YouTuber who posted about taxi driver goes to police after receiving "extortion" email

webfact

Don't assume the claims that the email was sent by the Frenchman.  It is my opinion that the email is from one of the many Russian scammers operating in Thailand.  It may be that the email was sent by Frenchie, but I have my doubts.  Using the Frenchman's name is a ruse to scare the target - and it may well work as anyone Googling the Frenchman's name will see that he said Frenchman has some association with the Pattaya police.

The suggested payment methods are not traceable.  Bitcoin, forget it.  And in the case of the local Thai bank account, it could be one of the many set up by a scammer paying a small amount of money to a Thai national to set up a bank account in the Thai person's name.  The Thai then cedes control of the account by handing over the passbook and ATM card.  Every time money is extorted by the scammers and deposited in to that account it is immediately withdrawn by someone at an ATM machine, most likely wearing a hat / dark glasses / disguise so they cannot be identified by the images the camera in the ATM machine takes of them.

As the email appears to have been sent from Gmail, it cannot be traced using traditional IP address locators.

There are a lot of Russian scammers in Thailand operating like this.  Their MO is to identify foreigners with an online presence in Thailand who may not be legal in terms of work permit, taxes etc.  They contact them and make various claims.  These can range from claiming their reputation has been damaged - they will often say they are the person in a photo on a website / in a Youtube video which has been published without permission and their reputation has been damaged / they have lost their job / their wife saw them in a bar setting and has left with their children etc.  These scammers do their homework about the person they are targeting and sometimes provide that person's address and if it is not known publicly (such as someone with a YouTube channel running it with an assumed name), they address the person with their real name.  Typically they ask for 100,000 - 200,000 baht, but in the case of those who appear successful, they ask for more.

This smells of Russian scammers.  It could be the Frenchman and if it is, I wonder if he is mixed up with the Russians too.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, robblok said:

Good for him to step forward and bring it in the media.. lets see what action is taken. I hope they get whoever is behind this letter. 

Surprise! It was the complainant. :whistling:

I don't really know, who does at this time? But, hey, it is a media 'tart' involved and so many of them do things in order to get publicity.

First this...

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

The Rooster said Mr Mack's language skills were quite good including a comment about using the 4-5 tonal sounds correctly.  How many have had the Rooster say that about them? 

and then this...

11 hours ago, Elkski said:

but if more Americans had been visiting thailand the last 20 years this problem would not be so bad.   

That's bloody hilarious stuff... pure gold. Thanks for brightening my day.

PS. Can you do some more for manana?

20 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

So from you comment I understand that you condone corruption

Go elsewhere. The "corruption free" countries have rich looking after their friends with the help of lawyers to structure it as legal.

Ridiculous for arrogant farangs to target battlers over 100 baht.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well trace the bank account to someone complicit and stop telling the world about it first!

A close friend of mine went to police about a 5000 baht scam. Had bank account details and bank stated money still in account. Police not interested. He never got his money back but at least learned from the experience. 

Big hugs to everyone. 

13 hours ago, Elkski said:

Present themselves better?   

You mean dress and look just like you?    Not stand up for what's right?   

Living on the fringe?

I hate judgemental people like you!

I did not judge him. I don't care how he looks or carries himself.  If you think going into a court room and addressing a judge wearing shorts, t-shirts and flip flops will benefit you, so be it.  You are free to do that.   As for the fringe, exactly what is his visa and work permit history?  Exactly what are his income sources?  Exactly what sort of travel accident insurance does he have?  Exactly what sort of medical insurance does he have?  So many young people forget that they are guests in that foreign country, yet they insist on reporting things, complaining about things, demanding this, demanding that.  Not to say that all Thai services are the best, but neither are those of many countries.   You want to start posting things in public, one opens oneself up to slander and defamation of character issues, and there is a wide range of how that is handled in various countries, especially not one's own.  So go ahead and act with total disregard for any social custom, present yourself as you wish. 

Easy to track a bank account one might think?  if it was fake what's the point as the funds could not be transferred. 
But the banks are not interested in tracking fake account scammers.

5 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Only petty, bitter, jealous people eeking out a pension from the West would think otherwise.

Where is the proof he has monetised his content? I see no ads on his vids at all. 

Work permits for making YouTube videos now?

What next, need a work permit for carrying my bags from the airport? Posting on Facebook or using Twitter? Get a grip you auld fools.

He's handsome (ask my gf, she seems to think so), speaks fluent Thai (seems to anger the bitters), and makes popular videos that the Thais love. Well done to him I say. 

Nothing is going to happen to this guy and this extortion attempt will backfire guaranteed. 

If an ad pops up before his videos play then I guess he gets royalty payments. Technically, doing something in Thailand that gets money outside of Thailand may be classed as working. It really doesn't matter much on the specifics though, once the spotlight is on you.

Keep a low profile and change out your fluoro lights for Led lights.  Let's save the planet together.

Group hug.

20 hours ago, Rob5lax said:

Interesting to watch if the power of social can get justice.  His next stop can be social that impacts the tourism industry - new tools to be played.

The email lacks any kind of sophistication can likely be traced to source.

and BTC is not private ... a little investigation can find the holder.  Not easy but doable.  

BTC is not easily traceable as you say. An anonymous wallet can be set-up in seconds............then once a transfer is made to that wallet those funds can be sent to a tumbler that conceals any further movement of the funds. No amount of investigation can find the holder. 

19 hours ago, Top Chef said:

Has Pandoras box been opened..???

Whatever the case may be .....CORRUPTION BEGETS CORRUPTION.....EVIL BEGETS EVIL

Thailand has, no doubt, set itself up for just this type of scandal. This just might be the ticket that Thailand needs to come to terms with its plague of 'massive internal corruption problems'. Let it be said that things have to get worse before they get better. A corrupt society from head to toe. Personally I think that corruption here is too imbedded and

this issue will just fizzle out. Too bad.  

:welcomeani::WPFflags:

In Thailand it is petty corruption......look to the UK for the real stuff

On 4/22/2018 at 11:50 PM, BobBKK said:

Easy to track a bank account one might think?  if it was fake what's the point as the funds could not be transferred. 

Will that much effort be expended? It might since this is now getting a lot of press. 

On 23/04/2018 at 7:05 PM, kingkenny said:

What type of loser would you need to be to pretend to be associated with the Thai police in any way, shape or form. 

Cock womble 

And Danny, get a haircut, you look like a knob. 

That is a haircut, these days.... Lol

14 hours ago, BigC said:

If he speaks fluent thai why the sender not send it in thai

The best thing to do for investigators would be to transfer the 200k to that account and monitor it

Arrest whoever touches it and put them under the he to see who else is involved 

I actually saw this haircut on several guy on my last plane home.   One guy was near 45 with wife and kids in tow.  He looked pretty professional.  Not all CEOs top Business executives  look like some of you guys remember.   

17 hours ago, Elkski said:

I actually saw this haircut on several guy on my last plane home.   One guy was near 45 with wife and kids in tow.  He looked pretty professional.  Not all CEOs top Business executives  look like some of you guys remember.   

I know several people who are very wealthy but you sure wouldn't know it to look at them..... 

Mostly Young guys in the 20's and 30's who have already made  more than enough for life

On 4/24/2018 at 4:02 AM, BigC said:

If he speaks fluent thai why the sender not send it in thai

Indeed! :smile:

Follow the Bitcoin trail...?

Danny Mac would not appear to be a native speaker of English, in any case: 

Sorry, Mr Mac.  :wai:  "All publicity is good publicity!"

32 minutes ago, BigC said:

Why so many Forangs have silly hair cuts

i've seen loads of guys with that silly haircut. when i was a kid i had an undercut so can't say too much. what was the undercut all about

9 minutes ago, clash said:

i've seen loads of guys with that silly haircut. when i was a kid i had an undercut so can't say too much. what was the undercut all about

I don’t understand why menhaden girls hair cuts

For me it’s skin head all the way at home I look like a racist here I look like a Monk

i reckon people should only be allowed into Thailand with reasonable hair cuts 

short back and sides 

9 minutes ago, BigC said:

I don’t understand why menhaden girls hair cuts

For me it’s skin head all the way at home I look like a racist here I look like a Monk

i reckon people should only be allowed into Thailand with reasonable hair cuts 

short back and sides 

i have short back and sides so i'm in :smile:

Danny Mac is a presenter on Pattaya TV. So I would find it hard to believe that he has no WP. Also he speaks fluent Thai and has had a YouTube blog teaching English for a long as my wife has been watching it.Probably the reason he got the job with Pattaya TV.

Fair play to him for having the balls which so many people on here don't seem to have to use his status in Social Media to highlight what many people know is bad about Thailand. 

I hope that it ends well for him.

38 minutes ago, Bartman1369 said:

Danny Mac is a presenter on Pattaya TV. So I would find it hard to believe that he has no WP. Also he speaks fluent Thai and has had a YouTube blog teaching English for a long as my wife has been watching it.Probably the reason he got the job with Pattaya TV.

Fair play to him for having the balls which so many people on here don't seem to have to use his status in Social Media to highlight what many people know is bad about Thailand. 

I hope that it ends well for him.

I find it easy to believe he doesn't have a WP. Many obvious indiscretions in Thailand that are inexplicably over looked.  And everything works out OK until someone upsets someone. I too hope it's all ancient history by now. 

Archived