Swift punishment for four provinces’ police chiefs over Songkran carnage

webfact

Swift punishment for four provinces’ police chiefs over Songkran carnage

By The Nation

A_xcwYi4JKHm_2017-07-17_1500276946resized_pic.jpg

FILE photo

National police commissioner Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda has signed orders for four provincial police commanders to be transferred to new posts, accusing them of negligence during the so-called “seven dangerous days” of Songkran from April 11 through Tuesday.

Pol Maj Generals Thiwa Boondamnoen of Bueng Kan, San Phoraksam of Phetchaburi, Thawai Buranarak of Amnat Charoen and Chairat Thipayachan of Saraburi were transferred to the National Police Operations Centre on Thursday.

Chakthip had said the day before he was dissatisfied with the performance of several provincial police chiefs in curbing road fatalities during Songkran and was considering their transfer.

The four provinces had the worst death tolls in the country and day-to-day increases compared to last year.

This Songkran, 418 people were killed on the roads and 3,897 injured in 3,724 accidents, up slightly from last year’s 390 deaths and 3,808 injuries in 3,690 accidents, according to the Road Safety Centre.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30343569

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-20

I wonder what Pol Gen Chakthip was doing over Songkran to help control order? Busy waiing and pandering to other 'dignitaries' in BKK?

I doubt this guy has ever worked a day on traffic patrol on a regular day never mind Songkran.

He should take ultimate responsibility himself.

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

National police commissioner Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda has signed orders for four provincial police commanders to be transferred to new posts, accusing them of negligence

The whole Thai police force is negligent based on their road safety performance 365 days a year, why single out just 14 days a year.

The road carnage is 24hrs a day 365 days a year and responsibility starts from the top down 

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

The whole Thai police force is negligent based on their road safety performance 365 days a year, why single out just 14 days a year.

The road carnage is 24hrs a day 365 days a year and responsibility starts from the top down 

A "pass the buck" flow-chart exists for these sort of occasions. The person at the top who has ultimate responsibility puts the boot up someone below them and they in turn put it up someone under them until all the blame publicity finally stops with some subordinate who had little or no control over the situation in the first place. 

Similarly there is a reverse flow-chart for the occasion when others in the lower ranks do something masterly and praiseworthy then the credit for that goes back up the ladder to the person at the top who then makes public announcements proclaiming the glory of the achievement for themselves. Thai-ism 

I feel a bit conflicted over this to be honest. There's no doubt in my mind that many, many senior officers need to be purged but in a perverse way I feel sorry for these 4 because overall, it will have little to no effect at all. It's just the puppets dancing...

14 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

A "pass the buck" flow-chart exists for these sort of occasions. The person at the top who has ultimate responsibility puts the boot up someone below them and they in turn put it up someone under them until all the blame publicity finally stops with some subordinate who had little or no control over the situation in the first place. 

Similarly there is a reverse flow-chart for the occasion when others in the lower ranks do something masterly and praiseworthy then the credit for that goes back up the ladder to the person at the top who then makes public announcements proclaiming the glory of the achievement for themselves. Thai-ism 

Since when has all the above passing the buck been uniquely Thai ?

Just now, NanLaew said:

Since when has all the above passing the buck been uniquely Thai ?

I didn't say it was. The word Tha-ism is the clue. My comments were in reference to someone in particular whose name I am not allowed to mention in a disparaging manner. 

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

They can keep transferring and rotating because the numbers will keep 'improving'. Another waste of taxpayers money as these transfers surely incurred high relocation costs.

In other words the incapable and insincere cops are never fired or retired early, they just keep getting rotated and possibly even get promotions, and are seen as role models, and real live examples of 'you can't get fired'.

Where's the re-invention of the RTP?

418 deaths over 7 days = 60 per day.

I wonder what the daily average is for every other day of the year that is not one of the seven dangerous days?

Seems to me that every day is a dangerous day, and the daily count is probably not far below the Songkran dangerous day count.

Why are the road accident tolls much lower in Uk and Europe? Because their police forces actually enforce the laws,and therefore there is a deterrent factor.

What DO the Thai police actually do? Well does anyone know?

Virtually never see them out on the road except at checkpoints.I drive a lot all over the country and have hardly ever seen a police cruiser chase or stop a car.Until the RTP get out there and do something these figures will only continue to get worse.

In fact I blame most of the carnage on the police not doing the job they should be doing.Bad driving is not being stopped and little or no enforcement means many drivers think it is ok to jump the lights,speed, drink drive( 60k+caught recently) and every other infringement we all see every day.

Too many Thai drivers have developed bad driving habits that go unpunished so much so that they no longer see what they do as anything other than the norm and therefore ok.

Be fair, it's the idiots that drink and drive that cause the problem - not the police. It's also not the police fault that the punishments do not fit the crime in this country - maybe start transferring judges and judiciary too. Do the police bear some blame , yes, but sometimes - when  they actually do do their job - they are stuck in the middle.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

In other words the incapable and insincere cops are never fired or retired early, they just keep getting rotated and possibly even get promotions, and are seen as role models, and real live examples of 'you can't get fired'.

Where's the re-invention of the RTP?

What you say is right. I think the problem stems from the fact they have "purchased" their position. Like anyone making a purchase; ownership becomes their's. Bit hard to offer a refund after taking away the guaranteed employment they have "purchased" from a higher ranking officer. Probably the one dishing out the punishment.

I suspect this is an "unwritten" RTP law. Easiest solution is a temporary transfer to "inactive post" where their punishment is loss of income by being removed from the "Distribution List".

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I wonder what Pol Gen Chakthip was doing over Songkran to help control order? Busy waiing and pandering to other 'dignitaries' in BKK?

I doubt this guy has ever worked a day on traffic patrol on a regular day never mind Songkran.

He should take ultimate responsibility himself.

I don’t think there is a single officer to have ever worked a complete day on traffic patrol, especially if you exclude those engaged in farang-taxing, running their own businesses or visiting dubious places of entertainment.

4 hours ago, chaiyapoon said:

Why are the road accident tolls much lower in Uk and Europe? Because their police forces actually enforce the laws,and therefore there is a deterrent factor.

What DO the Thai police actually do? Well does anyone know?

Virtually never see them out on the road except at checkpoints.I drive a lot all over the country and have hardly ever seen a police cruiser chase or stop a car.Until the RTP get out there and do something these figures will only continue to get worse.

In fact I blame most of the carnage on the police not doing the job they should be doing.Bad driving is not being stopped and little or no enforcement means many drivers think it is ok to jump the lights,speed, drink drive( 60k+caught recently) and every other infringement we all see every day.

Too many Thai drivers have developed bad driving habits that go unpunished so much so that they no longer see what they do as anything other than the norm and therefore ok.

At 8 o'clock this evening, I drove 1.5 km home from a restaurant and passed three m/cycles with no rear lights and witnessed a lady with two young kids on board her m/c driving towards me with no lights at all.  They just do not seem to appreciate the danger until either something hits them or they run into something.  The driving test (if the rider/driver has bothered to take one) is an absolute joke and the police do practically no law enforcement at all.  Hence the road carnage!                    

One thing to keep in mind: traffic death/injury stats can be manipulated by provincial health departments.   True story, and they are manipulated.   Bonuses are paid to officials who meet provincial "traffic safety targets"......and  "juice" flows to those that can assist in meeting those targets.   If the "juice" didn't flow as needed, or someone has an alternate agenda, the numbers will reflect that as well.   TIT.  (paraphrased from healthcare/ministry of health employees)

Using these four commanders as scapegoats. How can they perform their duty and how can any police officer perform his duty when they must buy their own equipement, their own guns, their own motorbikes. When is the government going to supply the RTP with the equipement that they need to perform their duty? When is the government going to set up a properly equiped Highway Patrol to do the patrols of the highways instead of these useless road blocks? There is the problem that needs fixing.

Archived