Private investors being wooed over planned marina for Samui

webfact

Private investors being wooed over planned marina for Samui

Captain Charlie Dwyer from Asia Pacific Superyachts says the government are now seeking interest from the private sector

By The Thaiger

IMG_2315-1024x683.jpg

Samui is looking to establish the island’s first marina and is currently looking to investors for the project in the Gulf of Thailand.

Asia Pacific Superyachts reports that Koh Samui has succeeded in attracting international five-star brands, a strong luxury villas market as well as quality golf courses.

The report says that superyacht sailors are now coming to the region but looking beyond Phuket in the Andaman Sea for their journeys. Koh Samui and the nearby islands provide a perfect marine playground for the world’s superyachts in the Gulf of Thailand.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/lifestyle/private-investors-being-wooed-over-planned-marina-for-samui

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-04-20

There are a few small marinas already as far as I know. One decent golf course and no need for a marina as these superyachts usually appear once a month and sit between samui and koh phangan . So they want a marina that will be used probably 10 times or less a year ?? 

Not to mention I would say these yachts put zero into the local economy really as they are usually fully stocked with everything before setting sail .

2 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

There are a few small marinas already as far as I know. One decent golf course and no need for a marina as these superyachts usually appear once a month and sit between samui and koh phangan . So they want a marina that will be used probably 10 times or less a year ?? 

Not to mention I would say these yachts put zero into the local economy really as they are usually fully stocked with everything before setting sail .

Not so, only breakwater style marina's in Samui and fuel from drums. The local economy would benift considerably from a marina. Fresh provisions, fuel and water are always required. Many jobs for Thai's.They talk mainly about super yachts (which there are many, and visit the Andaman but not the Gulf) but many other boats could use the facilities. The Islands USM, KT and KPM are really a closed shop at present with a few grave yards of boats not maintained because lack of trained staff and infrastructure.

6 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

I think it all depends whom the planners of the marina want to cater for.

If they want to attract the many average yachties they might be more successful than providing for the high end yachts only.

Regarding your last sentense: Smart sailors do stock up at every possible occasion.

Fresh vegetable, fruits, water, beer, wine... you name it. And Thailand is a rather inexpensive place with a great selection of all things necessary for yachties.

Many sailors are also looking for places to store their yachts while flying back to their home countries and keep working to raise more money for the next leg.

Delusional !!!

The Island is being destroyed on an enormous level at a rapid speed ... and nobody wants to see it

because it spoils the dream of the beautiful paradise island.

Money money money at whatever cost ... will end in a disaster [which it already is for whoever dares to look !]

On 4/20/2018 at 9:50 AM, ronaldo0 said:

Interesting, please let me know where these marinas are we are desperate to visit Koh Samui with our yacht without using the anchoring plan. 

19 hours ago, Boatfreak said:

Interesting, please let me know where these marinas are we are desperate to visit Koh Samui with our yacht without using the anchoring plan. 

Banrak and as far as I know the others are smaller and around the south near the Conrad/intercontinental hotel .

Who on earth in their right mind would invest in this place?!!  No respect for contracts, change the rules at a moments notice and unable to maintain 1st world standards of quality and service.  Or have i missed something!

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 10:50 PM, ronaldo0 said:

Never seen a superyacht sitting between Phangan and Samui.

How about fix the <deleted> roads and sort out the stink of shit and rubbish first. Read online that there’s no money for taking care of these basic things... absolutely shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, tank81 said:

How about fix the <deleted> roads and sort out the stink of shit and rubbish first. Read online that there’s no money for taking care of these basic things... absolutely shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you read the headline of the thread it says "private investestors". 

Archived