Civil Court expected to hand down judgement on Hollywood film “The Beach” in July

snoop1130

Civil Court expected to hand down judgement on Hollywood film “The Beach” in July

the-beach.jpg

The Civil Court’s environmental division has finished hearing of evidence from the Thai  plaintiff and the US  defendant over the controversial filming of Hollywood film The Beach, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, at Krabi’s famous Maya Bay in 1998, and expected to hand down the judgement in July.

The Thai plaintiff comprising Krabi Provincial Administration Organization and the Ao Nang Tambon Administration Organization,  filed a civil suit against the Royal Forest Department (RFD) and its former director-general Plodprasop Suraswadi, former Agriculture Minister Pongpol Adireksarn, the US film maker 20th Century Fox and its Thai coordinator Santa International Film Production Co, after finding that the film maker’s alterations of the beach’s landscape have led to irreversible ecological damage to Hat Noppharat Thara – Mu Ko Phi Phi national park.

The plaintiff sought 100-million-baht compensation for rehabilitation of the area.

The court accepted the lawsuit in 2012, and conducted its own inspection of the beach in 2013, to collect evidence and question local people.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/civil-court-expected-hand-judgement-hollywood-film-beach-july/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-4-20

How ironic that thousands of Chinese visitors arriving daily in their (Thai-operated) excursion boats at Maya Beach have in the meantime apparently caused such tremendous ecological damage that it is to soon be shut down for a handful of months, reportedly to "recover".

Planting a few trees not native to the island (which after filming were removed again, by the way) and shifting a few sand dunes as reportedly done by the film crew seems trivial by comparison and the claim of "irreversible damage" is almost laughable in the light of what has been going on on that beach for the past decade literally on a daily basis.  

Since the Krabi Provincial Administration Organization and the Ao Nang Tambon Administration Organization are oh so concerned about the island's environment, will they also file a civil lawsuit against the Chinese government for sending over all their citizens? Of course not. It was a rhetorical question. 

It has taken the court 6 years to reach a hearing, brown envelopes obviously weren't thick enough to delay proceedings any longer. 

What is the point, any ruling will be appealed, and the circus will go on for another 20 years or so...

42 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

How ironic that thousands of Chinese visitors arriving daily in their (Thai-operated) excursion boats at Maya Beach have in the meantime apparently caused such tremendous ecological damage that it is to soon be shut down for a handful of months, reportedly to "recover".

Planting a few trees not native to the island (which after filming were removed again, by the way) and shifting a few sand dunes as reportedly done by the film crew seems trivial by comparison and the claim of "irreversible damage" is almost laughable in the light of what has been going on on that beach for the past decade literally on a daily basis.  

Since the Krabi Provincial Administration Organization and the Ao Nang Tambon Administration Organization are oh so concerned about the island's environment, will they also file a civil lawsuit against the Chinese government for sending over all their citizens? Of course not. It was a rhetorical question. 

You are probably the most intelligent person I have seen posting on this site.

So it takes 20 years to get to this point in the Thai judicial system. It took a brief 7 years to collect evidence about a few coconut trees. Little wonder many consider Thailand a basket case......which it is! 

53 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

So it takes 20 years to get to this point in the Thai judicial system. It took a brief 7 years to collect evidence about a few coconut trees. Little wonder many consider Thailand a basket case......which it is! 

No, it didn't take 20 years, it took 7 years because...

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

...The court accepted the lawsuit in 2012...

Little wonder many consider so many Thaivisa comments/posters basketcases!

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

US film maker 20th Century Fox

Big money to be extracted from them, that's the motivation right there!  See farang, get money, same as usual.

Thailand concerned about the environment?  :cheesy:

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, it didn't take 20 years, it took 7 years because...

Little wonder many consider so many Thaivisa comments/posters basketcases!

wow  just 7,  good  job  no  deaths  were  involved  then,  thats  so  much  better

44 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Well it's 13 years better than the 20 you tried to claim it took.

haha "I" claimed nothing of the sort, you confuse me with another poster...........but its  ok, Im a forgiving sort, a  swift couple of bricks to the crackers will settle  this ....................eeeeeeeeek that made me wince:shock1:

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai plaintiff comprising Krabi Provincial Administration Organization

Is that the same PAO that did not oppose (albeit it did make alternative suggestions) Egat's 800MW coal power plant in Krabi?

47 minutes ago, kannot said:

haha "I" claimed nothing of the sort, you confuse me with another poster...........but its  ok, Im a forgiving sort, a  swift couple of bricks to the crackers will settle  this ....................eeeeeeeeek that made me wince:shock1:

So sorry!

Too funny. They have made billions from tourists because "The Beach" made Maya Bay

a must stop check off the list place to experience when to vacation in Thailand and you take

the producers to court. They invest nothing back into protecting the environment there and

try to squeeze 30 million baht from the film's producers so corrupt officials can further feed

from the trough. I am flabbergasted, even when I know this is what I should expect here.

They will create any opportunity to lie cheat and steal. Just as this opportunity has shown lol..What a funny story. 

Get down to Pattaya and City Hall..The damage is catastrophic! Heads should roll. But of course no way to get cash..This is like the Australia gold mine robbery. Same Same 

41 minutes ago, NutsMango said:

Idiots got insane free advertising, their greed totally destroyed the place and now they thinking

"oh my buda, how do we get some more $$$ out of it, kap?"

"Let's sue the film makers!"

amature con artists

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

Too funny. They have made billions from tourists because "The Beach" made Maya Bay

a must stop check off the list place to experience when to vacation in Thailand and you take

the producers to court. They invest nothing back into protecting the environment there and

try to squeeze 30 million baht from the film's producers so corrupt officials can further feed

from the trough. I am flabbergasted, even when I know this is what I should expect here.

scammers that's all they know. bread and butter staff. Somchai had a brain fart. They could not spell environment and have no clue what it is. Check there vehicles and no bins lol

Is this April's Fool - delayed like most other things here in this country? 

Ever driven on highways (I do 60'000kms/yearly) behind Thai vehicles and public transport buses and seen, what is thrown out of these vehicles all the times?
Ever seen how an area looks once a Thai party is over?
Ever watched quality tourists of China ransacking every corner of beaches, restaurants while crapping anywhere on the floor (arguably organic - hopefully) or just dropping whatever is no longer used (food wrappers, bottles, plastic bags etc.)? 

The movie was made 20 years ago, 14 years later the court started looking into it and now, six years after a lot of very hard and thorough work .........

Are all aware that the internet also works overseas and everybody can read all this stuff?

Ridiculous and pathetic! 

20 hours ago, saakura said:

Was this a politically motivated lawsuit (i can see some pro Thaksin names) or are they really getting serious about conseving the nature?

It's a dangerous game they're playing. At risk is the use of Thailand as a filming location. If Thailand hands 20thC Fox a loss, I doubt the Thai film industry will be worth anything very much at all, and it will be a self-inflicted wound; a massive footshot.

The big goldfish, small bowl syndrome. But perhaps sanity will prevail and Thai pooyays will learn how to see themselves in context.

Yes, I know, still, optimism is a wonderful thing.

6 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

It's a dangerous game they're playing.

I sincerely hope every film directer nixes Thailand as a possible future location. How much money have they made off this movie? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! And all so some extra pigs can get their snout in the trough. And I want to see every copy existant in Thailand destroyed. Playing it every night on some loop in KS, and then coming out with this BS, unbelievable.

Archived