Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, meatboy said:

anybody know the definition of THAINESS and what it was to represent .wasn't it a few yrs.ago it was supposed to mean everything good about Thailand.and its people

so what about the past few months.

willing to kill for a bag of drugs.

willing to murder anyone who beeps their horn on their car.

willing to murder any member of their family.

willing to rape children including their own.

willing to kill and rob.

willing to kill during road rage.

lie and cheat.

scam.

those who are willing to let someone die,so as not to pull over and let an ambulance through.

then we have all those willing to drink and get drunk and kill their family and innocent drivers.

forgive me if I have missed anything.

This sounds like the news any day in any country, and it's nothing new... not so much "Thainess" as "human-ness."

Complaining is everyone's right and part of healthy communication. If my friends complain, I try to help them not complain back that they complain too much. It is not like people are complaining all the time as the op suggests, just when they log onto Thai visa. I would also say that the news stories usuallly call for complaining, so it is easy to get into the complaint mode as soon as you log on. I would assume most complainers on here live relatively happy lives, just that Thai Visa is the place to complain.

once again I must ask what does THAINESS REPRESENT?

go back 35yrs.it was never like I posted.

go back 20yrs.

go back 10yrs.

now go back a few yrs.and what have we got anarchy if that's the word.can it get better well that's not something I would I would put my money on today. I wonder what treatment it will take if it can be cured..

11 minutes ago, steven2018 said:

Why do the Thai have to change? - it is their country.

Stay out of the Thai kitchen, if you don't like the pad thai

They don't have to change but they will develop over time. Modern, well educated and well traveled Thais have much less 'Thainess'  than the uneducated spoon fed masses who think Naga live in the rivers.

Living anywhere is a trade-off and I don't think any of us think we will change Thais nor would attempt too but we don't have to like all of it.

They don't have to change but they will develop over time. Modern, well educated and well traveled Thais have much less 'Thainess'  than the uneducated spoon fed masses who think Naga live in the rivers.

Living anywhere is a trade-off and I don't think any of us think we will change Thais nor would attempt too but we don't have to like all of it.
Cultures do evolve with social integration and globalization, and that is an individual process that outsiders can like or not like. It makes no diff to the culture commented on.

19 minutes ago, steven2018 said:
28 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Cultures do evolve with social integration and globalization, and that is an individual process that outsiders can like or not like. It makes no diff to the culture commented on.

I found it harder to accept some expats and some tourist behavior when staying in Thailand, than locals do. It is expected by the locals to be like that more or less like a thai, whatever that is based on where you are at any moment. I know how my countrymen react to stupid tourists and new citizens, but often those with the highest voice, it is the same who make me ashamed here.:post-4641-1156693976: 

20 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

t think you are confusing "Thais and "Thainess?"" with emmigration officers and their ongoing verbal abuse and harassment

Luckily never experienced that since 1971...

20 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Interesting post.

A lot of honesty in it.Very unusual amongst the foreigners I met in Thailand.

No judgement just an ongoing observation.  I was born in Jersey and lived in NYC for several years, as well as many other "exotic" places.  For me Thais are super easy to get along with.  IMHO the corruption and bad attitudes are much worse in "home countries."  It's certainly true in mine.

15 hours ago, poanoi said:

you're going to have to define 'thainess' before i can say if i dislike it ?

if you thought i will all of a sudden get religious you're so shit out of luck

That's deep man...:cheesy:

@joeyg

What I cannot understand is people like you who cannot get something so easy !

We are here because people are cheap, women are cheap, food is cheap, living on the beach is cheap, and weather is hot.

And because of these reasons it is still better than anywhere where in the world.

Do you have friends that you called retarded sometimes ? I do ! This is exactly the same thing with Thailand, far too big very good but still my friend !

11 minutes ago, gaff said:

@joeyg

We are here because people are cheap, women are cheap, food is cheap, living on the beach is cheap, and weather is hot.

And because of these reasons it is still better than anywhere where in the world.

Do you have friends that you called retarded sometimes ? I do ! This is exactly the same thing with Thailand, far too big very good but still my friend !

I just get tired of hearing TV members rag on Thais when their own countries are usually worse.  The replies have been interesting and revealing.

21 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Sex makes many stupid.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

OP / People moan and complain on here, mostly Tongue in Cheek, its a bit of a Laugh, people like you get all upset about it because people in here are taking the Piss out of your beloved Thailand, what is posted in here on a Daily basis is not a true reflection of how people are feeling living here, and for you to make such a sweeping generalisation is ridiculous, and quite frankly if people live here and feel they want to complain then thats their business, who are you to criticise how they feel.  

21 minutes ago, gaff said:

@joeyg

We are here because people are cheap, women are expensive, food is cheap, living on the beach is cheap, and weather is hot.

How can you say women is cheap? You mean easy to get, or cheap like not expensive? A Falang women from my country would be hellalot more cheap than any Thai woman I have met. A falang woman pay her bills, pay for her food, her housing, her clothes, even pay the bill a good night out! It is a great misunderstanding, the Thai ladys are cheap, if not you are a cheap charlie, and like to abuse your thai gf/wife. 

Be a man and suck it up

12 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

OP / People moan and complain on here, mostly Tongue in Cheek, its a bit of a Laugh, people like you get all upset about it because people in here are taking the Piss out of your beloved Thailand, what is posted in here on a Daily basis is not a true reflection of how people are feeling living here, and for you to make such a sweeping generalisation is ridiculous, and quite frankly if people live here and feel they want to complain then thats their business, who are you to criticise how they feel.  

Thank you for you opinion.

Archived