"Lady boy doctor" tells tourist: Come back when you're dying! Google the meaning of ER"

webfact

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The headline is highly unfair and misleading.... 

The Dr. working the ER was right, an ear infection is not an Emergency Case - but the handling of the situation was clumsy in the extreme. 

IF at night time and there was no ENT outpatient treatment available then the patient at least needs pain relief.

IF in the daytime and ENT Doctors are on duty the patient can simply be re-routed to that department. It's not always clear where to go in the hospitals, especially for visitors. 

..give him some 'Tiffy'..be right in a 'Jiffy'.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

sounds fair to me

the doc probably seen enough carnage from road accidents  

who goes to ER with an ear ache?

pussy

What starts as an ear ache, can be symptomatic of many issues.... you know.... air nose mouth.... complications can lead to perforated air drums, infection, loss of hearing, loss of teeth and even in loss of life.

as to pussy behavior... I have twice been laid low for multiple days, on all sorts of drugs, unable to feed or clean myself due to significant pain from ear infections

anyway... that’s my experience... but then, perhaps I’m a pussy, too

regards going to an ER.... what a tosser of a Doctor... but still a doctor, right... perhaps he needs to read the definition of a doctor and review his oath, before making a female reproductive organ of himself, by suggesting patients in pain go googling the function of an ER

perhaps he also needs to grow a heart, and realize that non medical people will always view their personal situation as an emergency, especially when coupled with little education of what does constitute a medical emergency

perhaps the hospital (and this doc in particular) needs investigating for refusing to treat a patient (which I’m sure, even in Thailand, is a no no.... western lawyers would be loving this), with the doctor being suspended, for having a pathetic attitude, when his vocation is all about helping the sick

but... yes... triage and prioritize... definitely

6 minutes ago, speckio said:

First off before criticizing and judging other people for using improper English maybe you should take your own advice cause judging by what you just wrote your English isn't so great either... secondly English is obviously not the Dr's native language it's Thai so they have a pretty good excuse for not being able to use "perfect English" whats your excuse?

Who said the Doctor was speaking in English?  The report is coming from the Thai girl, not the Iranian so probably the conversation was in Thai with the girl then translating it into English

There is truth in what the Doc said, but also a serious lack of professionalism and self control.  

This Doc, for whatever reason, believes in telling people like it is.  If the Doc has engaged in this truth telling style too many times, the hospital is eventually going to make a business decision.

If that happens, will this Doc recognize and accept the truth that it was his poor customer service skills that lead to termination?  Or will the bigotry/ discrimination card be deployed?

Another idea tickling me is the Pattaya "friend" from Surin.  Does she have the social status chops to pull this off against a Doctor?  Ladyboy or otherwise.   Really is all on her.  The Iranian tourist, while probably annoyed, isn't the one who threw the Facebook grenade.

45 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

The Doctor is right.This is not an emergency unless he is in serious pain.Go to a clinic cheap Charlie.

So.... if he was in serious pain and distress .... as in enough pain and distress to, let’s say, go to an emergency room... then that’s appropriate, right?

and then, when the guy presents at an emergency room, perhaps in severe pain and distress, as One might image... (what, with extreme pain and distress being a huge motivator to not wait untill the morning, but to go post haste to an ER room).... the doctor doesn’t action the case, beyond sarcastically telling him to bugger off.... really proffessional... really really proffessional... no wonder they want to be an international medical hub, with so much medical professionalism to offer tourists... and they obviously have the ethics sorted.

anyway... blah blah... he (patient) was in distress... the doctor trivialized and humiliated the patient.... there is nothing right about what this doctor did... nothing

3 minutes ago, farcanell said:

So.... if he was in serious pain and distress .... as in enough pain and distress to, let’s say, go to an emergency room... then that’s appropriate, right?

and then, when the guy presents at an emergency room, perhaps in severe pain and distress, as One might image... (what, with extreme pain and distress being a huge motivator to not wait untill the morning, but to go post haste to an ER room).... the doctor doesn’t action the case, beyond sarcastically telling him to bugger off.... really proffessional... really really proffessional... no wonder they want to be an international medical hub, with so much medical professionalism to offer tourists... and they obviously have the ethics sorted.

anyway... blah blah... he (patient) was in distress... the doctor trivialized and humiliated the patient.... there is nothing right about what this doctor did... nothing

That is IF the Thai girl was telling it how it was.  In Thailand pretty much everyone lies or exaggerates so let's not take any of this as being in any way balanced or truthful!

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

In Thailand pretty much everyone lies or exaggerates so let's not take any of this as being in any way balanced or truthful!

Rather racist statement. Also, I find it very insulting as I have been married to a Thai for nearly 20 years. I wonder what your Thai friends or relatives would say if you said this too them. 

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

That is IF the Thai girl was telling it how it was.  In Thailand pretty much everyone lies or exaggerates so let's not take any of this as being in any way balanced or truthful!

???.... yes.... but... what?

if the Thai girlfriend said so... it is enough justification to look... more than enough. To not look would be negligent

following the prelim exam... give panadol... send them away, if it’s exaggerated

the what if, which nessesitates medical action, by a doctor, to a registered patient, is....  what if the Thai girl is telling the truth? (Lol... image it... the patient dies from complications untreated because a doctor said to come back when your dying?.... outstanding... how’s your reputation going thailand... turning medical patients away now ?)

again... triage... prioritize.

and really.... how easy is it to look in an ear... assess the problem.... deal with it (and come back in a few hours, in need... emotional distress and anxiety dealt with... pain dealt with... everyone happy)

Firstly the girl probably never went to school. She wasn't a university graduate going to look for an Arab boyfriend. Good chance she was sold by her farming parents to the sex business.

The doctor is probably sick of the lower echelons of Thai society coming in with their drunken foreign clients. 

17 minutes ago, poanoi said:

the doctor was rightly upset that an imbecile thought

a possible ear infection was good enough to occupy the emergency room,

and sod whomever is brought from a traffic accident

? so.... you have no knowledge of medical triage and prioritization practices then... ?

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Really? ER  personnel from around the world would probably applaud or smile or  say "right on". The hospital is a public hospital and its clientele are typically the poor and disadvantaged.  There was probably one overworked physician on staff and in walks the non emergency farang cheap charlie. If he wanted urgent care he should have gone to a proper hospital where there were multiple physicians available.

Ahh, but here's the issue; the doctor should not have been presented with this case. In properly managed ERs there is a triage process, where the  patients are screened, usually by a nurse. True emergency cases get priority. Other cases, wait. This is a short staffed underfunded facility. It doesn't have the resources to dispense free medical care to foreigners.

An ER is not intended to treat non critical care cases.

Correct 

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Rather racist statement. Also, I find it very insulting as I have been married to a Thai for nearly 20 years. I wonder what your Thai friends or relatives would say if you said this too them. 

Racist?  Maybe you are right.  I have been married to my Thai wife for over fifteen years and we lived together before that so probably about the same as you.  My comments are based on living in S.E.A for over twenty years.  As for my Thai relatives and friends.... Well my wife is the first to say that you cannot believe anything anyone says in Thailand.  "It is just the way it is".  My Thai friends are mainly business related and they go to great lengths to play a straight bat with me but they are very aware that I am always sceptical of what I am told.  In the early days of my marriage some of my in-laws would test the water with some tall tales but after being barracked by my wife they decided not to bother.   

The ER is supposed to treat any case that presents when it is after hours and other venues in the hospital are closed.  However, as was mentioned triage takes place in which the most urgent cases are seen first.  

The doctor was wrong and needs an attitude adjustment- He has no right to speak to anyone in the manner he chose and should be disciplined.  The patient may have had an ear infection and needed antibiotics. His nationality; sexual orientation; status of the person accompanying him and any other sundry issue has no bearing on the case.

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Firstly the girl probably never went to school. She wasn't a university graduate going to look for an Arab boyfriend. Good chance she was sold by her farming parents to the sex business.

The doctor is probably sick of the lower echelons of Thai society coming in with their drunken foreign clients. 

Rather racist don't you think? :smile:

Good chance she was sold by her farming parents to the sex business?  And maybe she did have a degree and was working in the hotel the Iranian was staying in and because she spoke a language that he did, she decided to help him.  Unlikely but  no more than your bigoted view.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

stingy Iranian....

Can you explain what is stingy about going to an ER? It costs more than a regular doctor's office visit.

They obviously went to the ER because it was after hours for a regular doctor's visit.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Then sarcastically the doctor is alleged to have said that they should Google ER to find out what an emergency room is for.

Maybe the good doctor should use Google too. He can suddenly find out what a normal brain function really is.

When I was growing up we all listened to our grand parents and parents as they imparted their knowledge of life to us,and one of the multitudinous things we learned was a small drop of WARM olive oil in the ear sealed by a cotton wool plug cured an earache in about 20 minutes.

But sadly we are now in the age when the generation before us don’t want to learn anything from us because we are

“ dinosaurs “ I mean we had the wheel, they rediscover it, every bl- -dy day.

The doctor is right. Admissions should be screening not doctors. I remember in my former life when welfare shit bags who lived directly across the street from the hospital used to call for an ambulance when they had a headache AND THEY WOULD GET ONE FREE OF CHARGE. Thanks to Uncle Sam that is. 

7 hours ago, robblok said:

The DR was right.. ear problem make an appointment go to a clinic.. not an ER. That is not what an ER is for.

That is not what an ER is for.

Maybe that's how it works in your home country, but not in Thailand. 

Archived