"Lady boy doctor" tells tourist: Come back when you're dying! Google the meaning of ER"

webfact

"likely the staff told lil miss attitude ridden sophisticated bar girl and mr. terminal earache  "if you want to be seen immediately come back with a life threatening problem aka "come back when you are dying" and you will be appropriately be seen immediately.  very likely they had the perfectly viable option of waiting until the higher acuity patients were seen and stabilized.  all post triage of course. this may very well mean waiting a few hours. "

sums up my belief about what likely actually transpired that made the girl feel  slighted and make a big deal to the media.  

i have followed things in the past that seemed like genuine medical negligence / malpractice however in this i agree with the majority of posters in making a mountain out of a mo hill 

"normal countries... perhaps even the one you came from... (perhaps not) require any patient presenting, to be treated. Failure to treat can result in legal action ( because failing to treat is WRONG).... one poster said it was a 50k fine in the USA.... and whilst I’m not sure about Oz... I do know that it is not tolerated (uninsured folk cannot be denied, either)"

time to time self entitled obnoxious belligerent patients at usa er's do the very same thing and they are informed how triage and lever of acuity works and sometime these patients refuse to accept reality continue to be a holes while er staff is more than busy with very ill patients and triaging new ones. generally the sickest ones are brought by ambulance and the others known as "walk ins" are typically (with exceptions) less acute. they may complain and bitch because they saw patients arriving after them that entered to be treated but anyone that walks in c/o chest pain and or difficulty breathing gets seen ASAP..  if after mr earache is triaged a person with possible heart attack or asthmatic is taken in right away for treatment and they cannot accept or understand the rationale why they need to wait their option are #wait or leave.  this my friend is the typical scenario and nobody loses their license nor are they fined.

in addition at least one large military hospital i know of with a very busy high acuity er announces to walk ins in the waiting room how long the current waiting time to be seen is. typically the waiting room is filled with self entitled defendants with trivial problems that cannot accept waiting.

examples; mosquito bite, kids with runny noses, constipation for 10 years that hasn't changed. 

by any chance are protestant?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone should cut the Katoy's sack. No, I mean cut him some slack. Wait, cut her some slack. Yes, right. That.

But seriously, reading between the lines, since the doctor was gone when the press called, it was probably toward the end of his shift when the incident occurred. Do doctor's in ER's in public hospitals in Thailand pull 12 and 16 hour shifts like interns in the US?

Since we only have one side of the story, there's no telling how much attitude was shown before the doctor made his comment. Since it clearly wasn't an emergency, they may have had to wait for a while and been visibly impatient. My suspicion is that there was some considerable attitude displayed before the doctor said anything.

Or perhaps something was lost in the translation of tenses from Thai. "Come back when you've died" and "Come back when you're dying" are a bit different, in English.

12 hours ago, jerry921 said:

Thailand pull 12 and 16 hour shifts like interns in the US?

not just interns, attending shifts vary from 8, 12, 16, or 24 or more hours depending on volume. Some very rural places havec24 hour shifts cause may just get 8 -12 patients.

Interns are limited to 12 and they must supervised.

The "new swedes" (and their entourage) in Sweden frequently fill up our ER's for everything from common colds to sore elbows then they get aggressive when the doctors prioritize actually injured people and start fighting. This is why all ER's have security guards these days. 

You're NOT supposed to go there for trivial shit. The ladyboy doctor was right though she could use some people skills. 

Archived