation etc etc, their taxes are in baht and their dividends are in baht as are their investment costs. 

12 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Auto parts - Thailand is one of the largest parts exporters 

a very simple way to look at is that Thailand is a net exporter. In monetary terms the value of goods Thailand exports is greater than the value goods Thailand Imports. Foreign countries that import goods from Thailand have to pay for them in Thai Baht and because Thailand exports more than they import there are more people looking to buy Baht than sell it. It’s tough for the currency to weaken in the face of that demand unless there is a net outflow of baht into foreign assets.

You may say the exporters should just keep the foreign currency and not convert it but if you think it through the exporters need payment in Baht as all their costs are in baht, materials, wages, transportation etc etc, their taxes are in baht and their dividends are in baht as are their investment costs. 

Do you believe that positive imbalance favoring Thailand has any connection to the Thai import taxes?

2 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Would agree- I know a lot of expats here( at least 150) don’t know anyone who has been in a court . 

There is always more to the stories one reads . 

You know 150 expats here yet not one who has been in a court? Maybe you need to talk to some who have been to court so you can get a clue before you comment. There's a lot of corruption going on around you that obviously, you're blissfully unaware of.

We should all be taking these stories seriously.

27 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Undesirable?

How many illegal workers are there that will work for next to bugger all for doing jobs that nobody else will do for the same pay.... i.e. less than 300 baht a day!!

Or by undesirables are you referring to criminals that can well afford a passport, visa and money in the bank that will never be caught by such "raids"...

I really don't have a figure in mind per se.     I guess I'm just making light of the effort to deal with foreigners while there are far more serious issues facing the Kingdom, IMHO.

3 hours ago, phetpeter said:

You missed it in his story, he was extended a 7 day extension due to a court case! So there was no reason for extra extension, as he states he was found not guilty.So no need for him to stay. Bye bye! But, he probably upset them. and not a real Canadian maybe , writes like an Indian?

(Pedant mode on) Technically speaking, if you are talking about "red" Indians (or the preferred nomenclature of our times: Native Canadians or First Nations people), they are the ORIGINAL Canadians. You cannot get more "real" than that. (Pedant mode off). 

If you are speaking about East Indians (or those from the Indian sub-continent) you may be correct as I notice the English is nearly perfect. 

In any case, in one single post you managed to disparage 3 groups of people: 1) speaking about First Nations people by calling them Indians, 2) if not, you were talking about East Indian-Canadians and describe them as not "real" Canadians, 3) or that not being the case, implying that "real" Canadians are not able to write properly in 1 of the nation's 2 official languages.

18 minutes ago, tropo said:

You know 150 expats here yet not one who has been in a court? Maybe you need to talk to some who have been to court so you can get a clue before you comment. There's a lot of corruption going on around you that obviously, you're blissfully unaware of.

We should all be taking these stories seriously.

Surely Trop  you know Ignorance is bliss..

One respects laws and the officials in a foreign country, so be it.

However, if western nations had their police forces swarming down the streets or posing with big blockbuster posters behind,  hinting to outlaw foreigners, the media, western governance and society in general,  would never accept the stigmatization.

Thailand has full right to enforce it's laws domestically....but it could be handled with more dignity and not in a circus style farang stigmatization, as in this context.

2 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

As a Canadian (by birth) -- I find that comment quite offensive.  I take pride in Canada being an open and diverse country, and I don't find it appropriate to distinguish between naturalized or native citizen.  

My Canadian friends call them Plastic Canadians. They regard the Sikhs, Iranians and Chinese as destroying Canada and its heritage.  Non integration and gangs being an issue. Then the deliberate provocation as when a Sikh joined the Mounties and only AFTER he was accepted refused to wear the the traditional famous Mounties hat and insisted on wearing a turban! Thus attacking a tradition and icon symbol. I like the way the Thais racially profile people. They usually get it right....

4 hours ago, phetpeter said:

You missed it in his story, he was extended a 7 day extension due to a court case! So there was no reason for extra extension, as he states he was found not guilty.So no need for him to stay. Bye bye! But, he probably upset them. and not a real Canadian maybe , writes like an Indian?

That is a very racist comment implying that someone with indian ethnicity could not be a "real" Canadian

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Should have told him actually Tony Blair is Britain's PM not englands

"Blair is Britain's PM not englands"

OOPS!  Tony Blair had his 10 years of infamy as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom between 1997 and 2007. He still thinks he's relevant in his Major attempts to derail the wobbly Brexit plans by Brown-nosing the E.U., and which May come to pass.

2 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"Blair is Britain's PM not englands"

OOPS!  Tony Blair had his 10 years of infamy as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom between 1997 and 2007. He still thinks he's relevant in his Major attempts to derail the wobbly Brexit plans by Brown-nosing the E.U., and which May come to pass.

All well and good but mine was a one sided conversation with a prison guard and not a point for clarification on Jeremy Paxman show.........Hmmmm maybe there are similarities after all.....

Archived