"I'm not a shark" says temple abbot as "Jaws" drama hits the dharma!

webfact

"I'm not a shark" says temple abbot as "Jaws" drama hits the dharma!

7pm.jpg

Pictures: Thai Rath

A temple abbot has hit back at claims that he and his monks have been tossing out food to attract sharks.

The online claims said that Phra Ajarn Daeng and his saffron clad men have been enticing the sharks so that more tourists visit his temple to make merit and so bring in more cash to the temple coffers.

Phra Daeng - also known as Phra Bunyaphiram of Wat Tham Khao Tao - is one of those in the news following the bite on a Norwegian tourist at the Sai Noi beach near Hua Hin last week.

72.jpg

The incident caused much drama and now the beach by the temple is closed, signage has gone up and a 350 meter protective net is in the offing.

But now the drama has moved to the realm of the dharma (cosmic law applied to Buddhist teachings).

Phra Daeng said that the sharks have been visiting in great numbers for years - sometimes there were as many as 50 two meter bull sharks in February. He never said anything as he wanted the sharks left alone and not hunted.

However, when the tourist was bitten he told the authorities what he knew.

71.jpg

Now there are a steady stream of tourists visiting his temple all day long.

But he denied feeding the sharks or profiting from the tourists.

He said that in reality his costs in terms of bills and other items have gone us as a result and he claimed that the temple does not even charge for incense and flowers.

His temple was not involved in money making as claimed by some people, he told Thai Rath.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-23

Regardless if the cynical suspicion is right or wrong, the fact Thais have the sack to challenge monks and temples in this way, gives me hope.

As for the devout engaged in shark related ceremonial gyrations, if the How To book said stand on your head and sing a tune from Mary Poppins, they would.  :coffee1:

The Thai Director of Marine & Coastal Resources seems to have his shit together.  When his staff collects their observations and data, I wouldn't put it past him to confer with his scientific contemporaries outside Thailand if he felt the need to.  That idea gives me hope as well.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that in reality his costs in terms of bills and other items have gone us as a result and he claimed that the temple does not even charge for incense and flowers.

Course not, they just hand over the pre-made basket of food to the seller to sell again and repeat.

I went today to Sai Noi beach. ( soon to be renamed to a SHARK BAY)   for a swim  ith my dog.

Empty beach, no people around (all are up at the temple). Few signs erected and a fishing boat cruising around with fishing nets.  Great swim with no one around.

Ahhhh!! and a Bangkok Post reported took am interview with me. I might be in the news!!

On 4/23/2018 at 10:17 PM, Stokakrishna said:

I went today to Sai Noi beach. ( soon to be renamed to a SHARK BAY)   for a swim  ith my dog.

Empty beach, no people around (all are up at the temple). Few signs erected and a fishing boat cruising around with fishing nets.  Great swim with no one around.

Ahhhh!! and a Bangkok Post reported took am interview with me. I might be in the news!!

What did they ask you? 

Archived